S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Anyone with a single (not dual) exhaust?

Old 05-16-2001, 05:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious if anyone makes or has had custom-built a single exhaust pipe from front to back. My knowledge of exhaust systems and of 4 cylinders is that scavenging is greatly improved with a single exhaust system. I would also think that with the relatively low CFM rates of our engines (compared to, say, a 427 Ford) that a single 2.5" pipe would be more than efficient enough. This would of course require the use of no cat and no muffler or a straight-through muffler to see a substantial power increase.

Any thoughts?
Old 05-16-2001, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my street car I have the HKS but on the race car we have a 2.5" exhaust system with a N1-type muffler. I do agree with your idea that this setup would be better for top-end power but it's definetly louder than the HKS.

If you buy the Mugen ECU you will see a diagram in the instructions stating the lenght of the muffler and pipes for a custom single exhaust. This probably reflects that their choice, for racing, is a single exhaust.
Old 05-16-2001, 06:31 AM

Todd,

Amuse makes a single exhaust pipe for the S2000. It's titanium and weighs like 8lbs compare to the stock 50lbs exhaust. I think it's the best exhaust in terms of horsepower for the S2000, since it's a single.

HondaGuy from Dallas has the Amuse exhaust on his car. It looks pretty nice. It slants out at an angle. Looks nice because of the titanium finish.

Try a search on Amuse exhaust or go to zigzagasia.com for pics.

BTW, did you get an S2000?
Old 05-16-2001, 06:40 AM

Originally posted by DeeGYM
- snip -
Try a search on Amuse exhaust or go to zigzagasia.com for pics.

BTW, did you get an S2000?
Thanks for the link and lead. I'm seriously considering building my own, but titanium (and that weight savings!) is hard to beat.

Yes, I did- I finally got one. Picked it up yesterday from Lute Riley, a '01 with 16 miles on it. Red. It took 2 hours of haggling, but finally got something "reasonable" for the Prelude trade-in and managed to get the S2k for sticker. I thought I was going to have to walk, but they finally agreed. I highly suggest asking for the "internet salesperson" when calling around; this guy hassled me the least of any salesman. I think it had to do with the fact that he wasn't commissioned, at least not off the sales price (just a flat per-car rate).

I absolutely love this car. I should've held out and gotten this instead of the Prelude. It's great!!!
Old 05-16-2001, 06:48 AM

If you are looking for a single exhaust system that is light and not too expensive take a look at the J's Racing. Giampiero (MG Racing) can get it for you. This is the one going in our race car as we are having some fiting problems with the custom one made locally.

[Edited by Pepe on 05-16-2001 at 08:26 AM]
Old 05-16-2001, 06:56 AM

Is the tanabe also single?
Old 05-16-2001, 07:48 AM

Quan, Pepe...

Any word on power gains on these?
Old 05-16-2001, 08:09 AM

Originally posted by Pepe
On my street car I have the HKS but on the race car we have a 2.5" exhaust system with a N1-type muffler. I do agree with your idea that this setup would be better for top-end power but it's definetly louder than the HKS.

If you buy the Mugen ECU you will see a diagram in the instructions stating the lenght of the muffler and pipes for a custom single exhaust. This probably reflects that their choice, for racing, is a single exhaust.
Pepe: what's the spec mugen stated? come on, out with it!
Old 05-16-2001, 08:23 AM

Todd,

If I recall correctly, I think someone said an 8hp gain with the Amuse exhaust.

I'm trying to get HondaGuy to dyno his car again, but he's planning on getting the Mugen header first.
Old 05-16-2001, 08:29 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Pepe
[B]If you are looking for a single exhaust system that is light and not too expensive take a look at the J's Racing. Giampiero (MG Racing) can get it for you. This is the one going in our race car as we are having some fiting problems with the custom one made locally.

[Edited by wileecoyote on 05-16-2001 at 10:12 PM]

Quick Reply: Anyone with a single (not dual) exhaust?