S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

2nd and 3rd gear sticks in when stopping the car

Old 04-17-2014, 01:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd and 3rd gear sticks in when stopping the car

Hello all fellow enthusiasts!

I'll try to use plain language to explain my problem, but english is not my native language so this might just end up being something cryptic. Try to keep up, any help is highly appreciated. And if it helps (and I'm sure it does) I can also explain you fluent in finnish well here goes nothing

My AP1 is from the year 2000. I have owned the car few years now but dont know too much about the history before that. Anyway the issue is that when casually driving and slowing down to traffic lights for instance, the 2nd and 3rd gears are slightly stucking and have to be forced to neutral. It just gets somehow stuck on gear and the gear shift is hard to get on neutral. This happens only on very slow speeds when stopping. I don't have any other issues with shifting on high speeds nor low speeds. I am afraid that there is something wrong with clutch or worse with transmission and I'm sure this will get worse if not fixed.

I have tried to use the search option and I found that there seems to be quite a lot problems with especially AP1's 2nd and 3rd gears. Still didn't find anything exactly similar with my problem and I think this is only the beginning of some seriously worse problem. I could use some pointers if there are anyone who had the same problem and survived. I have changed the transmission and differential fluids about 1000-1500km ago and clutch fluids changed maybe 100km ago. Only used the genuine Honda fluids. These didnt seem to have any effect on the issue. I guess the next step would be to investigate the clutches master cylinder..? Or maybe adjusting the clutch.. I'll try to do these this weekend and hope for the improvement. I would really want to get this feature out of my car cause it's really grinding my gears. And ruining the pleasure.

Many thanks in advance!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:27 PM

Welcome! Your post was perfectly legible to me

The only suggestion that I would have is to check your clutch master cylinder (inside your car, where the clutch pedal presses on it) to see if there is any leaking fluid visible. If so, your clutch master cylinder could be going bad and making it difficult to disengage the clutch.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:13 PM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

Have you ever changed your transmission fluid?
Old 04-17-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Tonni
I have changed the transmission and differential fluids about 1000-1500km ago and clutch fluids changed maybe 100km ago.

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Have you ever changed your transmission fluid?

and the OP thought he had a problem with English

OP...first, your English is very good...second, does the issue seem to go away as the vehicle warms or is it pretty consistent? your 2nd/3rd gear synchro sounds like it might be having issues if you clutch master cylinder checks out fine
Old 04-17-2014, 11:13 PM

Thanks for fast replys and thanks for understanding me

yes so at least the fluids are all changed recently. I changed the clutch fluids from under the hood, and not by bleeding under the car from bleeder screw. I sucked out small amount from the reservoir and replaced it with new fluid. I only did this couple times and the fluid in reservoir seemed to get back dirty fairly fast. Before I even managed to put the caps back on it was already dirty. So I think I'll have to do this also again so many times that the fluid stays clear just to get sure that this is not the reason for gear change problems.

Does not matter whether the car is warm or just started. But also the gears does not stuck every time. I have tried to get it to stuck on purpose just for trying to figure out why is it doing that. But it wont stuck when needed it just always surprises me. It's like the car is f@#king with me.

Btw this might be the only forum where the first reply is not "crappy car. Buy bmw." haha, thanks guys. I will post more as the situation evolves.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:35 AM

I checked the clutch master cylinder but didn't find any signs of leaking. Although the cylinder seemed to be original so changing it anyway wouldn't propably hurt.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:52 AM

Quick update. The problem is still there and I can't wrap my head around it. It is pain in the ass, but I have learned to live with it. Or actually I have learned to avoid sitting, but when I do, the pain is there. You see, the gear sticks only on engine braking in a narrow range of mid rpms when trying to change gear.

Solution to the problem: Just let the engine brake little more so the rpms go down little lower before changing the gear. You can actually feel it in the car (and in the ass) when the gear stops sticking, then change the gear! Kind of annoying, but I wouldn't want to change the clutch just to see that it wasn't the reason. And it doesn't effect in any other way, in other situations the car shifts perfectly. Maybe I just avoid it and wait for that "well, there's your problem"-moment.

Otherwise the car is truly a dream car. Drives absolutely amazingly perfect. Just changed all the brake pads and retorqued the rear axles and now it is even better than before. The car has truly been worth every penny.