S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What Can I Do With 13-14K? Looking to buy this fall

Old 01-17-2019, 07:24 AM

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Beerski

Yeah I’ll make sure to have some funds set aside to get the car sorted for daily driving, for sure. I guess my main concern was that if I end up only being able to afford a 100k mile example that’s in good condition, if it will carry the same Honda reliability as I’ve known in the past as long as I sort out things that need to be replaced and take care of it.
S2000 is just as reliable as any other Honda.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:27 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
I've found small roadsters make horrible daily drivers where I've lived. The S2000 is so small as to be invisible to the typical inattentive commuter and they all seem to be driving SUVs anyway. I'd keep beating the 2002 Accord and save the S2000 for the weekends out in the country.

If you can't garage the S2000 I'd think more about a very inexpensive Miata hardtop rather than a tricked out Honda. Who knows, you may like the Miata!

-- Chuck
I wholeheartedly agree with Chuck on this. I would never daily my s but again I do live in a very rainy area except for 3-4 months of the year. Also, garage is imperative...maybe a hardtop if you can't.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cgarrett23
I wholeheartedly agree with Chuck on this. I would never daily my s but again I do live in a very rainy area except for 3-4 months of the year. Also, garage is imperative...maybe a hardtop if you can't.
where I’m at it’s sunny and hot most of the year, with typically dry conditions. I guess I’ll just need to sit in one and see if I can deal with the limited space and all that. I’m a single guy and dont need to haul anything besides a small camera bag, so it may work out
Old 01-17-2019, 09:05 AM

Received 89 Likes on 79 Posts

I bought my '01 S2000 last May and it was in exceptional condition and within the price range you defined. They are out there if you are patient and willing to travel. I had not driven one for 15 years until buying this one. I went into the deal knowing that I'd likely buy based on what I had researched but I didn't know for sure if I would like the overall driving experience. I'm a small guy and also single so it has worked out well for me. It isn't a daily driver but it does get a lot of driving in on summer weekends taking me wherever I want to go. Space has honestly only been an issue a couple of times where I wanted to buy something that was too big to fit the car. Not a big deal to me at all since I can just come back out in the daily. I wouldn't daily drive the car just from a wear standpoint but I also think that the seats would bother me. I'd hate to leave it baking in parking lot or picking up dings from drivers with no self awareness, which is 85% of them.

I think you will be amazed at what you can find in your price range as long as you look hard enough. Depending on the area and time of year, you may just get lucky.

Last edited by IA-SteveB; 01-17-2019 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:31 AM

I was recently in the same boat as you. Here's a nice breakout of real expenses for many of the things you will need to do/look at, and options to consider. (Yes I now know the strut bar was a waste).

Given mine is an AP2

Old 01-17-2019, 09:46 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

I love the S2k. I've had mine for over 11 years, and hope to keep it forever. That said, I daily drove it for about 4, and it wasn't too bad, but I did have it under a roof. A garage for any sporty type car is a must IMO.

For the money you are talking about, you could put yourself into a C5 corvette. I know it's usually the opposite of what JDM guys think, but as a daily driver it is much, much better. Plus there is no other performance bargain on the planet.

There are common issues, but once worked out they are pretty bulletproof. They are slightly bigger, and slightly heavier, but handle awesome and have tons more power.

I would take one of those over the Miata I had or any FRS anyday of the week and twice on Sundays.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by lane_viper
I love the S2k. I've had mine for over 11 years, and hope to keep it forever. That said, I daily drove it for about 4, and it wasn't too bad, but I did have it under a roof. A garage for any sporty type car is a must IMO.

For the money you are talking about, you could put yourself into a C5 corvette. I know it's usually the opposite of what JDM guys think, but as a daily driver it is much, much better. Plus there is no other performance bargain on the planet.

There are common issues, but once worked out they are pretty bulletproof. They are slightly bigger, and slightly heavier, but handle awesome and have tons more power.

I would take one of those over the Miata I had or any FRS anyday of the week and twice on Sundays.

This is was definitely one of my prior considerations, love the look and design (especially those flip up headlights). However, I came to the conclusion that all the electrical gremlins and the rattly and clunky interior weren’t going to cut it for me as a daily driver (I’m sort of sensitive to those things). I’d love to buy one as a second car.

I’d really like to be getting into something small, RWD, and sporty like a BRZ, Miata, or S2000 to daily. I just can’t decide where my money is best spent as far as least hassle since it will be my only car, and fun.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mike127
I was recently in the same boat as you. Here's a nice breakout of real expenses for many of the things you will need to do/look at, and options to consider. (Yes I now know the strut bar was a waste).

Given mine is an AP2

Thanks for sharing that! Not bad at all as far as getting some things tidyed up and servicing it.
Old 01-17-2019, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by IA-SteveB
I bought my '01 S2000 last May and it was in exceptional condition and within the price range you defined. They are out there if you are patient and willing to travel. I had not driven one for 15 years until buying this one. I went into the deal knowing that I'd likely buy based on what I had researched but I didn't know for sure if I would like the overall driving experience. I'm a small guy and also single so it has worked out well for me. It isn't a daily driver but it does get a lot of driving in on summer weekends taking me wherever I want to go. Space has honestly only been an issue a couple of times where I wanted to buy something that was too big to fit the car. Not a big deal to me at all since I can just come back out in the daily. I wouldn't daily drive the car just from a wear standpoint but I also think that the seats would bother me. I'd hate to leave it baking in parking lot or picking up dings from drivers with no self awareness, which is 85% of them.

I think you will be amazed at what you can find in your price range as long as you look hard enough. Depending on the area and time of year, you may just get lucky.
Yeah I’m really struggling with the fact that this will be my only car for at least the next couple of years. I love the look and idea of the car, and being able to say I own something like it. Ideally I would have something a little more rugged or at least daily-oriented for my main do-it-all and be able to have the S2K for any other day of the week. It’s tough wanting something like this when it’ll be all you have for awhile hahaha. That’s also what makes the BRZ so appealing to me, it seems a little more do-it-all with the sporty and engaging edge. Tough decisions
Old 01-17-2019, 12:38 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

buy a nice S for around 8-10 and a miata for 4-5.

Quick Reply: What Can I Do With 13-14K? Looking to buy this fall