S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AEM Serial Gauges mounted in the radio door

Old 10-16-2007, 01:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM Serial Gauges mounted in the radio door

I'm not sure if I am posting this in the right forum.

Has anyone done this project yet? I have 2 serial gauges and I have taken one apart. I'm sure it will fit in the door with the rest of the gauge mounted remotely.

The questions are:

Does anyone know of a smaller trim bezel that will fit the serial gauge?

Does anyone know of a place that can laser cut the circle in the radio door.

If I'm posting in the wrong forum, please feel free to move this post.

thanks

Mitch
Old 10-16-2007, 04:32 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Rick's offers a complete set of 4 gauges (Nordskog) installed in the radio door (at a premium price).
You might be able to get more info from him.

http://www.ricks2k.com/products/gaugeset.php
Old 10-16-2007, 02:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could try adding this to the EJ and or FI forum as well.

I'll leave it here....someone else may....or may not.

sounds to me like you are going to have to trial and error. :yuck:

Old 10-16-2007, 03:01 PM

I think I'm going to grab a spare door an mount some gauges. Sounds like playtime with my Dremmel, and worst case I install the other door!

I'd rather them installed in the door than on the S pillar, despite how cool they look up there. Our view through the windshield is small enough.

Why would you laser cut it? it's plastic! hell, you could drill a big hole in the center and file the openings to size. If you're nervous about drilling through, heat up a BBQ skewer or something and just pierce the front of the door, then work from there. I say you can do this without power tools, but I'll still use my Dremmel.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:07 PM

I My Dremmel too
Old 10-16-2007, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by NVMY4N,Oct 16 2007, 05:07 PM
I My Dremmel too
I mod all kinds of stuff in life with my Dremmel! Any time something doesn't fit right, look right, or work well, out comes the Dremmel. I really should pick up one of those extension things that lets you do the detail work. I just spent 12 bucks (yes, you heard right) on a monstrous replacement kit with a million sanding discs and attachments. www.princessauto.com FTW

Annnnyway, I think I'll be purchasing some gauges real soon and start this little project. Now, which ones to buy?
Old 10-16-2007, 05:40 PM

Since I went FI this summer Im going to need gauges as well.......but unsure about which ones to buy as well.

I have a spare AP1 radio door......(replaced with Silver AP2 V2) Not sure if Ill do the Radio door though or not.

I like the pillar look, but hiding them would always be cool too - only problem....not much room to hide........

[/threadjack]

Anxious to see some sort of reply regarding the OP

I wanna see some more pics!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:44 AM

I'm familiar with the Rick's gauges. I was jsut wondering if anyone else has attempted this mod. The trim ring on the werila gauges is huge, over 1/2 deep.

I was hoping that I wasn't the first (*I'm sure this can be done) and that they had found a replacement trim ring that would be much less deep for this to work. Currently the trim trim would keep the door form opening all the way.

thanks for the input

Mitch
Old 10-17-2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by S2KSuzuka,Oct 17 2007, 02:44 AM
I'm familiar with the Rick's gauges. I was jsut wondering if anyone else has attempted this mod. The trim ring on the werila gauges is huge, over 1/2 deep.

I was hoping that I wasn't the first (*I'm sure this can be done) and that they had found a replacement trim ring that would be much less deep for this to work. Currently the trim trim would keep the door form opening all the way.

thanks for the input

Mitch
Have you measured the max depth for the gauges in the door? I don't have my car at the moment and cant measure. I'd like to run by the store tomorrow and take a few measurements of gauges to see what'll work.

Even if I don't install the pickups and sensors for a couple months in the winter, I think I'll screw around with mounting them sooner than later. If you do it first, make sure to take some pictures, I'll be doing the same when I install. I don't mean to steal any business from the good guys at Rick's but this is a project I can do myself, and I can better spend the cash on other things since my pockets aren't overly flush
Old 10-17-2007, 02:32 AM

I have already looked at the serial gauge in depth. it will fit if the display is removed form the gauge itself. the rest of the gauge can be mounted under the dash somewhere. I'm currently working on finding a new trim ring and getting some parts together to do this mod. Once I have all the parts, I will begin the process and take pics.

I'm very familiar with a dremel, I have some other thoughts on how to mount the gauges in the door and a perfect cut may be required if i don't find a trim ring that will work in this application

Quick Reply: AEM Serial Gauges mounted in the radio door