S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What does "handling" mean to you?

Old 06-22-2003, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does "handling" mean to you?

I see this word "handling" thrown around a lot, but wonder if anyone ever takes the time to think about what it really means.

Does it mean the fastest lap times, and if so, is that autox, road racing, street, or what?

Does it meat the car puts power down coming out of a corner?

Does it mean the way it "feels" to the driver? Is it possible for a car to feel faster than it is, or slower than it is?

Does it mean that the car does exactly what the driver tells it to (even if the driver is an idiot)? Or does it mean that the car is forgiving to mistakes (we all make them).

Does it mean it oversteers, understeers, or is neutral? If so (regardless of response), is that all the time (on the brakes, on the gas, coasting etc)?

Does it mean that is solums better? What about sweepers? Decreasing radius turns?

Anyway, I have my opinions, which I will share if this does not erupt into a flame fest. I am interested in what s2ki.com thinks about it, since most everyone here has a "good handling" car
Old 06-22-2003, 06:33 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

To me the key word is: Predictable.

The car should be predictable at the limit.

The next key is the ability to carry as much speed through a corner, any corner, as possible.

To me the best handling cars have a low center of gravity, stiff suspension, and great adhesion of the tires. Neutral weight distribution is also a highly desireable trait. This makes the car easy to steer with the throttle.

Basically any car can be made to understeer or oversteer, and most cars will behave differently under throttle or braking, especially when used to the extreme, so these terms are not things I pay too much attention to. For me, I prefer a tendency to oversteer on a track, and understeer on the street. I think it's safer for Joe Sixpack to have a car that understeers.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes.
It means that the car ('s suspension) maximizes the tires' traction at all times while braking, accelerating and turning. Thus producing lower lap times indirectly relative to power output.
That's my view at least.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 1,423 Likes on 1,115 Posts

This is as hard to answer as the question "What is a sportscar". I think handling means that the car does exactly what it is directed to do with a great degree of precision. It is nimble and quick and becomes an "extension" of the driver.

Good handling cars are "lean", poor handling cars are "fat".
Old 06-22-2003, 06:48 PM

Originally posted by 98_1LE
I see this word "handling" thrown around a lot, but wonder if anyone ever takes the time to think about what it really means. I am interested in what s2ki.com thinks about it, since most everyone here has a "good handling" car
Check that. It's an awesome handling car.

High X-Bone Racing Style Frame + in-wheel suspension + EPS + four-wheel disk brakes + ABS + 50-50 weight distribution = driving ecstacy. When you drive one, you know.
Old 06-22-2003, 06:54 PM

What do you mean by in wheel suspension? Is it somewhat rare, like the EPS? Sorry for not knowing.
Incubus
Old 06-22-2003, 06:55 PM

Handling to me means that the car feels like it's on a rail and and do whatever you tell it to do.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:09 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Incubus
[B]What do you mean by in wheel suspension?
Old 06-22-2003, 07:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Personally, I don't consider the ABS a compliment to the handling performance of the car. In fact most (if not all) people that race these cars disable the abs. I view the ABS more as a "get out of jail free card" to help you survive those panic braking situations on the street.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:20 PM

1. Responsiveness - does what you tell it to do, when you tell it to do it with minimal delay, filtering, alteration.

2. Feedback - tells you what its doing at all times. Through the seat, the wheel, sound, etc.

3. Highest limits possible - gotta go fast

4. Adjustable balance - how you drive it should determine if it oversteers, understeers, or is neutral. One dominating characteristic is not preferred.

UL

Quick Reply: What does "handling" mean to you?