S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone have any experiences using REDLINE engine oil?

Old 03-01-2002, 10:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have any experiences using REDLINE engine oil?

My bro and I are thinking about converting to Redline engine oil. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried this on their s2k. How well does it work?

Any info would be helpful
Old 03-02-2002, 03:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did try once and my comment won't be any scientific or good.
But I didn't feel anything special compare to Mobile 1 or Syntec Castrol.

I am leaning towards trying Royal Purple next time, I heard it is even better than the most synthetics out there.
Old 03-02-2002, 04:06 AM

I ran my modified, 222-hp Contour SVT with Redline 0W-50 (Vermont) and switched the tranny oil to synth because the 1-2 shift in the SVT's are notoriously clunky in cold weather. After only 50 miles or so, the 1-2 notchiness disappeared and the car ran like a top otherwise. Used no oil and even gained a few HP with the synth. Having said all of that however, I am switching to Royal Purple in my S2000 for the first oil change (again, both eng/tranny oil) . I went with RP in my long since departed Camaro SS because other users commented that from their experience, it was the only brand of oil which seemed to illeviate the dreaded excessive oil consumption problems common to a great deal many of LS1 engines. I've done a LOT of motor oil research and you really can't go wrong with either Redline or Royal Purple. Mobil One is fine as well, but I'm going with RP for my new S2K when it comes time for the first change.
Old 03-02-2002, 05:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cart and F1 uses Mobil 1....Do you drive your car more agressivly than an Cart/F1 car? Than why would you look for more than Mobil 1 when its more than enough for our cars? Ill keep my money in my pocket and stick with Mobil 1...

Peace
Old 03-02-2002, 05:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Russ - stick with non-synth for your first change. wait until the second or third change to swap to a synth or synth-blend.
Old 03-02-2002, 06:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ
[B].... Having said all of that however, I am switching to Royal Purple in my S2000 for the first oil change (again, both eng/tranny oil) .
Old 03-02-2002, 07:00 AM

yeah...use mobil1 10w-30 synthetic.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:12 AM

I've been told to stay away from Royal Purple engine oil by an ex Mobil employee who worked with engine lubricants. As the conflict of interest case can be made, take it for what it's worth. She told me that RP uses solids in their oil, I think she mentioned graphite specificaly, to increase it's lubrication. These build up and end up causing premature wear, oil starvation and other nasty stuff. Looking at RP's website, it mentions that it's oils are designed for race teams - people who tear down and rebuild their motor on a regular basis. As I don't plan to open my engine for 150k+ miles, I'm sticking with pure synthetics.
Old 03-02-2002, 07:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Tugz_S2K
Cart and F1 uses Mobil 1....Do you drive your car more agressivly than an Cart/F1 car? Than why would you look for more than Mobil 1 when its more than enough for our cars? Ill keep my money in my pocket and stick with Mobil 1...

Peace
Do you rebuild your motor everytime you take it for a spin? Do you think the oil that they use is the same oil they sell at the store?
Old 03-02-2002, 09:01 PM

Originally posted by cdelena

A number of us have tried RL, RP, and other synth lubes in the tranny with disappointing results. I suggest staying with the Honda MTF in the transmission.
Can you give me some experience as to what happened in your case? I've only chosen synth tranny fluids to facilitate smoother shifting in colder temps we get here up 'til late April but since this is a nine-month car, perhaps in this case, I'll stick with OEM fluids for the tranny. As for graphite in Royal Purple statement, they state on their website the following:
Royal Purple's products are EPA safe and do not contain lead, chlorine's, PTFE's, graphite, or other dry solids like molybdenum disulfide
Mike, I could see why you added your "take that for what its worth" statement from the Mobil 1 employee who claimed RP adds graphite. The motor oil business is as cut throat is any other.
As for CART/F1 using Mobil 1, Royal Purple is used by various teams in every major automobile racing league/series in the world, including IRL, NHRA, etc so the point you made Voodoo applies to RP equally as well!
Both are great oils but the MTF comment is one I am interested in pursuing more of...in some cases, synth in the tranny is not desired but after 25 years of driving sportscars, I haven't owned one yet that did not benefit from the change I would really like to know what would make my S2000 different.
Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Anyone have any experiences using REDLINE engine oil?