S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why do people say the s2000 is a poor daily driver

Old 02-01-2005, 10:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just realized that by "daily driver" some people may mean "only car".

I drive my S2000 every day, but we can always use my wife's Jetta if we need extra space. So I think of it as my "daily driver", but it isn't my "only car".

Sorry for misunderstanding.
Old 02-01-2005, 10:48 PM
Banned

the hell..
its a great daily driver imo
Old 02-01-2005, 11:09 PM

My S2k is a daily driver. Sometimes I carpool, and I'm actually sad when it's not my turn to drive. Always a when I'm driving this car.

Maybe it has to do with my car history. First car was a Toyota Cressida. Then a Acura 2.5TL, then a Lexus ES300. All four door family/luxury cars. Al these cars were great. Really comfortable cruisers. But I've never had as much fun driving as with the S2k, and that INCLUDES sitting in notorious Los Angeles traffic.

I don't really see a problem with the torque. It's not like you're driving a 3300 lb four door here.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:31 AM

[quote name='ksdaoski' date='Feb 1 2005, 10:25 PM'] I've seen it repeatedly the last couple of days, bitching about the s2000 being a poor daily driver due to lack of torque.
Old 02-02-2005, 03:56 AM
Former Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My S is my daily driver - I put over 30,000 miles on her last year! As far as torque goes - never had a problem. I rarely take the car above 5,200 RPM's when I'm not driving for pleasure, and I usually seem to outrun traffic every time.

Aside from not being FI'd I have just about every other modification you can throw on the car; which typically freaks people out on top of me daily driving a S2000.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:06 AM

Originally Posted by Warren J. Dew' date='Feb 2 2005, 01:42 AM
I just realized that by "daily driver" some people may mean "only car".

I drive my S2000 every day, but we can always use my wife's Jetta if we need extra space. So I think of it as my "daily driver", but it isn't my "only car".

Sorry for misunderstanding.
The S has been my daily driver for 5 years and I still love it. Paying attention to how to drive the car is part of the fun. I have a Murano as a second car. It has AWD if the weather gets nasty and can carry 30 bags of mulch home from Home Depot.
If it was my only car I might have a different view.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:20 AM

The S is the only car I use everyday, a little over a week and already drove in bad weather and not much bad to say about it all. I enjoy driving it alot so that over compensates for me at least to haveing to my bag in the trunk instead of the back seat. I can also see why it may not be a daily driver for others for all the reasons I do. The bad is on rare occasions when you need to get something big
overall the S wins
Old 02-02-2005, 05:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Warren J. Dew hit the nail on the head. When Americans talk about "daily driver", they want a car that requires as little involvement with the actual driving process as possible. They want an automatic transmission, big gas-guzzling engine with lots of torque, cruise control, overboosted power steering and brakes, a floaty suspension, and a LaZBoy-like seat to support their rotund ass. The problem is not with the car, it's with the driver. As a daily driver, the S2000 will get you from point A to point B just as well as your soccer mom's Escalade or Cayenne, but it's going to require more input from the driver to get you there. Americans are lazy, and that's all there is to it. That's why I hate driving on public roads. Other drivers are even too lazy to use their signal, too lazy to get out of the passing lane when there is traffic behind them, and they're too distracted to pay attention to anything that is going on outside their vehicle.

I was in the UK recently, and driving there was a treat compared to the US (disregarding the fact that they're on the wrong damn side of the road). Slower traffic was always in the proper lane, and changed into the passing lanes only long enough to pass the people in front of them. 99% of the people that I observed used their turn signal. And get this... it's almost impossible to get a rental car with an auto transmission! In the US, auto trannies are *standard*, because the rental agencies know that half of the people don't know how to drive a standard and probably aren't even coordinated enough to shift & steer at the same time, anyway.

Anyway... in summary, the S2000 is fine as a daily driver. The problem is that those people that drive daily probably shouldn't be driving at all.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote name='revhi' date='Feb 2 2005, 01:44 AM']Ive never seen lack of torque as the reason for it not being a good daily driver.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:43 AM

here are recent quotes on this board:

The Z is more powerful and has much more low end torque, but it is also far heavier which basically makes it a wash at the top end. The better torque will definitely make it a better stop and go/stuck in heavy traffic driver though.

When I lived in the city, I had an 02 S2k as a daily driver. Due to the lack of low end torque, the car was very hard to drive in bumper to bumper traffic.

I've also gone to other boards where "past owners" have complained about the same thing.....

Quick Reply: Why do people say the s2000 is a poor daily driver