S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

125K miles - Tune up & maintenance suggestions

Old 08-14-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 125K miles - Tune up & maintenance suggestions

My MY00 w/ 125K miles has been sitting in the garage for a while due to the birth of my daughter and the purchase of the 4-Runner. My wife is now able to stay at home with our daughter which has allowed me to enjoy the S again.

For the past month I've been bringing it back to life:

*Replaced the top w/ EZON glass conversion
*Replacing tires this week with Continental Extreme Contact DW
*Replaced spark plugs

Planning on:

*Replacing PCV
*Changing differential fluid
*Changing transmission fluid

Any other recommendation?

I'm a rookie mechanic at best. Planning on purchasing some jack stands and jack to get me started working underneath the car.

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:36 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I hope you have changed the diff & trans oil at least once before 125K. I think the diff oil is supposed to be changed every 30K and the trans every 60K. PCV valve every 10K or 20K, forget which. Might want to have the axles checked for wear and read the axle nut re-torque threads. Remember to change the cabin air filter.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 3,462 Likes on 2,489 Posts

On top of all that do an oil change. if you can't siphon the old fuel out burn it off and fill with fresh fuel and run a bottle of Redline fuel injector and system cleaner through it, one bottle does two tanks. How's the air filter for cabin and intake ?. Did you ever adjust the valve clearances on it ?. How old is the coolant ?. Run the air conditioner for a bit to circulate the lubricant. Regrease the shifter as per the TSB on it.
Old 08-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by WarrenW
I hope you have changed the diff & trans oil at least once before 125K. I think the diff oil is supposed to be changed every 30K and the trans every 60K. PCV valve every 10K or 20K, forget which. Might want to have the axles checked for wear and read the axle nut re-torque threads. Remember to change the cabin air filter.
I think the diff has only been changed once and am pretty certain the tans oil hasn't at all. Same deal with PCV, never been changed. I did re-torque the rear axle nut which fixed the clicking (happened in reverse I believe).

Never changed the cabin air filter... pretty sure I'm breathing some disgusting air with the top up!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
On top of all that do an oil change. if you can't siphon the old fuel out burn it off and fill with fresh fuel and run a bottle of Redline fuel injector and system cleaner through it, one bottle does two tanks. How's the air filter for cabin and intake ?. Did you ever adjust the valve clearances on it ?. How old is the coolant ?. Run the air conditioner for a bit to circulate the lubricant. Regrease the shifter as per the TSB on it.
Oil has been changed every 3K miles.
Haven't replaced cabin air filter
Replaced intake air filter around 70K
Have not adjusted the valve clearances. Will scan the forum on how to do this.
Coolant is ancient but the A/C blows extremely cold.
Will scan the forum to regrease the shifter.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm excited to see how all of this makes a difference!
Old 08-14-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 3,462 Likes on 2,489 Posts

Originally Posted by shuneycutt
Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='1313379901' post='20877809
Oil has been changed every 3K miles.
Haven't replaced cabin air filter
Replaced intake air filter around 70K
Have not adjusted the valve clearances. Will scan the forum on how to do this.
Coolant is ancient but the A/C blows extremely cold.
Will scan the forum to regrease the shifter.
t
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm excited to see how all of this makes a difference!
Sounds good , all those items have good DIY threads on this site and aren't too hard to do. I hope you don't puke when you see your used cabin filter it will be absolutely horrid at that age.

Always jack up the car level on four stands and put the wheels under the side rails for extra insurance, we've lost some members due to improper jacking procedures and trying to use 2 stands instead of 4 when doing the diff and tranny fluids. Good luck with things if you do most of those items your car should run totally different .
Old 08-15-2011, 12:18 PM

Old 09-23-2011, 09:35 PM

So I've checked some items off the list:

• transmission fluid change
• differential fluid change
• new radiator and complete flush so I could upgrade to type 2 fluid
• adjusted clutch pedal
• added modify dash bracket w/ iphone4 proclip

Next on list:

• valve adjustment
• replace master & slave clutch cylinder
• fix side bolster on driver's seat
• clear headlights
• led conversion
• get alpine 500/5 amp working
• wire in Bluetooth receiver to amp
• new windshield
• install a footwell sub
• get dents fixed
• get ricks carpets
• fix windscreen
• get and install qubes led dash

Last but not least clean and detail!

I've have really enjoyed working on the car so far, considering I paid to have everything done before now. This has been a great learning experience. My wife even said I looked sexy working on it in the garage!
Old 09-26-2011, 11:44 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Change your coolant. There is a good chance you still have the original green coolant, which means it's nearing 12 years old, which means it's waaaaaaay past its rated life.

Do a complete flush and re-fill with honda type II blue coolant. DIY for this is available on the forum.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by vtec9
Change your coolant. There is a good chance you still have the original green coolant, which means it's nearing 12 years old, which means it's waaaaaaay past its rated life.

Do a complete flush and re-fill with honda type II blue coolant. DIY for this is available on the forum.
I did the complete flush and upgraded to type 2 when I replaced the radiator. I still have some air pockets since the heater doesn't blow hot until I rev the engine for a while. Car is running so much better.

Quick Reply: 125K miles - Tune up & maintenance suggestions