S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

Would you buy an S2000 with no maintenance records?

Old 01-03-2016, 04:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you buy an S2000 with no maintenance records?

I've been interested in these cars for awhile now and recently decided to get serious about finding one to purchase. Based on my research and some test drives over the weekend, I'd like to find either a late AP1 or early AP2 (2002-2005) in very good condition with under 100k miles. I'm finding many of these cars had quite a few owners and the maintenance records are spotty or non-existent.

The two cars I'm most serious about are being sold by private sellers and have zero history provided... One car is apparently maintained by the owner's family member and there are no records, although he can tell me approximately when certain items were addressed during his 2 year ownership. The second car seller is possibly a flipper, but maybe not. Apparently he owned for 1 month and the daughter just totaled one of their daily drivers that needs to be replaced. Both sellers "seem" honest and are very responsive to my questions so far.

How do you guys feel about an S2000 without records?
Old 01-03-2016, 05:11 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't completely dismiss the possibility of buying one of the cars, but I think the best thing to do is to find a reliable mechanic and get a thorough pre-purchase inspection, including engine, suspension, transmission (one who can also inspect the body panels to see if they were fixed and painted before), even if it's a little costly. I would rather lose $100 (or whatever a PPI costs these days) and have a much more educated opinion about the car.

Certainly ask the owner for a carfax history report. That doesn't make it a good condition car, but it can't hurt. Good luck.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:12 PM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Yup. People really over think this stuff. If you're worried, get it inspected. Then change all the fluids when you own it.
Old 01-03-2016, 05:17 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Due diligence. For AP1's, crack the valve cover and check the retainers, do a compression test, does it have a real honda oil filter (PCX-004), check the car fax (for what its worth), get under it and look for obvious issues, tires evenly worn, no rust on the brake calipers/rear subframe, look at the rear axle nut, drive the car with the radio off.

I bought my '03 with no records provided, 32K miles, all VINs intact, no test drive, purchased on ebay- but i did talk extensively with the owner.

I was willing to roll the dice and to take the hit if it was a complete lemon- thankfully, the only surprise was a front bumper repaint and some paintless dent repair.

it has been an excellent vehicle thus far.

If i was going to do it again, i want at least some records or some sort.

good luck

darcy
Old 01-03-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are willing to wait, the 'right' one will come along. Get a car that isn't going to drive you crazy before you even buy it!
Old 01-04-2016, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I do have a Carfax on both and will be doing a thorough inspection myself before handing over the money. Both cars are a couple hundred miles away, so I'm conducting as much due diligence as I can before driving out there. I'm working on having a family friend who works for Honda try to pull service history, if there is any.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best s2000 in my book is one that has zero Honda maintenance history and rather has an excel spreadsheet or something similar where the guy/gal did their own work. Even if they're not the best mechanic in the world, 9 times out of 10 those people do a better job on the simpler maintenance items than Honda would. Honda loves to mess up these cars. I'd almost rather no maintenance records at ALL than a car labeled as "dealer maintained" for this car.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:02 AM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

+1

A lot of S owners do maintenance themselves and do not go to the dealer. I happen to keep a log of everything I do but that is for my information and reference; I do that with all my cars.

You may want to find someone who knows the S to help you take an initial look when you go. Review the stickies this site has on purchasing to help you know what to look for.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:50 AM

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts

if it has a clean carfax and the owner will let me do a compression test myself then I have no qualms about it
Old 01-04-2016, 06:16 AM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

What maintenance records?

Look at the car. Is it stock or has some teenager been practicing Fast-and-Furious with it? I would not personally buy a heavily modified car without a hefty discount from stock values. If possible look at the owner's other cars and his garage. These can be key indicators of the owner's attitude regarding maintenance.

This enthusiast forum represents a tiny fraction of S2000 owners and I'll wager not all of us have Honda Maintenance Records anywhere. Sure a some guys save them but most are content to just do the maintenance or have it done. Decades of Honda ownership by both my wife and I never yielded any "dealer stamps" or logbook entries and a glove compartment of receipts is just too messy even for me. Don't expect any records. My "records" are the CarFax when I bought my MY06 car in 2014 plus my own data on when I changed fluids, did preventive maintenance like replacing the TCT, etc. Be happy if you can get these.

When in doubt assume the car has been at least minimally maintained but start with base zero on everything. Oil, brake fluid, and coolant are inexpensive. Follow the Honda recommended/branded products and you should be good to go provided you examine the car closely before purchase. These maintenance items are very easy to accomplish with no more equipment than a a few wrenches, low profile floor jack and jack stands -- Harbor Freight quality if more than enough.

Do due diligence on the car. But I doubt anyone is willing to allow you to pull the valve cover, do a compression check or look at retainers and valve clearances or anything else that invasive! You should certainly do that once the car is home. AP1 retainers and AP2 valve clearances should be checked and set to specs. Two seasons after I bought my car I did an engine oil analysis just to satisfy my curiosity about engine wear. All was determined to be below normal wear patterns for cars with the same mileage (which is good). I should have done this after the first season but didn't know how easy and convenient the testing is.

-- Chuck

Quick Reply: Would you buy an S2000 with no maintenance records?