S2000 Talk Discussions related to the S2000, its ownership and enthusiasm for it.

WTB/rent: kodokan seat lock's key

Old 04-15-2019, 10:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WTB/rent: kodokan seat lock's key

First of all, I pretty much new to this forums and I was wondering if you guys can help me out here. My situation is that I just bought a 05 honda s2000 couple months ago and today I was trying to replace my old seat to a new one and found out that it has a kodokan seat lock. Trying to contact previous owner but he has no idea where is the key cause he is not the first owner and also has no contact with the first owner what so ever. Please let me know if anyone has a spare kodakan seat lock's key for sale or for me to barrow. I can pay for shipping plus rental fee. thanks
The following users liked this post:
Imsoohoo (06-14-2019)
Old 04-16-2019, 03:00 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm pretty sure that there is no master key that fits all McGard locks. Sure. Some of them might fit but it depends on whether you find the right one. The chances of getting a key that fits your locks is pretty low by just picking a random key.

You might have some luck if you post a photo of the top of your lock.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:10 AM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Put the S on jackstands or a lift.

Drill and tap a hole for a bolt, inside the seat bolts from the undercarriage.

Thread bolt into seatbolts, put a wrench on it and crack the bolts loose, remove the wrenching bolt from the underside

unthread the seat bolts from the passenger cabin by hand.

replace the bolts.

no key needed, just room under the car to drill a hole into the center of the existing bolts without using vices and screwing up the threads
Old 04-16-2019, 07:18 PM

Here is the photo of the lock. I Really don’t want to keep the lock but I don’t want To messed it up either. I’m scare I’m going to mess up carpet or seat because there is barely any room to work on. That’s why I need to key.
Originally Posted by slalom44
I'm pretty sure that there is no master key that fits all McGard locks. Sure. Some of them might fit but it depends on whether you find the right one. The chances of getting a key that fits your locks is pretty low by just picking a random key.

You might have some luck if you post a photo of the top of your lock.
Old 04-16-2019, 07:24 PM

That seem like a bit of hard work but is there any way you can do it on top of the bolts inside the car?

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Put the S on jackstands or a lift.

Drill and tap a hole for a bolt, inside the seat bolts from the undercarriage.

Thread bolt into seatbolts, put a wrench on it and crack the bolts loose, remove the wrenching bolt from the underside

unthread the seat bolts from the passenger cabin by hand.

replace the bolts.

no key needed, just room under the car to drill a hole into the center of the existing bolts without using vices and screwing up the threads
Old 04-16-2019, 10:55 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Get a set of stripped bolt extractors and hammer on the closest size. You're gonna toast the lock but it's useless without the key.
Old 04-17-2019, 03:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a dremel to cut into the seat locks then used a flat tip screw driver to unscrew the locks.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:30 PM

Received 156 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by EvoX2k
That seem like a bit of hard work but is there any way you can do it on top of the bolts inside the car?
sure can, but the hardware store likely won't have reverse threaded bolts that screw in counterclockwise, so when they bottom out it unscrews the seat bolt

if you're patient.. amazon some reverse threaded bolts.

I personally would go from beneath because i dont wanr metal shavings in my carpet...

the above is an option too, but again metal shavings everywhere with a dremel..
Old 04-18-2019, 05:57 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

I suggest drilling out the center stud deep and wide enough to get a "broken bolt extractor" ("EasyOut") in the hole. You may need a couple of industrial bits starting with a small bit and then enlarging the hole.

I just removed my keyed lock bolts earlier this week in anticipation of getting a new roof installed in a few weeks. Wanted to be sure NOW that I could get them out. Needed to hammer the special key into the top of the nuts for a secure grip and used my 1/2" rattle gun to extract them. I doubt I'll put them back.

Just run a small vacuum next to the bolts while you're drilling and there will be few chips in the carpet. Dripping some oil on the bit will help this too.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 04-18-2019 at 05:59 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the same situation as you!!!! I bought my 3rd s2k and it happened to have these on there. I need that tool as well. I’m gonna go home and check if the previous owner who gave me a bag of bolts had the tool in there. If it’s there, I’ll let you borrow it.

Quick Reply: WTB/rent: kodokan seat lock's key