S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Will this hurt the s

Old 01-28-2009, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this hurt the s

I have read a few threads about snow on the soft top, but what about ice.. In these pics it may look like snow but its actually solid ice.. If this will hurt the soft top how would you go about getting it off, and not hurting the car?

Old 01-28-2009, 02:01 PM

I live in New Jersey and we have gotten a lot of winter crap. I just try to sweep what is marginal loose off with my hands, be careful of the antenna and wipers. If its tight I wouldn't try to chip it off, expecially, the metal body and lights. The body, especially the alum hood, can get dented or paint scratched expecially with broom material. Use the gloves.

The roof you can flex by strong tapping on it and the ice should break apart.

Scrape the windows while warming the car to try to get the rest off. Also get the snow off the lights (esp. heads and brakes) drive it if needed.

A good thing to have is a tarp to cover it just before you expect rough weather. Especially the top and windows. Makes stuff easy.

Looks like a rough night. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:09 PM

My car is currently in the body shop so i dont have to worry about it this time around but im sure this is going to happen to me some time.

I definitely would not be driving in this weather, but will the ice just setting on the car hurt it in any way.. The soft top in particular. Around here it has been raining ice instead of snowing for the past couple years. Given that fact, would a car cover cause damage to the car if i had it on during this.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:14 PM

I would think Honda thought of this already since the S2000 has been released in countless countries with all different weather patterns. I've had literally over 3 feet of wet snow on my softtop for ~3-4 days. I've had maybe 5 inches of solid ice on it as well. The snow I would just swipe off with my hands/arms. The ice, I obviously had to wait until it was only a couple of inches thick and I just tapped the top hard until it broke apart. The top is pretty strong I think.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:56 PM

I just had to break my S from an inch of ice. Forgot to swap the old car out of the garage and pull the S in. My lesson has been learned. Took about and hour to get most of the ice off the roof and headlights.

Old 01-28-2009, 03:48 PM

Yea i had this problem the other night when it all of a sudden dropped to like 53 degrees down here in Baton Rouge.

I was scared i didnt know what to do since my top is wearing already!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:12 PM

Not a problem at all.

I had maybe about 1/4" to 1/2" of ice on the s2k this morning. Just scrape the windshield and side windows and drive off.

Gave it a couple knocks and it was stone hard. It was kind of cool, I felt like I had a hardtop.

My commute is 40 minutes long, so by the time I got to work it all melted off (probably due to the heat from inside the cabin).
Old 01-28-2009, 04:22 PM

When you cars have ice on them, that's your sign you need to move some place else.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:55 PM

Originally Posted by Aerodax' date='Jan 28 2009, 05:22 PM
When you cars have ice on them, that's your sign you need to move some place else.
amen brotha!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:51 PM

Surprised no one mentioned this. Wouldn't heating up your car help melt off the ice on top? It will definitely help melt the ice off the windows as it warms up. (Someone said about commuting and melting off. I would say you should just melt it off if you are worried about it.)

Quick Reply: Will this hurt the s