S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2 issues or concerns

Old 01-15-2019, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 issues or concerns

2002 f20c 120xxx barely driven. Extremely Maintained and taken care of.

So I have puffs that come out of my exhaust. I know these are misfires because I had similar but more violent puffs after I first bought the car. We found the issue and it needed a valve adjustment. However, I cant remember when, but the puffs eventually returned..
I've tackled a bunch of stuff so lets not go into that.
But I still have a misfire and even though injector spray was fine, I want to address this issue with RDX injectors. Theres no CEL.
Can runs GREAT! no funny idle, or weird characteristics in extreme weather. I've got no issues.
I ended up getting the car tuned because I have bolt ons. The tuner said the car was not misfiring.
The tuner has expressed multiple times that I do not more fuel. However, I still see non-s2000 injectors as my fix.

I have a friend with a ap2 with the EXACT same problems. His injectors were cleaned or serviced, however his problem persists like mine. NO CEL

SO The question is, Can I still use RDX 410CC injectors and expect the tuner to work it out? I really want a better spray which the RDX injectors provide. Also, the MAP sensor was tested and was working correctly. However, can i use a 4 bar map sensor that I just happen to have? I suspect like the injectors, maybe a different MAP sensor may help me out...

thanks
Old 01-21-2019, 05:53 AM

Received 411 Likes on 237 Posts

Compression test.
Old 01-21-2019, 06:28 AM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Compression test might tell you a lot. You say valves needed adjustment? What were the numbers before the adjustment and how long since last adjustment?
Old 01-21-2019, 06:41 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Just to be sure, spark plugs have been replaced?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2019, 07:28 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

It's unclear if you're still getting puffs -- I agree you should get a compression test, and confirm your valve numbers before/after per the ask above.

Having said that, when I was getting puffs, it turned out to be a failing coil pack that was causing a misfire that wasn't quite strong enough to throw a CEL.

Here's a video of my symptom:

Of course, the opposite extreme of puffs/pops out of the exhaust can be overrev symptoms from bent exhaust valves -- I'm hoping that when you did the valve adjustment, for good measure, you took a close look at the valve retainers for symptoms of an overrev (e.g. recessed) to rule that scenario out.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:50 AM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

During a cold start does your car's idle sometimes dip down a lot when the air pump comes on then go back up to choke levels?
Old 01-22-2019, 06:52 AM

Received 1,243 Likes on 943 Posts

The car is barely driven as you say. So you might have leaky valve seals.

Why would injectors cure this? The car doesn't have RDX injectors from the factory. So...not sure how this would be a fix?
The following users liked this post:
tehlonz (01-23-2019)
Old 01-23-2019, 11:40 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mountains out of mole hills?

Also, the 4BAR MAP can be used, so long as the ECU knows what its receiving on that input. It shouldn't make a bit of difference beyond that.

If you're OK going for a tune, then hook up the injectors that your heart desires, otherwise just use the stock one.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:35 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

If you are having less then perfect idle or running, bigger injectors and a map sensor are not going to solve it, you will just be buying an EMS to tune the car then. Many times the tuner wont even get you as smooth a tune as oem. All you can do is makes sure your injectors are clean and functioning which it sounds like they are, and you have a proper valve adjustment, good coil packs, clean IAC valve and usually anything else inconsistent going on beyond that is due to some level of oil consumption in this motor.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:36 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by HarryD
It's unclear if you're still getting puffs -- I agree you should get a compression test, and confirm your valve numbers before/after per the ask above.

Having said that, when I was getting puffs, it turned out to be a failing coil pack that was causing a misfire that wasn't quite strong enough to throw a CEL.

Here's a video of my symptom: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UvraTFpOuE

Of course, the opposite extreme of puffs/pops out of the exhaust can be overrev symptoms from bent exhaust valves -- I'm hoping that when you did the valve adjustment, for good measure, you took a close look at the valve retainers for symptoms of an overrev (e.g. recessed) to rule that scenario out.
Is this confirmed fuel blow by, or just typical morning condensation we all can get?

Quick Reply: 2 issues or concerns