S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

aem air bypass valve do you really need one?

Old 05-11-2003, 10:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your car is driven through water that was deep enough to submerge your whole enginebay, it would be done anyhow. Hydrolock would not be the main issue here, your Lude's engine block would probably have cracked and your electrical system would've been shot.

That said, the bypass valve is for the uninformed consumer, it does nothing other than to lose the 4-6hp gain that the cai gives. If the cai is installed properly it won't cause hydrolock. I know because I've driven through some major storms and deep puddles with the cai installed on both my S2k and my old Si and had no problems. I know most people who have hydrolocked had their cars slammed to the ground and/or had the splash shield removed at the time allowing for all the water kicked up by the wheels into the intake. But that is the fault of the owner of the car, not the cai's.

But if I could make a few bucks on some paranoid customers by selling them this bypass valve, I'd probably do it too..
Old 05-11-2003, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, makes sense
Old 05-11-2003, 12:24 PM

What i was getting at is that even with it, it does not get rid of the water, it does not work.
MAtt
Old 05-11-2003, 12:41 PM

Water up to the windshield??? That's not the CAIs fault and would hydrolock a stock air filtration system too. A N Y system. You'd need scuba gear or flotation devices not a bypass valve. Hint..if everyone is on the roof of their house waiting for rescue boats, it's a flood. Just kidding!!

Go back to using CAIs. Don't drive through deep water. Rain is no problem. AT ALL. Spashes either. It's floods ya gotta look out for.

Stan
Old 05-12-2003, 07:35 PM

bottom line is you probably won't need to buy it.

I was like you, when I bought my AEM CAI, I got the bypass valve. The moment I see standing water, I go the other way. I would do that in ANY car. Once in took the bypass valve off, the car was noticebly more responsive. Sounds even better, and I am assuming that I gained my lost hp back from the bypass valve.

From a person who first went with it, then took it off, I vote skip on the bypass valve. Hope that helps.

Tom
Old 05-13-2003, 03:29 PM

IMO you are stupid not to buy one,
it WILL save your motor, trust me, i've seen it work. its either 50 bucks for the BV or 3000-5000 for a new motor, you make the call.

oh and the filter doesnt have to be totally submerged to suck up water, it will inhale the water even partially submerged.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one brand new, who ever wants it PM me.

Chris C.
Old 05-13-2003, 06:38 PM

I have a bypass valve and live in rainy South Florida. It does make a noticable loss in HP but if there's any chance it will save your engine then it's worth it. I put mine on during the summers when we get frequent down pours but in the fall, winter, and spring when it's generally dry I take mine off to enjoy the nice cool air.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:42 PM

I have an Injen, with no bypass valve and have driven through numerous heavy downpours w/o any issues. I even have the fake ducts cut out with the Coastal Metals airflow system and still no trouble. Just don't rev the engine like mad in a deep puddle and all will be well.
Old 05-13-2003, 07:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by dereks2000
IMO you are stupid not to buy one,
it WILL save your motor, trust me, i've seen it work. its either 50 bucks for the BV or 3000-5000 for a new motor, you make the call.

oh and the filter doesnt have to be totally submerged to suck up water, it will inhale the water even partially submerged.
And imo, you're stupid to make statements like this. You have NO proof that it saves motors and if you're dumb enough to post a response like that, you are probably dumb enough to drive your car through swimming pools.. get a clue..

You're right that it does suck up a little amount of water in heavy rainfall, but all that water evaporates before it can even hit the throttlebody The thing you don't appear to understand is that it has to be FULLY submerged to hydrolock a motor so quit spewing your bullshit cuz it stinks.

Quick Reply: aem air bypass valve do you really need one?