S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Were I to sell my hardtop

Old 04-21-2006, 10:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hockey,Apr 21 2006, 11:33 AM
Maybe because we are sick and tired of people trying to get back 80% or more of the full retail price . Name another used product with that kind of supposed value retention.

I'm glad to see used sales declining. Maybe reality will finally set in and the prices will drop to "acceptable". Quit bleeding people dry and then calling them lowballers for not bending over.....

Rant Over
Actually full retail is over $3200 for the top, the guy who is selling them for $2700 is not going to be selling at that price forever, they are running these prices in an effort to get their internet sales up.

Why is the top holding such a high value? IMO because its not a wear item and even a used one if taken care of is exactly the same as a new one. My top for example is in absolute new condition (put it next to a brand new one and i doubt you would see any difference at all) For some people saving $500-600 for the exact same item is alot of money. Especially when a complete kit with manual is included..

Lots of used parts are selling for a small amount off their new prices. comptech superchargers, work and advan wheels, any mugen or spoon part, fact is if there is a demand for the item, people will gladly buy used if it can save them a few hundred dollars.

I havent seen used sales declining??? people are still asking what they always have been for the tops. You have to remember the demand for them is down currently because of the summer, guess what going to happen in the fall when its starts getting cold out and people are realizing they are going to be using their S2000's in the winter, more people are going to be looking for them...

Bleeding people dry?? a person can save hundred of dollars of the price of a new one, how is that bleeding people dry?

For those waiting for the tops to drop down to the $1200 range, keep waiting...and keep dreaming...i dont see that happening anytime in the near future...

For comparison, go shop for a miata hardtop. They still sell for around $1900 brand new, and sell for $1000 used with no hardware... But remember alot of these hard tops are over 10 years old and still selling for a premium price.. They actually hold value better than the car itself...

Bottom line is, you dont like the prices, either dont buy one, or go spend all the money and buy a new one... Then when the time comes for you to sell the top, well see if your willing to sell at these supposed "acceptable" prices..
Old 04-21-2006, 10:47 AM

I bought mine's, Suzuka blue, with hardware, defroster kit, and a stand (everything I need) for $2k local. I thought it was a really good deal, and still think it is. Black ones are usually easier to sell since black goes with pretty much anything. Colored ones are limited to the market of how many same colored cars are near you, but that also makes them unique.

I think a lot of people are not willing to plop down basically 10% the cost of their car for a roof, when they have a perfectly working softtop. I thought it was a lot of money and did a lot of debating. But I wanted the security when I go on roadtrips. It would just suck if someone cut my top when I was miles from home.

But someone has to develop a security lock mechanism for hardtops. I don't see in my future someone running down the street holding a hardtop, but it could happen.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:02 PM

I looked around for 3 months for a reasonably priced hardtop. The only one that was under $2,000 had moderate hail damage and was the wrong color of my car. It is plain retarded. The people that pay these ridicules prices are the ones that do not know that they can get a brandnew one for $2,700 shipped with all of the hardware.

And for the guy saying that the price will be going up soon there. I bet you are wrong. Flaggstaff Honda had the price set at $2,500 shipped a few months ago but raised it to $2,700 to make more money. If you think about that, Hardtopguy our forum sponsor, is doing nothing more than ripping s2k owners off. Last time I checked it comes out to $3,300 for the hardtop and shipping from Hardtopguy.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:25 PM
R11

[QUOTE=newspeed,Apr 21 2006, 10:00 AM]Actually full retail is over $3200 for the top, the guy who is selling them for $2700 is not going to be selling at that price forever, they are running these prices in an effort to get their internet sales up.

Why is the top holding such a high value?
Old 04-21-2006, 01:31 PM

If being a "whiny little tyke" means that I like to save $500 when buying a hardtop, then I guess you are right.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:08 PM

Fumanchu, when the time comes and you want to sell your hardtop, ill be waiting to see what your asking price will be... If not "acceptable" you can be sure ill bring up all these threads and have them thrown right back at you...

Besides that, i am always for spreading the word about good vendors, but almost every post i have seen from you is advertising for Flagstaff. I sounds to me like you have something to gain from promoting his sales. Seriously why are you trying so hard to promote them?

Look at your sig for crying out loud, you probably have no idea that your commercial advertising for them is against the forum rules when he was offered to become a sponsor of the site and chose not to as far as i am aware. Surely one of the moderators will soon see this and remove it and give you a warning.

You last post is completely contradictory to what you have been saying, you claim you like to save $500. yet bash my price because im selling $500 off flagstaffs price...
Old 04-21-2006, 02:12 PM

oh, BITSA.... what a can of worms... hopefully you get a sense of the mentality some people have around here and an idea of what the tops are selling for...

Good luck with your sale whatever you decide...
Old 04-21-2006, 02:21 PM

I have nothing to gain off of throwing Flaggstaff's name around. I just bought 2 high-dollar items off of him and received excellent service. Is it bad of me that I want to pass around the same savings I got? It's like I am the bad guy for letting everybody know that you don't have to bend over to Hardtopguy's prices for front lips and hardtops.

Competition is good for us. When I was on the rx7forum, I saw how beneficial it was to have a dealer that sold us parts at cheap prices. Never had to deal with an idiot that didn't know what part numbers you were looking for and could get you the parts quickly to your door.

Old 04-21-2006, 02:46 PM

point taken... however u being a gold member shows that you value this forum which is supported through its members, advertisements, and its sponsors. What you are doing is bashing a long time sponsor of this site and instead promoting a vendor who is not supporting this community at all.

Truth be told, flagstaff is great but he is not alone, there are many other dealers who are selling for the same prices with the same service throughout the US. Do you see me promoting all of them on this site?

Hardtop guy is a paying sponsor of the site, he pays money to have his advertisements and name here, regardless if you like his prices or not you should have the respect to not bash him...

That is one thing that really bothers me about this forum, when people see a deal that in their eyes is not the greatest, they jump into the thread and post something to crap all over it and hurt the members sale. If you dont like what you see, move on... what is the point of bashing peoples products and/or prices?

all this being said, i still do not agree with your comments or justifications....it has no place here.
Old 04-21-2006, 02:55 PM

Since I am a gold member and pay good money to keep this forum running smoothly, I could care less if I help promote the sponsors. It's not like they are helping me in anyway. It's not like hardtopguy cares that the search function is the worst I have ever seen on a car forum.

And what is wrong with telling people about a cheaper product. No where did I bash hardtopguy other than saying he is overpriced in my opinion. From what I hear he has great customer service and a good reputation. At least he has that going for him.

Quick Reply: Were I to sell my hardtop