S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Winter idea...

Old 09-08-2006, 08:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Winter idea...

So I was thinking... since it is better to have a thinner tire when driving in snow... do you guys think it would be a good idea to buy another set of stock, front wheels with winter tires to put out back for more stability? Or would that be a bad idea?

This is going to be my first winter for the S and I need to start preparing.

Thanks ahead of time for the input guys...

Andre
Old 09-08-2006, 08:24 AM

Received 223 Likes on 166 Posts

Get a set of 4 wheels and a set of 4 snows.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Get a beater.!
Old 09-08-2006, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

need to get some winter tires

driving in the snow in a S is not to pretty
Old 09-08-2006, 09:45 AM

The stock front wheels won't fit properly on the rear hubs, so don't go there.

Others with more experience are likely to chime in here, but what I'd do is go with TireRack's 16" package (assuming these wheels will still fit on the AP2, but I think they probably will) with four snow tires, studded. HPH
Old 09-08-2006, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Emil St-Hilaire,Sep 8 2006, 08:35 AM
Get a beater.!

For what a good set of snow tires would cost you just buy a beater. It could actually end up saving you money.

I drive a 1994 dodge intrepid as my ever day car. Front wheel drive with traction control plows through the nebraska drifts like 4 wheel drive.

Put the S in storge for the winter and my insurance is only about $8 a month.

Plus having a beater on your policy gives you a mulitcar discount which could lower the price on your S more then what it costs to ad the beater.

Somtimes its cheaper to insure 2 cars. then 1.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by F355FTS,Sep 8 2006, 09:54 AM

For what a good set of snow tires would cost you just buy a beater. It could actually end up saving you money.

I drive a 1994 dodge intrepid as my ever day car. Front wheel drive with traction control plows through the nebraska drifts like 4 wheel drive.

Put the S in storge for the winter and my insurance is only about $8 a month.

Plus having a beater on your policy gives you a mulitcar discount which could lower the price on your S more then what it costs to ad the beater.

Somtimes its cheaper to insure 2 cars. then 1.
I should check it out. I have a beater... my VW Jetta Diesel but I don't have it insured right now. And also the heat doesn't work too well, so I need to see if I can fix that issue... lol. Having heat during the winter might be important.

I'll have to call the insurance company then.

Thanks guys,
Andre
Old 09-08-2006, 10:29 AM

Why in the world anyone would want to drive a crappy car for a significant part of the year -- particularly when a really fun one is available -- is something I've never figured out.

I guess it's just a case of different strokes. HPH
Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DrCloud,Sep 8 2006, 12:29 PM
Why in the world anyone would want to drive a crappy car for a significant part of the year -- particularly when a really fun one is available -- is something I've never figured out.

I guess it's just a case of different strokes. HPH
EXACTLY! Winter is depressing enough already. I find driving my S in winter an absolute joy. It is fun, competent, very tractable.
Unlike a beater, it will always start.
Unlike a beater, it is always more than adequately warm inside.
Unlike a beater, the stereo works really well.
Unlike a beater, it is great on fuel.
Unlike a beater, it is in great shape, no parts will fall off or fail. It is very reliable.
Unlike a beater, it is not depressing to drive when you see all those people in there megabuck SUVs.
Unlike a beater, I can have a lot of fun driving it.
Unlike a beater, my S2000 will depreciate whether or not I drive it, so I'll drive it.
Unlike a beater with crappy all season radials, my winter tire equipped S2000 will drive rings around it.

"Drive a beater." "Drive an S2000." I much prefer the sound of the latter.

Oh, to answer the OPs question on rims and winter tires. First, you don't want just narrower tires. You want narrower winter tires. Second, since the rear OEM AP1 tires are already wider than your average 225, getting 225 winter tires will be narrower, so you don't need to guess whether or not you should go with a smaller size. 225 is just fine. The front 205s are already pretty skinny. Just get the winter tires in that size. This is what most people who drive them in winter, do.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by xviper,Sep 8 2006, 11:11 AM
EXACTLY! Winter is depressing enough already. I find driving my S in winter an absolute joy. It is fun, competent, very tractable.
Unlike a beater, it will always start.
Unlike a beater, it is always more than adequately warm inside.
Unlike a beater, the stereo works really well.
Unlike a beater, it is great on fuel.
Unlike a beater, it is in great shape, no parts will fall off or fail. It is very reliable.
Unlike a beater, it is not depressing to drive when you see all those people in there megabuck SUVs.
Unlike a beater, I can have a lot of fun driving it.
Unlike a beater, my S2000 will depreciate whether or not I drive it, so I'll drive it.
Unlike a beater with crappy all season radials, my winter tire equipped S2000 will drive rings around it.

"Drive a beater." "Drive an S2000." I much prefer the sound of the latter.

Oh, to answer the OPs question on rims and winter tires. First, you don't want just narrower tires. You want narrower winter tires. Second, since the rear OEM AP1 tires are already wider than your average 225, getting 225 winter tires will be narrower, so you don't need to guess whether or not you should go with a smaller size. 225 is just fine. The front 205s are already pretty skinny. Just get the winter tires in that size. This is what most people who drive them in winter, do.
My beater will always start... new glow plugs.
My beater doesn't have good heat.
My beater has a decent radio.
My beater gets 50 MPG.
My beater is diesel and will run forever and nothing will fall off.
My beater can crawl over most of the same snow that any SUV can.
My beater is very very slow, but a blast to drive in snow.
My beater's value is already super low, so selling to me is pointless.
My beater with all season tires will drive circles around an S2K with winter radials.

"I drive an s2000" does sound wayyyy better than "I drive a VW Jetta Diesel."... lol.

And I drive an AP2 not an AP1... so I have 245's in the back and I was wondering if the front wheels (215's) would fit in the back so that I could run winter tires on them.

Andre

Quick Reply: Winter idea...