S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Aftermarket Honda HDS obd scan tool?

Old 10-03-2022, 08:39 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts
Default Aftermarket Honda HDS obd scan tool?

Interested in purchasing an HDS setup. Something that I can run on a laptop, plug into ODB port, run some of the Honda specific diagnostics that aren't available with a generic ODB scanner.

I don't have $2k to buy an actual Honda HDS. But I see there are some aftermarket setups. But I can't decipher what is what.

There are companies selling an HDS kit, a cable and a cd for around $30. Load software onto laptop, plug cable from laptop to odb. Bought one, can't get it to work.

There is also something called a Honda HIM, some sort of intermediate hardware module that plugs into odb, then something plugs into that?

Anyone know what works, what is needed? Something a diy person that doesn't need the best, fastest, most comprehensive tool, but that will actually work?

What do I need to buy? What software do I need?
Old 10-04-2022, 01:47 PM

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

I got this setup. The reviews are positive and I plan to use it to calibrate my passenger weight sensor when I install my Recaro PP. I haven't tried it out yet but @Jub recently posted that he had success doing the same thing I'm looking to do. Maybe he can confirm if this is the same setup he got.
Old 10-04-2022, 02:02 PM
Jub

Received 394 Likes on 314 Posts

^ I saw the link that you've posted. Did you receive yours yet? I chose not to buy from there because it was shipping from overseas. Aside from just shipping, I was skeptical of downloading software from certain places.

I bought off ebay and don't have a physical Honda machine. I was skeptical but asked the seller some questions before buying. Still a little bit skeptical but I took the leap and it all worked out. The "Pass-Thru" cable, driver for that cable, and HDS software are what I used. I have Windows 10 Home and it was pretty straight forward.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31417299686...Bk9SR4jHkdD0YA
Old 10-04-2022, 05:01 PM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Ok, looks good. So the red end plugs into odb, the other end into laptop USB port, correct? Then its just load software and run it? Turn on key and it talks to ecu, yes?

Works with modern laptop, modern os, no rs-232 port nonsense, right?
Old 10-04-2022, 05:13 PM
Jub

Yep, laptop with Windows 10 was all I used. It states that for i-HDS (newer version), you need Windows 10 Pro. The i-HDS software seemed to run on my Windows 10 Home so I think it'll work but I didn't try using it with my car. As I understand, HDS does basically everything except they transitioned key programming to i-HDS. If you needed to re-program a key, you'd need to buy a license from Honda, etc., etc.

Nuance aside, I was able to purchase the pass-through, download software, and run HDS to my car on a Windows 10 Home laptop. Only thing I've used so far is using the re-calibration for the 06+ Pass. Seat Weight sensor. Honestly, the standard OBD-Link is much more convenient for standard CEL type stuff. I don't see me using HDS much except for these specific sensors that come up over time.
Old 10-04-2022, 06:37 PM

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Jub
^ I saw the link that you've posted. Did you receive yours yet? I chose not to buy from there because it was shipping from overseas. Aside from just shipping, I was skeptical of downloading software from certain places.

I bought off ebay and don't have a physical Honda machine. I was skeptical but asked the seller some questions before buying. Still a little bit skeptical but I took the leap and it all worked out. The "Pass-Thru" cable, driver for that cable, and HDS software are what I used. I have Windows 10 Home and it was pretty straight forward.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/31417299686...Bk9SR4jHkdD0YA
Yeah I received it long ago, ordered it back in 2020. It came with a CD/DVD for the software and the version numbers all look similar, so I assume it's all the same stuff that's just constantly updated. Only issue is I don't have a disc drive in my PCs LOL. I'll have to download the software from somewhere. If it doesn't end up working out I'll just have to go with the one you shared.
Old 10-04-2022, 07:31 PM
Jub

You can buy an external CD drive for like $20. You may be able to find the HDS software online but I wasn't willing to download random crap. The seller I bought from just sends .zip files via email.