S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

155k Mile Maintenence

Old 03-15-2019, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 155k Mile Maintenence

So i am planning to pick up an 05 S2000 next weekend. The car has roughly 155k and i don't know much about the previous maintenance or service history on it other than a few things. Every time i buy a new car i always do a bunch on maintenance for peace of mind and so i can start a routine maintenance schedule going forward. Just want to see if anyone had any other recommendations or additional things to add. Here is what i plan to do and whats been done:
- Intake filter (Done)
- Cabin air filter (Done)
- Clutch/Cruise Control Grommets
- Map Whack (Done, but i will probably take the throttle body off anyway and just clean it and as much of the inner manifold as i can)
- Engine oil
- Trans Fluid
- Diff Fluid
- Bleed the clutch
- Brake fluid
- Spark plugs
- Valve adjustment

Those are the things i plan to do pretty much immediately. Over the course of the first year i will probably replace the Clutch, Flywheel, Slave and Master cylinder.

Anymore recommendations or things i should do? Thanks guys

Old 03-15-2019, 06:05 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Axle nut TSB
Replace TCT
Condition seats and top
4 wheel alignment
inspect all rubber bushings -replace worn or torn ones
inspect and replace if necessary the motor, trans and diff mounts
Old 03-15-2019, 07:59 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Coolant
Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Shin Etsu grease all seals and rubbers
valve cover gasket, spark plug tube seal o rings
hex bolt o rings
Old 03-16-2019, 07:11 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

List seems plenty complete. You'll know if you need a clutch and fly wheel soon enough but they're not scheduled or preventive maintenance.

Coolant is a definite scheduled maintenance issue. Plenty of information on bleeding the system in the library. Differential requires GL-5 oil, not Honda differential fluid.

Replace the TCT with the Billman Gen-X. Accept no substitutes. Takes 10 minutes.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Billman250; 03-16-2019 at 07:22 AM.
Old 03-16-2019, 11:43 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

There is a very comprehensive thread created a few years ago, to answer this exact question. Its called thread for new owners (or something to that effect).

Everything you need to know and much more...
Old 03-16-2019, 01:13 PM

Thanks guys. Forgot about coolant haha, definitely will add that to the list. . Also Chuck, you recommend that over the Ballade TCT? Used that on my previous s2000s with no issues and seems to be pretty heavily praised on here as well. Everything is to each their own of course, just curious if you had any specific reasoning.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:11 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

In case yours are saggy, Modifry Softtop straps: Convertible Top Fix

Will prevent tears in the top:
When the OEM elastic straps wear out the top does not retract correctly, jamming the top material between the support bars. This not only prevents complete lowering of the top but some customers have reported it caused the top to tear!
While working on the throttle body you might want to clean the Idle Air Control Valve (+ Idle Relearn Procedure afterwards):

https://youtu.be/xWtNORKhOJ

There is a good chance your pulley bearings might need replacing as well:

Old 09-03-2019, 04:52 PM

I suppose ill update this. I got the car and have done most of the things on the list aside from the valve adjustment as well as a few other things not listed. Since getting it I've faced a few small issues. One being while changing the spark plugs, all of the coil pack plugs/connector tabs completely broke apart from being terribly brittle which hopefully is just from the high mileage and plastics tendency to get brittle over time and NOT that the engine was overheated or consistently ran too hot at some point previously. That being said, i got them back on and tightly secured them with two small zip ties per coil pack. I went online and was able to order oem brand connectors to repin them and be good to go. It started up fine with no misfires.Things were fine for about 2 months up until about a week ago i started it up and ran pretty rough along with a flashing CEL which went away after about 2 seconds. Its happened 3 times now only on cold starts. So with that being said i know the spark plugs aren't the issue because they were just replaced so i'm leaning towards one of the broken plugs starting to lose connection or the coil packs themselves due to old age. The replacement connectors came in and i'm going to go ahead and order new coil packs as well and hope that those two things solve the issue. The other issue i came across was i noticed my dash starting to flicker very badly. A Little research lead me to believe it was the beginning signs of a failing alternator or an internal bit called the rectifier that you could replace instead of the whole unit. I opted to just buy a new alternator. Few days pass and i am cleaning the engine bay out, unbolting fuse boxes and different things to try and get into the nooks and crannies and then i saw it. Under my passenger side fuse box a loom containing 3 wires that ran from the main harness to a brown connector that plugged in inside the fuse box was almost completely frayed and looked like it was chewed through. After finding out what these wires did it all made more sense. The chewed wires were in charge of the alternators current regulation (I forget the name of what it was called). Luckily i was able to find a guy parting out and got just that section of the wiring harness and re-wired it myself.

Now that i've had the car a few months and gone through everything i do not think it was kept up as nicely as id hoped but none the less it does still run great for its current 164k miles.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:48 PM

Received 340 Likes on 277 Posts

Brake caliper slider lube
darcy

Quick Reply: 155k Mile Maintenence