S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

who drives the hell out of their car?

Old 10-25-2001, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Takashi KazuMori
I don't know many who own fast cars and don't drive it hard. Maybe cuz we're all young, not saying anything about the older generation but when I get to 40 or something ... I'll be in a 700 series BMW and not some noisy fast sports car because I know I won't be able to drive like when I was young.

Gomen nasai...Your youth is certainly showing. After you gain the benefit and experience of a few more years, you will reflect on this statement with humor.

Believe me, when you get 40 "or something", you will still very likely be looking for the thrill and exhilaration from your driving experience that you do now. At 45, an S2000 does for me exactly what it does for you. And, I might add, I know I'm a better drive now than I was in my, um, "youth".

Yeh, a 700 series is nice, but it ain't gonna put the same smile on your face as an S2000.
Old 10-25-2001, 04:43 AM

I don't know many who own fast cars and don't drive it hard. Maybe cuz we're all young, not saying anything about the older generation but when I get to 40 or something ... I'll be in a 700 series BMW and not some noisy fast sports car because I know I won't be able to drive like when I was young.

You sound like you have a conventional and boring plan for your life. I hope it doesn't come true.

I'm reminded of the young woman at Fall Colors who said, "There are two kinds of people here, young guys who drive fast and old guys who are trying to compensate for something."

A lot of us got a good laugh from her youthful foolishness. I had the same thought about her (conventional) as I imagined her at 30 at the helm of her minivan.
Old 10-25-2001, 05:08 AM

Driving the hell out of it guilt free and trouble free! But I treat it right too. I do track events and some aggressive jaunts through the country. Regular oil changes w/ Honda filter, a thorough warm up before redlining, a couple of miles of granny driving before shutting down and NO 7,500 rpm clutch drops!

I met a guy my age at the gas pump with a black S2k. He said he liked the car but was dissapointed with the power. As the conversation continued, he revealed that he never revs it over 7,000. What a waste of car!
Old 10-25-2001, 05:22 AM

Received 5,091 Likes on 3,069 Posts

You may think now but I'm betting you'll change your mind. Once sports cars get in your blood you can never go back. Oh, you might for a while due to family size, limited income, etc. but in your heart you will always be hooked and sooner or later you'll have another one in the garage. Bimmer's are nice but it's not the same. I can only think of a 4-year period since I was 18, when there wasn't a sports car in my garage. Now I have three and it's only cause I ran out of space! And, I'm well past your 40 or something! But, your only a young as you feel.

VETC'ing is the only way to appreciate this sweet engine and I can't imagine anyone driving it like a family car.
Old 10-25-2001, 05:51 AM

Wow, look at the number of responses I generated. Oh well. You guys are probably quite right in most sense, maybe because I started out young so I never really did think much about this in future. I just cannot potray the image of an old man driving a Porsche at snail's pace, I'm sure there are quite a bit around in the States as well. That's simply pathetic and that was what I was hinting. Besides, yes my love for Honda has always been so strong and who know. I might have a Lamborgini in the garage one day alongside my luxurious BMW M5 nevertheless.

Old 10-25-2001, 05:53 AM

I only drive the car for fun in the twisties and on the track - that seems to be what its made for. I think it would be tormenting for our poor S2000s to only see city traffic or highway cruising. The only items that seem to wear out very quickly are tires and brake components . Nothing else on my car so far - except for a fried engine insulation which was very cheap to replace.
If you only rev the car when its fully warmed up (~5-10min careful driving), don't do high-rev clutch drops or shift in a destructive way you should be fine for a very long time with your engine and drivetrain...
I'm sure the S2000 is very thankful for having a driver who truely pushs it to the limit and will reward you not only with great fun but also with not falling apart .
I guess all S2000s who never get to rev to 9k will eventually fail due to total desperation .
Old 10-25-2001, 07:11 AM

I'm 54, and i still don't feel very old, thank you very much! I plan on driving and enjoying the S for years to come. Take it easy on your elders, you young whipper-snapper, you'll be here with us before you know it!
Old 10-25-2001, 07:32 AM

Can't speak for the younger generation, but I don't miss too many auto crosses, participate at the drag strip, do fun runs whenever I can, and have a hard time keeping the rpms under 8k. Just had my 60th birthday. My 280zx and 300zx turbo were pretty decent cars too. Had a Miata for a couple years and it was a ball for auto cross and road rallies, but not enough power day to day. I hope my S2000 holds up as well as the others who have replied, cause this old guy won't be giving it much rest.
Old 10-25-2001, 09:54 AM

tag,

to answer one of your questions, yes the rev limiter works even when you rev the car in neutral.

I wouldn't worry about the car braking. A friend of mine works in Honda R&D and he told me that they had an S2K engine go 75K miles with a ton of vtecing and it was still fine.
Old 10-25-2001, 10:13 AM

Man that looks like fun!!!!

Originally posted by Stealthy_S2K
I do this once a week during summer.

http://pics.perry.no-ip.com:81/video/drift1.mpg
http://pics.perry.no-ip.com:81/video/drift2.mpg

sometime, twice in one week.

Quick Reply: who drives the hell out of their car?