S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

who has my title...please help

Old 08-30-2002, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who has my title...please help

ok. i had a loan with HSBC bank in ny. bought the car in ny state. but i am a resident of pa and my car is insured and registered in pa. the bank says the dmv has the title and then another time they say they have the title. i am lost. anyone know what the details are?
Old 08-30-2002, 01:51 PM

The bank in NY should have the title as long as you have an outstanding balance on the loan.I don't think where you live or who you have insurance with matters.
Old 08-30-2002, 01:52 PM

Originally posted by Flyin Wedge
The bank in NY should have you title as long as you have an outstanding balance on the loan.I don't think where you live or who you have insurance with matters.
but my loan has just been paid off
Old 08-30-2002, 01:56 PM

I still say they(the bank) should have it.....they paid off the balance of the car when you purchased it and in return got the title...you made payments on the car,yes?...and those payments would have made to the bank not the DMV so I don't know why someone would tell you the DMV is holding the title.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Ok, I have an issue like this in TX before. Try to work it backwards.

Since your car is registered in PA, the title is a PA title. The PA DMV has a record of it. Go there and get a copy. It will have a lein holder name and address. That is where the original title is. You should be able to file for a lost title with a formal letter from the lein holder (your bank) that there is no longer a lein. In TX we are required to have a notarized form signed by the lein holder.

I hope this helps.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:10 PM

The bank should have your title. Sounds like they lost it!
Old 08-30-2002, 02:15 PM

just talked to them and they said i hav eto go to a ny dmv and get my title. for certain states they hold the title, for other they do not. since i bought the car in a ny dealership, the ny dmv holds it. if i had bought the car in a pa dmv, my bank would have it. make sense?
i think it does probably cuz all banks probably work that way where the ny dmv holds the title.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:53 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I think someone from NY should ring in on this one.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:22 PM

When I bought my Civic in NY, the NY State DMV sent me the title of the car with the lien hold on it. After I paid off the car, the bank sent me a letter and an official DMV's form that basically stated that I don't owe them anything anymore. You can keep the form with the original title with the lien or send both back to the DMV and get a new one without the lien hold on it. I just kept both. I sold my other car with the 2 documents together to an out of state person without any problem. I don't know about PA. I now live in Maryland and it's the same as NY.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:32 PM

Get a duplicate from DMV if you paid off your car.

Quick Reply: who has my title...please help