S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What to look for when buying a used S2000 / or just bought a used S2000

Old 05-29-2014, 03:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check for a clean cabin air filter... apparently it's an unknown item of concern...
Old 06-12-2014, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Everyone! First post here....Today I purchased an S2000 MY07 BB with 82,000 km for $25,000 CAD (fair price?). I've been looking at Porsche Cayman's but ultimately decided to go with an S2000 for cost issue. But I'm sure I will have the same amount of smiles on my face.

One question I do have though....this might sound silly but how should the clutch feel when driving? For example, when I test drove the vehicle I noticed that I didn't have to press down too much on the clutch to change gears. Is that normal? I haven't driven manual's since I've sold my RSX back in 2012 and I can't remember how it's suppose to feel. I know every cars different but I heard the shifting is about the same between the two cars. The car is currently still at the dealership as it is finishing up its reconditioning and such..

This also could be due to my paranoia, as this is my first real purchase of a vehicle. Got the RSX from my brother who babied it, and my current DD (2007 4Runner) was sold to me by my dad who also babies his vehicles.

Thanks!! Any comments would be appreciated - and again, I'm not the smartest when it comes to the mechanics of the car yet so I apologize if what I'm asking doesn't make too much sense! Haha..
Old 06-12-2014, 10:01 PM

I think i found my answer! Found a thread regarding this issue! Thanks
Old 06-30-2014, 01:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mke88
Hey Everyone! First post here....Today I purchased an S2000 MY07 BB with 82,000 km for $25,000 CAD (fair price?). I've been looking at Porsche Cayman's but ultimately decided to go with an S2000 for cost issue. But I'm sure I will have the same amount of smiles on my face.

One question I do have though....this might sound silly but how should the clutch feel when driving? For example, when I test drove the vehicle I noticed that I didn't have to press down too much on the clutch to change gears. Is that normal? I haven't driven manual's since I've sold my RSX back in 2012 and I can't remember how it's suppose to feel. I know every cars different but I heard the shifting is about the same between the two cars. The car is currently still at the dealership as it is finishing up its reconditioning and such..

This also could be due to my paranoia, as this is my first real purchase of a vehicle. Got the RSX from my brother who babied it, and my current DD (2007 4Runner) was sold to me by my dad who also babies his vehicles.

Thanks!! Any comments would be appreciated - and again, I'm not the smartest when it comes to the mechanics of the car yet so I apologize if what I'm asking doesn't make too much sense! Haha..
Congrats. Wonder if yours was one I looked at in Red Deer. Same year, colour and mileage. Enjoy the car! I picked up an 03 GPW myself, very happy with it!
Old 08-10-2014, 03:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thank you for such good write up! Got a lot of information out of this!
Old 09-08-2014, 05:09 AM

Hello everyone!

about to pick up a 2001 yellow s2k with about 180k miles. Its currently owned by my gf's mom.

The issues...and need recommendations...please

-has been sitting outside for atleast 6 months (chicago/illinois weather)without being started
-needs new clutch (she says thats the reason she hasn't driven it)
-will need new front bumper and probably a new soft top and a buff (i'm more concerned with the mechanical things though)
-i realize there are a lot of things to lookout for but i can get the car for pretty cheap (<5k)
-Maintenance on the car is unknown...i am gonna assume its almost non existent besides oil changes

I have very little knowledge on this platform so bare with me

I know i should
-check oil
-inspect for leaks
-buy a new battery

anything else i am missing?

I am not in a rush to fix this car as i have another weekend car.

I kind of feel like getting the car towed to my mechanic and letting him handle it but i want to be able to at least diagnose some things myself to save some $$$$

thanks for any replies.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am looking and been looking for a nice clean S2K for 2 months now and this has helped me so much that I already walked away from 7 Honda s2ks so far. Great thread!!
Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 PM

This thread helped me A LOT. Looking forward to purchasing my first s2000. KUDOS
Old 11-13-2015, 07:37 AM

I've just bought a '99 S2000 in Silverstone with red leather. It's been looked after well by the state of it (no rust, very few marks, wheels immaculate), but the last owners didn't bother to service it because they were only doing 1000 miles a year. D'oh. I'm having every fluid and filter changed ASAP.
Old 01-03-2016, 06:38 PM

Bought a 2005 Silvertone metallic S2000 with 39,000 miles on it in Louisville. Drove 180 miles from Nahville to look at the car and it was raining so I forgot to drop the new top the dealer had installed to make sure everything worked. Yes I am the studio dumb ass who goes to buy a used car and doesn't check the new top. First time I dropped the top at home it made a loud bang when I went to put the top up. Discovered the top glass is catching on a piece of platic trim behind the wind deflector and broke it. Does this sound like I need and adjustment on the top? Also I can't find the part number for the broken trim piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated. By the way this car has been everything I thought it would be AMAZING.

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a used S2000 / or just bought a used S2000