S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

When to do first oil change?

Old 02-06-2001, 04:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer and my manual say: first change after 15000KM
Mechanic was quite explicit about not filling up the
oil, but take a close look at it each time when refuelling.

He also had a service bulletin about the 2001 Civic's,
it said that 0W20 oil should be used. Not surprisingly
he was a bit startled by it and was wondering about the
type of oil to use for the S2000. I'll ask him next time I
see him.

Ronald
Old 02-06-2001, 04:53 AM

Let's keep this thread going. It's good information for us newbies. I intended to wait till 3000 at least. I don't consider my driving habits extreme. The manual discusses short trips and extremes of temp. I know the mechanics I talk with hate the idea of a car used for less then 5 miles each way. Something about not getting enough time to fully warm up and burn off condensation. I still feel the filter is there to remove solids before they float around the engine. Honda has alot invested in these engines. One would hope they considered the potential cost of warranty replacements.
Old 02-06-2001, 05:35 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by DavidM
Here in Oz, we have the 1st service (which is free btw) at 1000km (600 miles) and then if you run the car hard you should get your oil replaced every 5000km (3000miles). So at 3000 miles we already have the 2nd service and been runing 2400miles (4000km) on 'clean' oil that has at the 'brake-in residude weashed out.
What exactly does your Honda owners manual say? I seriously doubt it says to change the oil every 5000km for normal driving coniditions. Most all Honda Dealerships/Service Departments (at least here in the US) tell you to change the oil every 3000-3750 miles EVEN though the manual specifically says 7500 miles. To me this is nothing more than the Dealerships/Service Departments trying to make more money by getting people to change their oil twice as much as the really need!
Old 02-06-2001, 09:00 AM

Yes, that would be a great idea - I'd love to know what the AUSTRALIAN owners manual says!

Dave, I agree with you about the residue thing. Although the filter SHOULD catch all contaminants. What I don't understand is, why can't Honda simply replace the oil at 600 miles with a new filter and more of the break-in oil and then do the full change at 3000 miles?

I'd be happy to pay for this!

I really don't like the idea of having to wait until 3000 miles to change the oil, and I certainly don't want to wait until then to rev into the VTEC range! Man, it's hard enough waiting now!!! I feel like my car is a little Lolita and I must wait until she is of legal age until we can have some fun!!

Cheers,
Old 02-07-2001, 02:58 AM

Originally posted by S2000 Owner
You will find that the engine in the S2000 does use oil intially. @2500 miles it may need up to a quart!
S2000owner you're darn right that all you yanks are reporting significant oil usage whilst us Aussies are not using a drop. I attribute this directly to regular oil changes and clean filters.

STL, Aussie owner's manual says 10,000km (6,000 miles) between changes for "normal" (i.e. freeway) driving conditions or 5,000km if you drive in city commuter conditions (which in Australia means 99.99999999% of drivers). Frankly I can't understand you guys being a such a bunch of tight asses when it comes to a few bucks for oil (which it sounds like you guys are going to pay for anyway through top ups because you're all burning oil from leaving the running in oil in too long!).

Sime, I just bought my wife a new "Commode" a few months back. The service manual states first oil change at 10k then 10k thereafter so it looks like this is a global strategy/trend for auto makers. Anyway I ended up spending the $A28 bucks (that's US15 bucks STL) to have new oil and filter which I will replace religiously every 5k for the life of the car.

Frankly I wonder (not being a paranoid conspiracy theorist) if the extended oil change intervals have anything to do with the fact that the average engine now has approx double the life it used to have 20 years ago. As I say, a conspiracy theorist would perhaps see the extended oil change interval as an evil plan to get the engines to wear out more quickly (and sell more new vehicles as a result) through inadequate lubrication.
Old 02-07-2001, 05:43 AM

2Kturkey - thanks for your information. I'm curious....if the Honda manual doesn't say that the first oil change is until 5000k, where does the 1000k oil change come into it? Is that Honda Australia playing it safe?

I probably wouldn't go as far as to brand all S2000 owners 'tightasses' if they don't have their oil changed at 600miles! That's maybe a little extreme - after all, some owners want to religiously follow the instructions in the US Honda manual. Breaking those instructions may be something that they don't want to do - and I could understand that. It's their perogative.

Anyway, after investing over $32K USD (or maybe more in some instances), I don't think it's the issue of a $20 oil change. It's probably more about a lack of education on the subject. Most S2000 owners (especially the ones on this forum) are enthusiasts and so would likely want the best for their car.

For me personally, I REALLY don't like the idea of having to wait that 3000 miles before the first change. AFTER, the first 600miles, I could understand waiting another 3000 miles b/w changes. That's ok for me.

When an engine builder builds a race engine - you don't see them waiting 3000miles to make the first oil change ! The S2000 engine is a factory-built race engine too - so why should we be any different? I could understand the 3000 mile thing if the owner plodded along and never explored VTEC, but I don't buy that many owners would do that. Otherwise, Honda would have offered an automatic transmission, lower powered model for the 'racquet club' types. But, Honda didn't, and it's obvious that the S2K is a PERFORMANCE car. It shouldn't be treated in the service department like it's a Civic!

I'd really be interested to know if anybody in Australia or New Zealand HAS had any problem with oil consumption? Are the engines in both markets IDENTICAL? Same compresion? Same power/torque figures?

2kturkey, you may be on to something here......
Old 02-07-2001, 06:10 AM
STL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by 2kturkey
S2000owner you're darn right that all you yanks are reporting significant oil usage whilst us Aussies are not using a drop. I attribute this directly to regular oil changes and clean filters.
I believe all cars will initially use some oil until the rings and/or seals are all properly seated, which could take thousands of miles.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2kturkey
[B]STL, Aussie owner's manual says 10,000km (6,000 miles) between changes for "normal" (i.e. freeway) driving conditions or 5,000km if you drive in city commuter conditions (which in Australia means 99.99999999% of drivers). Frankly I can't understand you guys being a such a bunch of tight asses when it comes to a few bucks for oil (which it sounds like you guys are going to pay for anyway through top ups
Old 02-07-2001, 09:23 AM

I contacted Exxon/Mobil regarding accurate information about what oil to use in the first oil change (most of the forum members are recommending dino oil to help with the break in) and how soon should be done. I specifically requested evidence-based data and to avoid marketing-based advice (since I was going to use Mobil products anyway). This is the e-mail I got:

"Thank you for your inquiry.

Today
Old 02-07-2001, 11:34 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm just kind of curious as to why you would ask an oil company what is best for your car. It seems Honda would be a better resource, especially regarding information about such a unique engine as the one in the S2K.

I change my oil about every 6k miles or when I'm going to the track if I haven't changed it recently. I'm slightly offended that someone would call me a tightass because I choose to follow the recommendations from the manual as to what is an appropriate oil change interval. It seems to me that Honda, who has given me a 6 year 100k mile warranty, has a vested interest in making sure I change the oil as frequently as is necessary and if anything their recommendations are conservative. The only people who have a vested interest in us changing our oil every 3k miles even if we don't drive the car harshly are the oil companies and service depts. that want our business.
Old 02-07-2001, 11:44 AM

Strike, my point exactly.

You will see my initial response to that comment above.

Quick Reply: When to do first oil change?