S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Where should I position Jack Stands???

Old 10-17-2000, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to embark on the HKS exhaust swap. I got 4 jack stands and a floor jack. Ready to begin...

Where should I position the jack stands?

Thanx for the advice,

Bob
Old 10-17-2000, 01:12 PM

Said it before, I'll say it again:

RTFM!

Seriously, the manual will show you the jacking points, which are the same place you should put your jack stands.

And the Helm manual will show you that the jacking position for a floor jack is dead center on the cross brace under the engine for the front as well as dead center on the differential for the rear.
Old 10-17-2000, 01:18 PM

I did... The Helm manual showed a floor jack spot on the front and back and then lifter spots on the side of the car. It did not note jack stands... Was not sure if the weight of the car on those 4 spots were good OR if there was a better way... Like along the axle or some strong under bar... Never peaked under the car before.

I'll check the owners manual before I start, in addition to the Helms manual.
Old 10-17-2000, 01:29 PM

Look in the owner's manual in the section on changing a tire. Note where they suggest placing the scissors jack to jack up each corner.

Once you've jacked up the front or the back with the floor jack, position the front or rear jack stands in the same place that's recommended for the scissors jack, then do the opposite end.
Old 10-17-2000, 02:10 PM

For the HKS I plan to roll the car onto ramps for the back wheels. I hope this gives enough clearance. Any thoughts?
Old 10-17-2000, 03:25 PM

Tom:

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

Can't you stop the RTFM thing. I think it's rude , not to mention narrowminded. Ultimatly, it discourages open discourse on the board, especially by newer members who likely ask the simple questions.

In this specific case, there are often very different places to put jack stands vs. a scissor jack. Some will give you better access to different parts of the car. Some will allow a more convenient hand-off from the scissor jack to the stand. Sometimes you need the suspension loaded, sometimes unloaded... All sorts of things.

Has it ever occurred to you that there are better ways of doing things than what is said in the manual. Sometimes, the manual's objective is liability limitation, not customer convenience. Don't you after all have an air filter that is not installed according to the manual. No problem with that, but you learned by asking... not by RTFM. Let others do the same.

Furthermore, sometimes the manual is incomplete, incorrect, or unavailable.

It would be nice if you would let people ask without the condescention of RTFM. As if reading the manual were some sort of religious obligation. If it's beneath you to answer a given question... fine.. just don't answer. An insulting answer has no added value for anyone unless you get some ego gratification out of putting people down.

Dan

ps. Congratulations on reading the manuals cover to cover. I hope you are proud of yourself.
Old 10-17-2000, 04:49 PM

Skarv, answer the F!n question (ATFQ)!
Old 10-17-2000, 06:06 PM

Randy:

If I knew the answer, I would.

My point is only that if we stifle the board, many won't get their answers because they will be discouraged from asking. Others will not answer because they will be gone.

So LNBDs

Dan
Old 10-17-2000, 06:25 PM

I put it where the scissor jack went and worked out ok.

Man was it an itch to take those freak'n hangers off. Took me over an hour to get the last one off. Tried every conceivable way to balance that exhaust to free up the hangar. Came pretty close to cutting the sucker, glad I didn't...

Don't think backing the car on to a ramp for the rear wheels will work too good. Don't think you can get to the middle of the car unless you are paper thin, I am not...
Old 10-17-2000, 06:30 PM

Hey Skarv, he did put a smiley after it. I didn't think it was too condescending. He also followed up with practical advice. Let's not be too thin skinned.

Quick Reply: Where should I position Jack Stands???