S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Will Test pipe on a stock S2K do anything?

Old 07-17-2006, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Increasing pollution for a measly hp increase?

I live in Socal, and everything helps, even the smallest step.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Dolemike,Jul 17 2006, 04:19 PM
YES, it IS worth it on a stock exhaust... you lose weight and gain noticeable power. It gives the midrange a nice throaty sound. If you have emissions just get the stock cat heat shield welded onto it.... noone will notice. The only drawback is 1. you can smell it (tho i kinda like it, so it may not be a drawback) and 2. If you dont wash the car regularly it will turn the bumper yellow (it washes off tho). SHould you add an exhaust then it is REALLY REALLY worth it as its usually combined to make around 10-18hp depending on the setup.
I really think it makes more of a GROANing sound....

Those lovely smells and crap on your bumper would be the aforementioned unburned and partially unburned hydrocarbons, Highly toxic CO, and NOx and primary components of air pollution and smog....
Yummy!

"You smell that? I love the smells of incomplete combustion processes in the morning! Smells like VICTORY!"

Oh yeah, and until I see side by side Dyno's This claim of 18 HP is just
Or a bunch of hot exhaust gas.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:22 PM

From the Foundation for Clean Air Progress:

In 1950, there was more smog in Southern California than there is in Mexico City today.

Most major cities report that cars and trucks are no longer the dominant creator of smog.

It takes 20 cars today to produce the same amount of smog as one car from the mid 1960's.

In ten years, it will take 33 cars to produce the same amount of smog as one car from the mid 1960's.

I think about it this way: How many cars on the road today are running with test pipes/cat-delete pipes/straight pipes/atomosphere killers? It has to be much much less than 1%. 1 in 1000 would probably be an overstatement. The rate of emissions improvements FAR FAR FAR exceeds the rate at which more people test pipe their cars. Unless a significant number of people do it (which they aren't and won't) I can't see it making much of a difference in the long run.

Another point, how long are we going to be running on fuels that produce heavy pollution? 20 years? 50 years? In that time, the CATS or some other wondertech may be much more efficient than they are right now (and they are already very efficient). Test pipes may be a thing of the past then.

For what it's worth, I bought mine for the sound and as a building block for FI. Rat me out if you will.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:44 PM

test pipe owners should plant more trees at least plant one infront of your house haha
Old 07-17-2006, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CaptainMike,Jul 17 2006, 11:39 AM
Hey Afwfjustin, Where can I find some of these "Environmental meetings" of which you speak?
lol you got me. I actually read my reply after I posted and thought "wtf is an environmental meeting?"

I guess when I was typing it I was thinking of a group of people that got together and discussed plans on how to clean up the environment. I dunno, I guess they exist somewhere. In any case, my point was that I don't work for the environment! I think it's great and I think people that strive to do good for the environment are A-OK in my book, but please leave my decisions to me!

Old 07-17-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

well i have a berk, so take that! ha!

LOOK
Old 07-17-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by slimjim8201,Jul 17 2006, 05:22 PM
From the Foundation for Clean Air Progress:

In 1950, there was more smog in Southern California than there is in Mexico City today.

Most major cities report that cars and trucks are no longer the dominant creator of smog.

It takes 20 cars today to produce the same amount of smog as one car from the mid 1960's.

In ten years, it will take 33 cars to produce the same amount of smog as one car from the mid 1960's.

I think about it this way: How many cars on the road today are running with test pipes/cat-delete pipes/straight pipes/atomosphere killers? It has to be much much less than 1%. 1 in 1000 would probably be an overstatement. The rate of emissions improvements FAR FAR FAR exceeds the rate at which more people test pipe their cars. Unless a significant number of people do it (which they aren't and won't) I can't see it making much of a difference in the long run.

Another point, how long are we going to be running on fuels that produce heavy pollution? 20 years? 50 years? In that time, the CATS or some other wondertech may be much more efficient than they are right now (and they are already very efficient). Test pipes may be a thing of the past then.

For what it's worth, I bought mine for the sound and as a building block for FI. Rat me out if you will.
1. The Foundation for Clean Air Progress is an industry PR group representing Big Oil, Energy, Manufacturing and and Chemical Industry. Most of their data is misleading or wrong.. Lots of Apple-Orange false comparisons. Their sole agenda is the de-regulation of 'high' pollution creating industries.

2. Your logic sucks.. because we're eventually going to use up all the finite resources of fossil fuels, That's a good reason to pollute 20, or 33, or 150 times more than we should or would without a test pipe?

3. I'm not even going to argue point by point with the rest of your flawed reasoning.. Usually nobody reads this far into a post anyway.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

but look at my post!! quick! ^^
Old 07-17-2006, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Dolemike,Jul 17 2006, 12:19 PM
YES, it IS worth it on a stock exhaust... you lose weight and gain noticeable power. It gives the midrange a nice throaty sound. If you have emissions just get the stock cat heat shield welded onto it.... noone will notice. The only drawback is 1. you can smell it (tho i kinda like it, so it may not be a drawback) and 2. If you dont wash the car regularly it will turn the bumper yellow (it washes off tho). SHould you add an exhaust then it is REALLY REALLY worth it as its usually combined to make around 10-18hp depending on the setup.
Doesn't part of the smog test (at least in California) involve sticking something in your exhaust pipe to measure pollutants coming out of it? I would think the test pipe would cause you to fail your smog test.

On a side note, the level of pollution coming out may be worse than you guys think. I have a beater car that I park outside on my driveway next to some bushes. It had a failing catalytic converter. The bushes that are right next to wear I park my car all died.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:10 PM

If all you are doing is the test pipe, then don't waist your time. It would need to be part of a series of upgrades to do you any good at all. Why risk the fine, and extra pollution for a difference you can't feel.

Quick Reply: Will Test pipe on a stock S2K do anything?