S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Winter driving in PA or North East

Old 02-16-2007, 06:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winter driving in PA or North East

Im moving to PA in the summer and yet to get my S but i will when i get up there because it would be a pain to drive it from GA... Is it a good idea to drive it in the winter because I also dont want to have another car for the winter. so basicly will winter driving kill the car?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:17 AM

nobody?
Old 02-16-2007, 07:23 AM

Which part of PA? I live in the metro area and it is not bad at all driving in winter, even on the stock RE050s, just drive it as smart and no hard driving. The wheels do lose traction in cold weather, but if you're careful, everything should be fine.

But it's snowed real big here the past week and the cold temps is keeping the snow around, and created lots of black ice so my S is stuck (not stuck but..just not moving it) in the driveway.
Old 02-16-2007, 07:27 AM

ehh... that sucks. ill probly use my dads truck to get it out if the tires arnt stuck to the ground... but what i meant was does the salt or anything ruin the chasis?
Old 02-16-2007, 08:11 AM

I'm driving mine in an Ottawa winter, and there are other people up here in Canada who have been driving their winters since 2000. No problems reported. The battery is a small one, and designed more for lightness than cold starting. That being said, my four year old battery hasn't failed to start the car, and we've had mornings that were 29 below (that's Celcius) recently. I have to say that the engine turned over very, very slowly before catching though. What you absolutely have to get are winter tires, as the summer tires that come with the car or even all seasons are not going to do the trick. That, plus remembering that the car does not grip like a 4x4 will get you through the worst of weather.

Zeiss
Old 02-16-2007, 09:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live right outside Philly, and with a set of Dunlop Winter Sport M3s on the car, it's had no trouble in the past two winters.

They don't salt all that often around here, so as long as you wash the car now and again you should be fine. The Canadians have no problem running thru the winter every year.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Goto the Delaware Valley local forum, that is where most of the PA drivers will see your post. I live in the suburbs of Philadelphia and am currently going through my first winter with my S as a daily driver. So far I have made it through 2 minor, and the current somewhat major snow storm and have had no issues.

My suggestion (and it is pretty much the consensus) is that you MUST take off you summer tires and switch them for winter tires. While summer tires may be drivable on dry cold road, they are very unsafe if there is any moisture.

My solution was to buy a used set of stock ap1 wheels (check the for sale thread) and to get Dunlop Wintersport M3 tires mounted to allow for a quick and easy change in the winter and spring. These tires handle snow very well, do pretty well on ice, and are actually quite fun on dry winter roads. They are highly suggested by all who have tried them.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:06 AM

Yeah, get a set of 4 good snow tires and it'll go a long way.

That said, I'd never drive my S in the snow. I have a pickup truck for that.
Old 02-16-2007, 11:20 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

snoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow tires. you will be fine. tons of people in the north east, including myself, drive in the winter, snow, sleet, slush, etc WITH snow tires. don't take your car out in the cold with SUMMER tires.. sooner than later you will regret it.
Old 02-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Agree--snow tires are a must--the AP1 wheel idea is a good one as you typically want a slightly narrower snow tire and the AP1 wheels are 16 in instead of 17. You should be able to get them for a good price from another member on the "for sale" forum on here

Quick Reply: Winter driving in PA or North East