S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Well, the unthinkable happened

Old 10-08-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by 2wheelsand4
Originally Posted by RMurphy' timestamp='1412804903' post='23361979
Ouch. Any chance that dent in the body panel can be corrected with Paintless Dent Removal? If there isn't significant damage to the paint and if a talented pdr tech can get their equipment behind it, sometimes they can smooth it completely out without having to resort to body filler and paint. I've had that done with my own vehicles. I was lucky that the damage was in a place easily accessible by the PDR guy.

Can't avoid the bumper replacement (and I have no advice to give on your question regarding that), but maybe painting the body panel can be avoided.
So do you think my best chance is going with getting the dent removed by a pdr tech and then just getting a bumper painted, color matched best as can, and then installing that myself? Back to the Pdr, do you recommend anyone?
First, I would get recommendations from locals who you know and trust about the best area PDR tech. Around here, I also check Yelp reviews before I get service, but I start by asking my friends who have nice cars and who are as picky as I am. Then take it in for an estimate. It's possible they will tell you it's not an option. But there is no way to know without taking it to them first.

I will not comment on the bumper replacement process. I've never done it, I wouldn't try it, it's not my area of expertise. There are others here with a lot of hands-on knowledge of the process. I would suggest getting guidance from them or local friends whose expertise you trust thoroughly.

I don't know anyone in your area who does PDR. I'm in Los Angeles. See my comments above about seeking recommendations re local service providers. Also, make use of the regional forum (linked to above in this thread).

Best wishes! Hope it comes out good as new!
Old 10-08-2014, 02:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so with some suggestions from RMurphy, I'm going to try to get a PDR tech to pull the dent out. As for the bumper, I'm still not sure what to do about that. If someone can point me to a site to buy a OEM rear bumper? Do they all have to be painted? One of my big concerns is the paint not matching, so If anyone knows any really skilled painters in the Triangle please let me know. I'll also ask in the NC subforum, thanks guys!
Old 10-08-2014, 02:30 PM

Received 186 Likes on 98 Posts

^^ OP realize that they might tell you they can't get behind it and do the PDR job properly. Get an estimate first. But if they *can* do it, it will save you a lot of hassle on body paint. Remember though, that is an IF. You have to take it in for an estimate. And do what you can to find a reputable PDR shop in your area.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy
^^ OP realize that they might tell you they can't get behind it and do the PDR job properly. Get an estimate first. But if they *can* do it, it will save you a lot of hassle on body paint. Remember though, that is an IF. You have to take it in for an estimate. And do what you can to find a reputable PDR shop in your area.
Understood, I felt around behind the bumper and stuff (not that I have any mechanical experience really) but from what I can tell I think they should be able to get to it. But fingers crossed they can take care of it, I'm checking on yelp right now trying to zone in on a place.

Thanks!
Old 10-08-2014, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by RMurphy

+1
Old 10-08-2014, 03:13 PM

Received 1,108 Likes on 988 Posts

Majestic Honda lists an AP1 rear bumper for $240. I believe it comes unpainted , but at least then the paint guy will be able to color match the bumper to the rest of the car.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dings and Dents (north High Point) did the hail damage on my car and did an outstanding job. He's a one-man show and I think he does the work out of his house but he had something like 20+ years of experience in paintless dent repair alone. I had a couple hundred dings of all sizes he was able to get out and the car looks flawless, even to my anal standards.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That dent is 100% pullable. Just take your trunk carpet out and take a look if you don't believe me. There is tons of space between the quarter panel and the reinforcement to where you could pound it out with a hammer and dolly. Literally.

And as far as the bumper, it looks like it's 100% repairable as well. But most big body shops will charge a just as much as the new bumper in labor to do 10 min of sanding, body filling, and more sanding. If your on a budget and handy with some bondo, you can do the prep work yourself and just pay to get it resprayed.

And if your going through insurance, get many estimates and go to where you feel most comfortable with.

You car will be looking like it never happened real soon if you do your homework on who does the best work in your area.
Old 10-09-2014, 06:20 AM

Im not sure why you titled this post unthinkable. Im always thinking some douce who dosent give a shit is gunna hit my car. Always thinking defense personally. I know its your mom though.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if you can find a used bumper. Removing and installing is easy. 5 clips and 4 screws.

Quick Reply: Well, the unthinkable happened