S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

36k and only oil changes...Any issues?

Old 03-21-2004, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my S2K since 2/2000. I have not had any service done on it except regular oil changes. The car has 36k miles on it now and is my daily driver. Am I courting issues by not having other checks or changes performed? When I was last at the dealer getting oil I found that the 30k service was $400. Pretty steep, but less I am sure than a failure of some kind out of warranty.

Is there anything I can check myself (having zero experience with automotive work) or should I have Honda do any specific checks?

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

You should really get all your fluids replaced, such as transmission fluid, differential fluid, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and possibly coolant. Other then that, if your car runs fine you shouldn't worry about anything. I'd also keep an eye on your air filter, brakes, and tires.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:45 PM

Originally posted by fly_S2K
You should really get all your fluids replaced, such as transmission fluid, differential fluid, brake fluid, clutch fluid, and possibly coolant. Other then that, if your car runs fine you shouldn't worry about anything. I'd also keep an eye on your air filter, brakes, and tires.
Thanks for your reply. Are these fluid changes what they normally do at 30k? I have had the tires replaced, but left that out because I was focusing more on the mechanical. The car has been running fine (always has), but I do want to keep it that way.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:51 PM

Yes, except for Brake fluid and coolant. According to the manual under serve conditions, the brake fluid and coolant does not have to be changed out untill 45k miles but that depends on what your fluid's condition is. At 30k I would change out all that I mentioned above.
Old 03-21-2004, 07:55 PM

Originally posted by fly_S2K
Yes, except for Brake fluid and coolant. According to the manual under serve conditions, the brake fluid and coolant does not have to be changed out untill 45k miles but that depends on what your fluid's condition is. At 30k I would change out all that I mentioned above.
Is there anyway I can check the state of any of these fluids myself?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:59 PM

Yes, for the brake fluid, look at the master cylinder reservoir and the clutch reservoir. If the fluid is very dark then you should have it flushed and bled. As for the coolant, I don't know what "bad" coolant looks like, I just change mine out annually. You can change all these fluids by yourself with the help of xviper's DIY threads.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:00 PM

Check this thread for a library of DIY posts: http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.p...threadid=108435
Old 03-22-2004, 07:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm glad your car has behaved well with only oil changes in 36K miles. Have a look at all your rubber seals - window, windshield, CV boots, steering rod boots. They may be getting dry and starting to crack. Once this happens, you'll be looking at some $$$$$$.
A MY'00 engine coolant is only good for about 3 years. You need a complete flush and new antifreeze.
Your diff fluid should have been looked at within year one. I believe Honda has been remiss in this item. The many diff problems and failures have given us some proof of this already. This should now be done annually.
The tranny fluid is another matter. If the tranny has been working well for you, then you're OK. Just do it according to the schedule in the book.
Stuff like air filter and wheel alignment should have raised their ugly heads by now if something was wrong.
The rest has already been mentioned in this thread.
Old 03-22-2004, 08:45 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by xviper
I'm glad your car has behaved well with only oil changes in 36K miles.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:16 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ScottB

Quick Reply: 36k and only oil changes...Any issues?