S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Windshield Maintenance

Old 05-16-2002, 09:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey all
As you all probably know the S2000 seems to be notorious for easily cracked windshield by flying debris from the road. I just had my windshield replaced about a month ago. And just today I got a little rock hit my windshield which put a crack into it. Well I had to lay out another 80 dollars to have that fixed before it got worse so once again my windshield is in a healthy state.

I was wondering if anyone has ever complained or written letters to HONDA about this. Because it seems as if the windshield on this car is too weak or thin. I have had many rocks hit my other car's windshield and hasnt broken yet. But yet a little rock hits it and cracks it so i think there is obviously a problem here?
I'd like to get some comments on this, thanks.
Old 05-16-2002, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The windshield on the S2000 is the same as any other vehicle. But what is different is this: Notice the angle of the windshield. Because of the aerodynamic properties, the windshield tends to be more verticle than windshields on other cars. Therefore, the force of impact is greater, causing more casualty to our windshields.
Old 05-17-2002, 04:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a very good point. I guess this will be added as a maintenance thing to do in my schedule. Unless they come out with some kind of deflector that you can put on the hood and it will still not help 100 %
Old 05-17-2002, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

"The windshield on the S2000 is the same as any other vehicle".

I'm not so sure about that one. I do understand that the window is made of the same material as any other and also uses the same manufacturing processes.

"But what is different is this: Notice the angle of the windshield. Because of the aerodynamic properties, the windshield tends to be more verticle than windshields on other cars. Therefore, the force of impact is greater, causing more casualty to our windshields."

In other words: all 'sports' cars that have a similarly angled windshield have got this problem. Have you ever heard of this before? Addionally, I asked the car glass place where I had mine replaced whether this was common to sports cars. Their reply was that it normally doesn't make a big difference what type of car you drive. It's rather where and how you drive.

While I am not sure whether to believe this statement or not, I have never heard of a similar problem on other sports cars. So maybe there is something that makes our S more inclined to have windshield problems.