S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

When do you know its time to move on?

Old 10-30-2017, 02:16 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by EELPIE
Pre 2009 Caymans and Boxsters have oiling problems when run with sticky EHP tires in a track situation.

The oil scavenging system was changed in 2009 to cure the starvation problem experienced in the earlier cars.

Just something to consider if you will be tracking a Boxster or Cayman
Good to know. I wont buy it if I cant track it. I have a bit of research on the IMS issues, but I didn't see much on this. Is it the same as a S2k, where a baffled pan helps? Are there aftermarket fixes?
Old 10-30-2017, 04:46 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
Good to know. I wont buy it if I cant track it. I have a bit of research on the IMS issues, but I didn't see much on this. Is it the same as a S2k, where a baffled pan helps? Are there aftermarket fixes?

Baffle only addresses one of the issues. The 'real' fix would be something like the TTP Oil Safe Kit. It's a baffle and pump combination. Very expensive TTP Automotive GmbH Turbo Technik Pietz

987.1 do not have widespread IMS issues like the older 986. It can fail but in very low numbers.

I would jump to the 987.2 if you can afford it. Oil scavenging is much improved (almost no report of problems on r-comp) and you no longer have to deal with IMS.
Old 10-30-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 1,254 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Apex1.0
Ha! Thats actually a good point. Modifications are not going to make the difference, its the car itself that is the issue. About the time I swapped in the 10k springs in the rear and backed it down to 20 out on the clickers and drove it to work the other day... Thats when I said, "why am I not driving this car as much anymore". On the track its a rush, and it has helped hone my skills as a driver. However the more I track it, the less I enjoy it on the street. And the less I drive it.

Appreciate the feedback. Mind you I am not making any decisions yet. Can I have a car that is just as fun and capable on the track and be nicer on the street? Not sure... I don't want to be greedy either.

I am debating going with 12k/10k with my Ohlins. I am making a thread about it right now, as a matter of fact.
Old 10-30-2017, 05:43 PM

Received 208 Likes on 170 Posts

It's like a girl, When you start seriously considering smacking another booty it's time to go.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:31 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Q: When do you know its time to move on?

A: When you make a thread titled: When do you know its time to move on?
when it's not fun anymore
Old 10-31-2017, 10:33 AM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

So almost 4 years ago I bought a C5 Z06. I have no kids, could afford it, so I said "why not daily a C5Z?"

I love it more than I thought I would, and I never was a domestic guy before. Opposite to the S2k in a lot of ways, but is very good in the curves. It has torque, and is more practical than the S.

It's also not quite as reliable, but easy and cheap to work on, and is way faster, and sounds great. It's way easier to commute with, in fact Just took it on a weekend trip with the wife this past weekend.

Really good ones go for around $21K, and you can find some really low mileage ones.

Just a suggestion, BTW, I did keep the S2k, as it's the first love, and it sits beside the C5 in the garage.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:21 PM
Sponsor

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

We went from having an S2000 as a daily to a 987.1S, just as you have been thinking. It's a good logical upgrade from the S2000. Still light and nimble, faster, fun to drive, but less reliable. It's fairly easy to find one with low miles and has been taken good care of.

AP1 and AP2 Clear Headlight Diffusers!!! - Clear out your S2000 headlights!
LED Conversions for all S2000 lights
Keyhole Covers - Get the Shaved look
Oil Drain Valve - Easiest Oil Change ever!
_________
For LEDs for your other cars, head to our new website: SupernovaLEDs.com. Same great quality, easy-to-use website. Pick your car, we'll show you what fits.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Life is too short to for the shoulda-coulda-woulda...

If you want the new experience, that's reason enough in my view....You can always come back to the S2K later..it might cost more, and you might not find the right one, but they'll always come around...

Have you driven enough of them to really know this is the right choice to make? Would getting a daily that's more commuter friendly while keeping the Honda be out of the question?
Old 10-31-2017, 05:13 PM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I love my S2K and agree that some track mods can make it less streetable. The stiffer coilovers definitely fit in that category. But the rear end gear replacement actually made it better on the street. I love the S2K and it's still a great street car, especially top down in the summer. Just can't imagine ever parting with it. So back in May I bought a 2nd sports car to go with it. In my case it's a Shelby Mustang GT350. Haven't had it on the track yet. It's just past break in mileage. But both cars will continue to see low miles, hopefully extending their life span. So my advice isn't to get rid of the S but to supplement it with another awesome sports car.

Old 10-31-2017, 05:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

987.1 still has a risk of IMS failure right?

Quick Reply: When do you know its time to move on?