S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Another view of the Fumoto oil change valve

Old 09-12-2004, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Another view of the Fumoto oil change valve

After several leaky adventures with the stock plug, and a mess on my X-brace after an oil drain, I installed the Fumoto with the oil nipple. No leaks at all now. Just slip on 3/8" hose and let it rip.

Now, many have posted that their valves have never opened on their own, and I am sure that is true - but I still am going to get some stainles steel "spring" clamps to put around the release valve collar, as the Fumoto brochure recommends for "severe off road use".

WHY?

My thinking is this - first, it could not hurt. But mainly, I want to ensure that if some miscreant were to be looking around for something to yank on my car, and saw the valve, he or she just might decide to have some fun and release the oil valve. "Hey guys, watch what happens when that S2000 fires up!".

Or, during a State inspection, the tech sees the valve and decides to check it out, opening it, and letting out who knows how much oil. Techs being what they are, he (she?) would likely quickly close it and look around to see if any other techs saw them - and might never add the needed make-up oil. Or, they let a lot drain, and put in some crap oil, maybe even overfilling it.

So for my money, adding the safety clamp is worth the peace of mind. I ordered a bunch of them, so if it works, I might offer them to those that send a SASE to me.
Old 09-12-2004, 04:04 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a generousofer RR!

I have used these valves in 3 vehicles, including the S2000, and they have all worked as advertised. No leaks, easy operation (after the first time), and easier oil changes.
Old 09-12-2004, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was always afaid to put the valve because some nitwit might see it and let the oil go. If that safety clamp works, i'd be interested to put one in. Where could I get one??
Old 09-12-2004, 11:22 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE=Fusiondynamics,Sep 12 2004, 10:37 PM] I was always afaid to put the valve because some nitwit might see it and let the oil go.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:26 AM

RR;

What was your experience with those Canadian magnetic drain plugs with the rubber insert washer?

Regards,
BD
Old 09-13-2004, 09:24 AM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought one of those magnetic plugs that RR turned us on to about 6 months ago. It fits just like it is supposed to, and the rubber insert washers are super cool.

I like mine alot. I only wish I could get a tranny drain plug from them too. I've asked RR a couple times for the size to see if I can order one, but have not had any luck yet. Maybe I'll find out on this thread?!?!

Hockey
Old 09-13-2004, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Road Rage,Sep 12 2004, 04:49 PM
So for my money, adding the safety clamp is worth the peace of mind. I ordered a bunch of them, so if it works, I might offer them to those that send a SASE to me.
Where'd you get the clamps from? If you're serious about the SASE, I'll go for one...

Jean
Old 09-13-2004, 03:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.mcmaster.com/asp/enter.asp?part...K12&pagenum=215

I ordered some of both the spring clamp and the wide spring clamp. Will advise after test fitment.

If I give you my address via PM, I will expect you to respect my privacy and not divulge it - seem reasonable?
Old 09-13-2004, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Road Rage,Sep 13 2004, 07:58 PM
http://www.mcmaster.com/asp/enter.asp?part...K12&pagenum=215

I ordered some of both the spring clamp and the wide spring clamp. Will advise after test fitment.

If I give you my address via PM, I will expect you to respect my privacy and not divulge it - seem reasonable?
Oh, we order stuff from McMaster-Carr all the time. Maybe I can get the guy who orders stuff to get me one. Then you don't have to worry about me broadcasting your address

Let us know how it fits/works. I've been contemplating getting the Fumoto valve, but was a little hestitant. But now, I'm pretty much ready to order!

Jean
Old 09-13-2004, 07:11 PM

Hello

I ordered the Fumoto oil valve w/o the Nipple? is the my04 S supposed to use the model with or without?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Another view of the Fumoto oil change valve