S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Acura "Soft" Beep Conversion

Old 12-28-2014, 02:39 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would assume Honda shares the beeper as Acura, but many of Honda's newer models have this feature. Fit, Accord, etc. Maybe would be worth looking at a wiring diagram to see how they're installed.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:26 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kolyan2k
Thats alot of wires that u need to cut lol. I wonder if its possible to install just the buzzer like I have done on my Nissan. All u need is the wire that sends the signal to blinkers when you press lock button. Radio Shack buzzers make the same "Lexus" sound.

Tapping 2 wires for signal is not a lot. 2 more wires are for power. The rest of the wires are for those who wants flashing parking lights, which we don't need.

Your method may work fine, but I haven't tried it although I would have to think about that one. Not sure how I feel about my car chiming loudly every time I use my blinkers. You can probably run one beeper for each lock and unlock trigger, but then you'll end up having two beepers.

I bought this out of convenience since I have many other cars at home that needed this, and they don't have flashing parking lights. If you could find a workable solution, then it might end up being a lot cheaper than the unit I bought.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:04 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by matt96ex
I would assume Honda shares the beeper as Acura, but many of Honda's newer models have this feature. Fit, Accord, etc. Maybe would be worth looking at a wiring diagram to see how they're installed.
Yeah, I am going to download the wiring schematics for the '04-'08 TL to see how the beeper is configured.

When I'm back from vacation, I plan to remove the beeper from a salvaged Acura. I'll then take on the task of installing this with a detailed DIY.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspired
Originally Posted by matt96ex' timestamp='1419809999' post='23449646
Yeah, I am going to download the wiring schematics for the '04-'08 TL to see how the beeper is configured.

When I'm back from vacation, I plan to remove the beeper from a salvaged Acura. I'll then take on the task of installing this with a detailed DIY.
I'm in for this. Currently trying to figure it out. Biggest problem right now is just having the time to get down to it.
Old 12-29-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
Originally Posted by kolyan2k' timestamp='1419786406' post='23449398

Thats alot of wires that u need to cut lol. I wonder if its possible to install just the buzzer like I have done on my Nissan. All u need is the wire that sends the signal to blinkers when you press lock button. Radio Shack buzzers make the same "Lexus" sound.

Tapping 2 wires for signal is not a lot. 2 more wires are for power. The rest of the wires are for those who wants flashing parking lights, which we don't need.

Your method may work fine, but I haven't tried it although I would have to think about that one. Not sure how I feel about my car chiming loudly every time I use my blinkers. You can probably run one beeper for each lock and unlock trigger, but then you'll end up having two beepers.

I bought this out of convenience since I have many other cars at home that needed this, and they don't have flashing parking lights. If you could find a workable solution, then it might end up being a lot cheaper than the unit I bought.
I meant it only works when you lock the car, not when u use blinkers. Nissan had a separate wire for that right in the trunk, took me about 5 minutes to do the job
Old 01-31-2015, 07:47 PM

So I started to look into this recently with having downtime at work. I could get a "keyless buzzer" Part # 74940-TR0-003 for about $40. This is the beeper from a 2014 Accord, but after doing a Google search of the part, its obviously the same throughout the Honda and Acura lineup.
Pulled up a 04 S2000 ETM to look at the door lock circuit. There is the keyless door lock control unit which is right under the dash above your left knee. Very easy to get to.

There is an orange wire coming off that to control the horn relay. This orange wire is also shared with the main horn circuit (Circuit 61)
When you press your lock or unlock button, that signal goes to that keyless CU and when locking, obviously the horn sounds.
I thought about making a separate mini relay harness off that orange signal wire and have the buzzer off that. I could be wrong, but I don't see any other way to do this correctly.

I still need to double check this, but I'm pretty sure since you would be eliminating the horn operation from that control unit, when you press the panic button, you'd have a soft, unintimidating beep noise. This kind of bothers me, because I'm weird and like things to operate correctly. Also, possibly having a soft beep noise, say when the windows are down, doors locked and someone reaches in to unlock it.
The horn on your steering wheel should still operate correctly.

Anyone else have any input or suggestions?

Gigantic pics of the ETM for reference. Sorry.
Attached Thumbnails Acura "Soft" Beep Conversion-img_8065.jpg   Acura "Soft" Beep Conversion-img_8066.jpg  
Old 01-31-2015, 10:34 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

??

Cant you just:
-program your keyfob so that it doesn't honk when you lock the car.
-program the soft beep to your turn signals.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:40 PM

Received 1,250 Likes on 946 Posts

^I just realized the flaw in my logic.
Old 02-01-2015, 05:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by matt96ex
So I started to look into this recently with having downtime at work. I could get a "keyless buzzer" Part # 74940-TR0-003 for about $40. This is the beeper from a 2014 Accord, but after doing a Google search of the part, its obviously the same throughout the Honda and Acura lineup.
Pulled up a 04 S2000 ETM to look at the door lock circuit. There is the keyless door lock control unit which is right under the dash above your left knee. Very easy to get to.

There is an orange wire coming off that to control the horn relay. This orange wire is also shared with the main horn circuit (Circuit 61)
When you press your lock or unlock button, that signal goes to that keyless CU and when locking, obviously the horn sounds.
I thought about making a separate mini relay harness off that orange signal wire and have the buzzer off that. I could be wrong, but I don't see any other way to do this correctly.

I still need to double check this, but I'm pretty sure since you would be eliminating the horn operation from that control unit, when you press the panic button, you'd have a soft, unintimidating beep noise. This kind of bothers me, because I'm weird and like things to operate correctly. Also, possibly having a soft beep noise, say when the windows are down, doors locked and someone reaches in to unlock it.
The horn on your steering wheel should still operate correctly.

Anyone else have any input or suggestions?

Gigantic pics of the ETM for reference. Sorry.
Matt,

I have been so swamped with work that this project along with a few other projects got thrown on the back burner. I'm glad to hear you put some thought into this. I do think you're onto something.

The panic button dilemma is what I had thought of too. I press the panic button (which I hardly ever do, but still, it would cool if it works like you said), and the soft beeper goes off.

I'm just brainstorming out loud, but do you think an RSX door lock unit would work on the S2000? It has the soft beep when locking the doors, and I'm willing to bet there is a separate signal wire for the door look beep and the panic horn. It's a 2 door car like the S2000, so they may be similar?
Old 02-01-2015, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by Inspired
Matt,

I have been so swamped with work that this project along with a few other projects got thrown on the back burner. I'm glad to hear you put some thought into this. I do think you're onto something.

The panic button dilemma is what I had thought of too. I press the panic button (which I hardly ever do, but still, it would cool if it works like you said), and the soft beeper goes off.

I'm just brainstorming out loud, but do you think an RSX door lock unit would work on the S2000? It has the soft beep when locking the doors, and I'm willing to bet there is a separate signal wire for the door look beep and the panic horn. It's a 2 door car like the S2000, so they may be similar?
The RSX along with other Honda/Acura models have many functions that are controlled and run through a MICU (multiplex control unit) aka the fuse box. So with that particular model, I don't believe there is a separate control unit to control the door locks. I could be wrong.

You could be on the right mindset- with looking for a similar separate door lock control unit. At that point, in my opinion, I wouldn't want to go through the hassle of finding one that worked even remotely similar to the S2000 one.

I'm going to continue to think of ways to make it happen, but so far it doesn't look good.
Like I said before, I'm weird and want things to work correctly, and having that panic button not work right would drive me nuts.

Quick Reply: Acura "Soft" Beep Conversion