S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

At what mileage/time did you change your breakin oil?

Old 07-19-2003, 10:26 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Big deal, huh? Tell you what, you keep that dirty oil in your engine and I'll keep clean oil in mine, OK? I'd never buy a used car from you!! Geez. . . what an idiot!
Idiot? Believing that you can't mix any other oil with the break-in oil qualifies as idiocracy. Don't worry about the used car bit either; I'd never sell you one.
Not good enough for ol' Boit.
I'm sure my deal wouldn't be good enough "for ol' Boit."
Old 07-19-2003, 11:28 AM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Let's see, I think "ideocracy" is a form of government based on a specific type of idea (an ideology). I'm not even sure it's a word, actually, but if it is that's what it means. Marxism, Fascism, I suppose these would qualify as ideocracies. Not sure.

"Idiocy" is what I think you meant, not that I'm condoning either of you doing any name calling.

"Idiocracy" would be a government run by idiots. I suppose that includes most gov'ts. (take your pick)
Old 07-20-2003, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]Break-in oil is an interesting topic, though it's been discussed to death around here.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:27 AM

Question: Should I wait until after I change the breakin oil before I go push my car out on the track? I got an invitation to go out to the track next week. I'm at 1700 miles (4 weeks old) and I've been hitting 8,000 to 8,250 a couple times a day.

Or should I wait until 3750 or 4500 miles, change the oil, and then hit the track?
Old 07-21-2003, 05:30 AM

Boit,

Perhaps the cam lobes and valve assemblies are a non-issue. Your main point -- that you question Honda's recommendation -- is understood. And, I won't argue your other points, as they do sound reasonable to me. As you noticed, Honda is not sharing their research, so we only have their written word to go on.

MagicDave,

Please take my advice on this with caution since I don't know. I suspect that at 1700 miles, you're probably OK to track. I'm 99% sure other owners on the board have done this. I think if I were in your shoes, I probably wouldn't track the engine that young. But given the decision, I'd go ahead and change out the oil and go with fresh lube for the track. Everyone I have ever spoken to who does track time is anal about clean oil; what I don't really know is the break-in consideration. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2003, 06:08 AM

Magicdave

I would track with the break in oil.
But i would bring two extra qt. of dino oil with me in case you burn some after each run.
Since you put on the mileage pretty quick unlike some owners.
Check it out after 3k.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:42 AM

What is dino oil? If my oil level gets low, should I add this type?
Old 07-22-2003, 06:26 AM

"Dino" oil refers to petroleum-based oil, Dave. I.e., the dinosaurs died and turned into crude oil, which is what oil and gasoline are distilled from. Dino oil is standard oil.

This is in contrast to "synthetic" oil which is not petro-based. It's created in the lab.

You can always tell the difference in the packaging because synthetic products always say "synthethic" or "blend." You are supposed to avoid these during engine break-in until about 10000 miles.

Synth products are far superior in terms of viscosity and durability, but again Honda says don't use them until the engine is fully broken in.

You should check your oil at every fill up, Dave. As soon as you're down an X or two on the dipstick, you should add a little (maybe 1/8 qt.). Be VERY careful with this. The F20C engine is a sieve when it is new, as many owners have found. You can really mess it up if you let teh oil level drop too far down. You also don't want to overfill!

And, yes, you should add dino oil, not synth, to get to the top of the dipstick.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MagicDave
[B]Question:
Old 07-24-2003, 11:25 PM

Are you comfortable with running your engine hard(around 8900RPM) with the original oil? Why????

Quick Reply: At what mileage/time did you change your breakin oil?