S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Why doesn't the CR have an X brace?

Old 09-30-2009, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Why doesn't the CR have an X brace?

Since the CR is so track oriented, then why doesn't it have even more chassis reinforcement, like an X-brace :

Or even a strut bar for that matter :

I just ordered an X-brace a while ago and I'm starting to wonder if it wasn't just a waste of money. I feel like I'm insulting Shigeru Uehara's work when I install aftermarket parts like these.

Do our cars really need that kind of chassis reinforcement? Or is this just another excuse for tuning houses to make profit out of us .

I'm wondering all of this because I know the CR had as a goal to eliminate as much flex in the chassis as possible (hence the Steering Rack stiffeners and the Rear trunk Brace).
Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cross member bar, I think that's what it's called, that all the 2JZ hybrids cut out provides more than enough rigidity. I had a 4point strut brace and I honestly couldn't tell when I took it out.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:59 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had an X-brace that I didn't notice after removing it.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they don't help the car go faster
Old 09-30-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

The CR is a half-assed attempt at a track car by Honda. We should have gotten the Type S.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:15 PM

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

i think you have to look at it from many ways.

cost vs. performance vs. pricing for end product.

honda probably did not include a chassis x-brace because they felt it was a negligible amount of stiffening that would benefit the overall design and performance goals they had in mind. cost to manufacture and implement them on the cars would obviously raise the overall price of the car, and perhaps they felt it was unnecessary when looking at it from those viewpoints.

will the x-brace or 'strut' brace do anything? yes they will. is the value of cost vs. the performance gains worth it? it's up to you. but chances are the differences will not be night and day. new tires would be night and day, and would yield a greater performance benefit than any of these things (for example).

there are many things to make a car stiffer and perform/handle better, and the s2000 lacks in many areas. but honda made a phenomenally great overall performing car with the price point of the s2000.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Saki GT,Sep 30 2009, 10:15 PM
The CR is a half-assed attempt at a track car by Honda. We should have gotten the Type S.
What is the different between the Type S and the CR (besides the soft top and softer springs)?

Originally Posted by jc-s2000 Posted on Sep 30 2009, 10:15 PM
i think you have to look at it from many ways.

cost vs. performance vs. pricing for end product.

honda probably did not include a chassis x-brace because they felt it was a negligible amount of stiffening that would benefit the overall design and performance goals they had in mind. cost to manufacture and implement them on the cars would obviously raise the overall price of the car, and perhaps they felt it was unnecessary when looking at it from those viewpoints.

will the x-brace or 'strut' brace do anything? yes they will. is the value of cost vs. the performance gains worth it? it's up to you. but chances are the differences will not be night and day. new tires would be night and day, and would yield a greater performance benefit than any of these things (for example).

there are many things to make a car stiffer and perform/handle better, and the s2000 lacks in many areas. but honda made a phenomenally great overall performing car with the price point of the s2000.
Very constructive reply! Which areas (other than tires) would you say the S lacks when it comes to handling?

EDIT: I'm already going for a CR conversion, but since I want to keep the soft top, I thought I'd replace the rear trunk brace with other alternatives (while still retaining Uehara's perception of the CR).
Old 09-30-2009, 07:27 PM

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jc-s2000,Sep 30 2009, 09:15 PM

Just because a part isn't on an S2000 and/or a CR that doesn't mean it doesn't do anything. And just because a part is aftermarket doesn't mean it will actually help. I'd guess though that most of the chassis stiffening stuff is a waste of money.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by acheddadi,Sep 30 2009, 07:21 PM
Very constructive reply! Which areas (other than tires) would you say the S lacks when it comes to handling?
honestly, i hate to answer you in this way, but handling is subjective. you have to drive your car at the limit (on track or autocross of course) to determine what characteristics of the car YOU want to change up for your own driving style. (i personally don't like all the lean from the car as my car is currently all stock, but i can live with it for now).

bottom line is everyone has a different driving style in addition to differing preferences to how the car handles/performs. when you start getting a handle on what you want the car to do, you should research and then start modifying your car towards getting those characteristics you want it to exhibit.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by patinum,Sep 30 2009, 07:27 PM

Just because a part isn't on an S2000 and/or a CR that doesn't mean it doesn't do anything. And just because a part is aftermarket doesn't mean it will actually help. I'd guess though that most of the chassis stiffening stuff is a waste of money.
i personally like all those chassis bracing things though...

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the CR have an X brace?