S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Amsoil signature series

Old 04-25-2013, 03:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amsoil signature series

What's your guy's take on amsoils claim on 25k oil change intervals with their signature series? I'm obviously not going to wait that long but I'm nearing 5k on this oil and was thinking about maybe waiting another 1-2k before changing it?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just started using this oil and I plan on changing it anywhere from 5k-7k. I've read on these boards the a few take it to 10k miles (change oil once a year). That would be nice.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As always: get a UOA.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:21 AM

Received 170 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by hondavet
What's your guy's take on amsoils claim on 25k oil change intervals with their signature series? I'm obviously not going to wait that long but I'm nearing 5k on this oil and was thinking about maybe waiting another 1-2k before changing it?
Under normal driving a good syn like amsoil will easily go 7.5k and yes you can push it much further. The harder you drive the car the sooner you should change it with somewhere between 7.5-25k being the range. To cover 25k in one year would mean a lot of freeway - easy on the car. I would probably consume about 2-3qt over that distance also leading to fresher oil in the system.

Clearly pushing that distance shouldn't go without review.

Any other way to so this is buy less costly syn oil and just change every 7.5k

At 25k the filter becomes the weak link.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:33 AM

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by hondavet' timestamp='1366890122' post='22498284
Under normal driving a good syn like amsoil will easily go 7.5k and yes you can push it much further. The harder you drive the car the sooner you should change it with somewhere between 7.5-25k being the range. To cover 25k in one year would mean a lot of freeway - easy on the car. I would probably consume about 2-3qt over that distance also leading to fresher oil in the system.

Clearly pushing that distance shouldn't go without review.

Any other way to so this is buy less costly syn oil and just change every 7.5k

At 25k the filter becomes the weak link.
+ 1 with the miles on the oil filter, that is one more reason I run a oversize filter. I run my oversize filter 15k to 17k miles and my UOA show my filter is still good.

ROD
Old 04-25-2013, 03:49 PM

1. My 04 with 43k miles on it that I have owned for 3 yrs. is now using the Amsoil, and I will change it 1x/yr. since I only put about 11k/yr. on it with year-round driving here in Indy.
2. I am also using Amsoil for the trans. in order to minimize the notchiness, and in the diff, also.
3. I change everything each summer.
4. This is the only car good enough that I've owned worthy of the Amsoil; the Mobil was $6.50 per qt. at Sam's Club, and I was surprised I could get the 25k miles Amsoil for $8/qt., so changing once/yr. instead of twice/yr. is also cost effective.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by doddg
1. My 04 with 43k miles on it that I have owned for 3 yrs. is now using the Amsoil, and I will change it 1x/yr. since I only put have the 25k miles it claims.
2. I am also using Amsoil for the trans. in order to minimize the notchiness, and in the diff, also.
4. This is the only car good enough that I've owned worthy of the Amsoil; the Mobil was $6.50 per qt. at Sam's Club, and I was surprised I could get the 25k miles Amsoil for $8/qt., so changing once/yr. instead of twice/yr. is also cost effective.
Have you tested the oil to see what's actually going on though? That's really the question.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have put about 8k since my last oil change with Amsoil Signature Series. Since then ive probably added 1.5 quarts of oil. Around 5k I changed the filter as well. I'm pretty sure I could go a few more miles. Just to be safe I'm getting my oil changed next week though.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by MBHs2k
I have put about 8k since my last oil change with Amsoil Signature Series. Since then ive probably added 1.5 quarts of oil. Around 5k I changed the filter as well. I'm pretty sure I could go a few more miles. Just to be safe I'm getting my oil changed next week though.
Honda filter is good for about 15K of driving as per manual. Oil changed ever 7500 miles and filter every 15,000. You're well in the clear on the filter
Old 04-26-2013, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by rob-2
Originally Posted by doddg' timestamp='1366933794' post='22500077
1. My 04 with 43k miles on it that I have owned for 3 yrs. is now using the Amsoil, and I will change it 1x/yr. since I only put have the 25k miles it claims.
Have you tested the oil to see what's actually going on though? That's really the question.
1. No, but in the reading I have done about those who do, and their results, I don't feel compelled to do so; I haven't ever heard of dozens or hundreds of cases of engine wear from using Amsoil for extended recommeded times.
2. I drive mine daily as a work car, and it gets so little Vtec that I never have used a drop of oil between changes, no track, no autocross; I only Vtec in a nice straight line in 1st and 2nd, sometimes 3rd b/c I'm a sissy, so I know that my abuse of the oil is minimal as to what others are doing that did test theirs.
3. I could be all wet; it's just my theory and take on it after reading 100s of posts about oils.
4. If I thought Amsoil was compromising protection for my beloved S, then I would simply switch back to Mobil 1 twice a year, which would be less than 6k miles, since I put on less than 12k miles/yr.
5. So, the question is, "Is Amsoil 1x.yr.for 11k miles better, the same, or worse than using Moblil 1 for 5.5k miles 2x/yr.?"
6. I'm from the school that all good oils (although Castrol used to really gum up the old 40hp VW bug engines back in my day), are just that; I grew up in a Valvoline family. It seems that alot of different oil companies are coming up with extended oils since there are enough car freaks that will pay extra for it and/or other "special" oils.
7. We all are victims of our own oil prejudices, and I do appreciate the "testing" option to know the ultimate truth.
8. It would be cool if there was a thread to report to for those who have had theirs tested, reporting the particulars, so it would all be in one place for comparison and evaluation purposes of novices like myself.

Quick Reply: Amsoil signature series