S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

What's your heel-toe downshift technique?

Old 08-29-2002, 07:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SilverS2KAZ

When you say "Match the RPM's" do you mean that when you downshift, you keep your left foot (left FOOT in my case because I use both feet) partially depressed on the clutch pedal and let it up slowly, while the RIGHT foot applies just enough pressure on the gas pedal to keep the car moving smoothly without jerking forward and and the same time avoid the engine revving too high?
There are 2 different techniques for left and right foot. Below are MY descriptions and an example. Heel-Toe is kinda controversial, everyone has their own opinion on how it works and how to use it.

When you want to use it:
Say you are entering a corner HARD in 3rd gear going about 70mph. You brake hard and downshift to second at 45mph. Since you are braking hard and cornering you want the RPM's of the engine to be at 7000 rpm, otherwise the additional drag of the rear wheels would cause a spin out, but when you push in the clutch they drop to, say, 4000. So you pat the gas to get the RPM's to 7000 RPM and you release the clutch. Without doing this the rear wheels will engine-brake and cause loss of traction.

Right foot (what I would do):

Brake hard into the corner using my right big toe on the brake and keeping my heel over the gas. Depress the clutch with my left foot. Downshift into second. Bump the gas with my right heel to get the engine rpms up to about 7000. Release the clutch and continue braking or get back on the gas (depends on the corner). When getting back on the gas I pivot my foot on my right heel to SMOOTHLY release the brake and get on the gas.

Left foot (the way I like and what some race car drivers do, like crusty wallace, it's smoother, but you have to have the right pedal arrangement, meaning a LOW clutch pedal.)

Brake hard into the corner with your left big toe. pivot your left heel over the clutch. Stab the clutch with your left heel and the gas with your right foot and downshift at the same time. then you slide your left heel off the clutch. Then smoothly transition from brake to gas.

You have to have a low clutch pedal (or very flexible ankles) in the S2000 because when the brake is all the way down, the clutch is about 4 or so inches closer to the driver, making it hard to slide your left heel over to the clutch.

Hope this explains a little
-Spoon
Old 08-29-2002, 07:38 PM

I leave my heel planted on the floorboard through the entire heel-toe downshift. I use the ball of my right foot on the brake pedal, and the right edge of the foot to blip the throttle. All I have to do is roll my foot slightly to the right to nudge the throttle. I found that keeping the heel on the floor makes for a far more consistent motion than a "floating" heel.

- Warren
Old 08-30-2002, 03:39 AM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by chroot
[B]I leave my heel planted on the floorboard through the entire heel-toe downshift.
Old 04-17-2007, 06:56 PM

at what rpm u do it is ur skill, the way u do it is ur style
Old 04-17-2007, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by jehman,Aug 29 2002, 01:46 PM
Typically a heel-toe downshift is done to allow you to slow the car going into a turn faster than just brake alone. You are correct that it is usually only worthwhile when racing the car at its limits.
i heel-toe and rev-match ALL the time. it also doesn't shock the drivetrain and prolongs clutch life. there is NO downside to smoothness in a vehicle, whether racing or driving to the grocery store.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:01 PM

Received 225 Likes on 159 Posts

Man, this is an old thread!
Old 04-17-2007, 07:58 PM

wow he totally responded to a thread almost 5 years old

thank you s2ki search feature!
Old 04-17-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

reviving the dead.

I heel-toe every time I drive.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:45 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Watch Best Motoring.

My preferred method of heel-toe.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:59 PM

heel toeing is so easy in the s2k.

if you're braking hard enough to justify heel toeing, the brake pedal should go down to just about where the gas pedal starts..

i dont even need to heel toe really, more like use the right half of my foot to gas and the left half to brake.

Quick Reply: What's your heel-toe downshift technique?