S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

ABS light on + burning smell

Old 12-22-2007, 03:53 PM
d.h

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS light on + burning smell

I was coming back from a short distance drive, and noticed that the abs light was on. I don't know when it came on, but I'm guessing its right after I started up the car on the way back. I started to pay attention and notice some metal rattling noise. When I came close to home, I started to smell something burning. I immediatly turned off the car once I was in my garage.

I opened the hood to took a look, and checked under the car to see if there's anything out of the ordinary. Nothing, or at least, not that I can see. I decided to start the car again to locate where the rattling sound was. When I turned on the car, the abs light was gone, and so was the sound.

I've heard of abs light coming on due to some abs/brake related problems, ....but burning smell? I'm trying to figure out what just happened, until I can have the car checked out.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Former Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you accidently leave the hand brake on when you were driving?
Old 12-22-2007, 07:50 PM
d.h

Nope, never under my possession.

On the side note, I recheck the car after starting it up, the abs light came on again, and there is a somewhat loud whistling noise coming from the right rear area of the engine bay (to the right of the fuel rail, around the brake fluid fill area).

At this point, is it safe to drive to the shop?
Old 12-22-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mileage to the shop?
Old 12-23-2007, 10:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d.h.

It sounds like your ABS unit could be messed up.

The whistling noise could be the ABS pump constantly going, resulting in higher brake pressures, activating the brakes (slightly) which in turn could cause the burning smell and noises. Also, the rattling sound could very well be the ABS unit valves being activated.

It is NOT SAFE to drive your car for ANY distance no matter how short, because the brakes could be activated or completely disengaged during driving. If you want to drive to the shop, what you would have to do is REMOVE the ABS and ABS PUMP fuses (I believe they are under the hood) to eliminate the ABS unit altogether. The yellow ABS and (possibly) red BRAKE warning lamps will go on, but it would be 'safe' to drive (like driving a car with conventional brakes). Just drive very CAREFUL!

Take care and keep us posted!

Siepel
Old 12-23-2007, 08:02 PM
d.h

Originally Posted by Siepel,Dec 23 2007, 02:20 PM
what you would have to do is REMOVE the ABS and ABS PUMP fuses (I believe they are under the hood) to eliminate the ABS unit altogether. The yellow ABS and (possibly) red BRAKE warning lamps will go on,
What is the process to removing/disconnecting the abs unit? If it takes couple hrs, I will take a stab at it. But if it's longer than that, I"ll just call the tow truck. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-23-2007, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

5 mins. just locate the fuses. they are near the abs on the fender well.
Old 12-24-2007, 01:43 AM

if the abs light is on.. the abs unit/ system is disabled and you have your regular braking.. no need to remove anything.. but if your brakes are applied all the time. than i dont think you should drive it

also you should try pulling the codes
Old 12-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by R3DS2K,Dec 24 2007, 05:43 AM
if the abs light is on.. the abs unit/ system is disabled and you have your regular braking.. no need to remove anything.. but if your brakes are applied all the time. than i dont think you should drive it

also you should try pulling the codes
R3DS2K: If the ABS lamp is on, part of the ABS unit may still function (for instance to achieve EBD braking distribution function). The ABS controller can switch off in 'levels' depending on the error. But you have a good point; it should have been disabled at least partly already.

Like ChefJ says: in any case, removal of the fuses takes just a few minutes and also requires no special tools.

Keep us posted!

Siepel
Old 12-24-2007, 06:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your brake fluid level as well.

Quick Reply: ABS light on + burning smell