S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another Valve adjustment

Old 03-07-2002, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Valve adjustment

I noticed the car was ticking pretty loudly, and the revs were not as smooth as other s2k's. I got a 15k checkup at Autoway Honda and asked the service manager to check the valves. Of course, to my surprise, he said he checked them and everything was perfect. I knew for a fact the valves off. After taking Larry's advice (Venom) I scheduled an appointment at Bradeton Honda to get the valves adjusted. After waiting a couple of hours and ChrisD coming by (thanks chris) we got the car back. All I can say is JESUS! My car feels a whole lot better. The idle is perfect and the revs are smooth as anything. The head mechanic stated that about 7 valves were off by as much as .7 when the stock specs are supposed to be .11 to .10. All in all the total was $196.77 for the whole deal, including new valve cover gaskets. I think as owners of the highest model Honda has to other, we should get better service. I have read ridiculous stories about service fiasco's, and we should really do something about this. I mean my service manager thought my Mugen intake was a supercharger???? Come on for pete's sake....

Anyway, I truly recommend this mod to anyone that is about 15k or over. Definite difference!!!!
Old 03-07-2002, 10:22 PM

so every 15k we should get a valve job? i thought the valves dont have to be adjusted for 100k miles?
Old 03-07-2002, 10:36 PM

high revs will push the lash out of spec really fast. I'm going to have mine done here in the next couple weeks, as I've noticed increased valvetrain noise, a slightly rougher idle, and a less-than-spectacular VTEC transition...
Old 03-08-2002, 12:54 AM

I thought valve adjustment is soemthign we could do at home, barrign we have the proper tools? There have been other posts of ppl doing this, no?

Pappy, how loud is your mugen intake......is it as loud as the AEM or Injen?
Old 03-08-2002, 08:52 AM

The vavle adjustment process is something you can do at home, with the proper tools, but I just decided to have the dealership do it.

The Mugen is not as loud as the AEM in my opinion, but the sound is way different. The mugen has a much deeper tone, and sounds better.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:47 AM

I would add that you really need the proper tools - a thousandths inch measurement set (don't know what they are exactly called), and the willingness to crack open your block to look inside.

I like to get into my car and all, but I'd still be nervous about going that deep unless I had done it or seen someone do it once before.

cd
Old 03-08-2002, 10:07 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ChrisD
[B]I would add that you really need the proper tools - a thousandths inch measurement set (don't know what they are exactly called),
Old 03-10-2002, 03:14 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Pappy
The head mechanic stated that about 7 valves were off by as much as .7 when the stock specs are supposed to be .11 to .10.
I'm happy that the adjustment has improved your car . Are you sure about them being out of spec by 0.7"? That's a HUGE amount! When I adjusted my valves, two exhaust valves were off by 0.01", and that was noticeable.

Valve adjustment is something easily done by a home mechanic. The only thing that makes the valve adjustment more difficult on the S2000 compared to my old '89 Civic is getting the valve cover off. Besides a standard set of box end wrenches, sockets and a screwdriver the only special tool I needed was a 45 degree offset feeler guage - about $7-8 at Sears .

Here's a link to an excellent thread on valve adjustment in the S2000: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...alve+adjustment
Old 03-10-2002, 06:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally posted by ChrisD
I would add that you really need the proper tools - a thousandths inch measurement set (don't know what they are exactly called), and the willingness to crack open your block to look inside.

I like to get into my car and all, but I'd still be nervous about going that deep unless I had done it or seen someone do it once before.

cd
"Feeler Guages". Taking off the valve cover does NOT crack open the block nor can you look inside it. A valve job is not going very deep but if you screw up, look out! But then, some guys can screw up an oil change.
Old 03-10-2002, 07:54 PM

In case anybody cares, a "valve job" is replacing the valves (or grinding them) and cutting new seats. You guys are discussing a "valve adjustment" which is a pretty simple, routine maintenance item.

The only thing that is potentially problemmatic is understanding the proper drag to have on a feeler guage. It should not bind, but there should be some tension when you pull it.