S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 fuse 23

Old 05-11-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 fuse 23

Fuse 23 (under dash) keeps burning out when I shift the car into Reverse. I change the fuse and everything works fine until I shift the car into reverse. It controls my tailights, keyless entry, dash/gauge lights, etc. It all started when Fuse 5 burnt out, replaced it, then now Fuse 23 is acting up. Not too good with electrical stuff but was able to figure out it shorts the fuse when I engage reverse gear.

any ideas? Thanks.

note: car is all stock. Reverse lights are stock.
2001 S2K

Last edited by itsStringerBell; 05-11-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-11-2018, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by itsStringerBell
Fuse 23 (under dash) keeps burning out when I shift the car into Reverse. I change the fuse and everything works fine until I shift the car into reverse. It controls my tailights, keyless entry, dash/gauge lights, etc. It all started when Fuse 5 burnt out, replaced it, then now Fuse 23 is acting up. Not too good with electrical stuff but was able to figure out it shorts the fuse when I engage reverse gear.

any ideas? Thanks.

note: car is all stock. Reverse lights are stock.
2001 S2K
update: I checked the wires of both tailights to see if maybe some wires were touching. Separated them to the best I could. Then I retried my last 3 fuses, 1st once I tried and same result. Last 2, didn’t realize my lights were still “on” and both fuses made a spark and blew on contact. I’m guessing that was due to my headlights being on still.
Old 05-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fuse 5 is most likely the culprit. It should be 7.5 amp; 23 should be 10 amp. Most importantly fuses come in two types; slow blow and fast blow. You need slow blow in both applications. When items are first powered up (like reverse lights) a current surge occurs in the electrical circuit. It is very brief. A slow blow is designed to absorb the “in rush current” while a fast blow will pop right away. My guess is it a fuse issue. Verify rating and slow blow in both locations.

Utah
Old 05-11-2018, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Utah S2K
Fuse 5 is most likely the culprit. It should be 7.5 amp; 23 should be 10 amp. Most importantly fuses come in two types; slow blow and fast blow. You need slow blow in both applications. When items are first powered up (like reverse lights) a current surge occurs in the electrical circuit. It is very brief. A slow blow is designed to absorb the “in rush current” while a fast blow will pop right away. My guess is it a fuse issue. Verify rating and slow blow in both locations.

Utah
Yes, I’m aware of the difference in Amp between the 5 & 23 fuses.

Im going to assume they are fast blow (I’m away from the car and fuses at the moment). If they are fast blow, what would be the benefit of using a slow blow?

thanks
Old 05-11-2018, 06:21 PM

question already answered in my first post. If you need more detail Google is your friend.

utah
Old 05-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Went down to my local Zone and asked if they carried Slow blow or delayed fuses. They had no idea what I was talking about. Looked through the different fuses they had and didn’t notice a difference in them other than sizing and brand.

am I missing something here?
Old 05-11-2018, 07:24 PM

Also the ones I did see that say time delay fuse, are a completely different size. They look like light bulb cylinders
Old 05-12-2018, 03:49 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 763 Posts

I guarantee your problem is not fuse type.

Power is finding ground and blowing the fuse.

Think of any work that was ever performed on the car. Body, mechanical, anything. I can almost guarantee you will find a human induced error.

Follow the wire harness for the reverse lights, starting at the transmission.

Old 05-12-2018, 05:39 AM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

as billman noted you have a short. Has the tranny ever been opened up, if so they may have messed up dropping the subframe and stretched the wiring at the tranny
Old 05-15-2018, 05:16 PM

Follow the 00-01 S2000 Electrical Troubleshooting Manual published by American Honda Motor Co. Part number 6S2A01EL. Hopefully others posting have said manual as I do. I asked about the fuse as I had this issue years ago on another circuit and it’s a good place to start. As Billman noted look at what may have been disturbed. Areas of interest per the noted manual:

Fuse 5- Back Up Light and Instrument Light Circuit
Back up lights
DRL indicator (Canada only)
EPS Control unit
Gauge Assembly
Keyless Door Lock Control Unit
Convertible Top Control Unit

Fuse 23 Small Light Control Circuit
Audio Unit Light
Cruise Control Main Switch Light
Front Parking Lights
Gauge Lights
Hazard Warning Indicator Lights
Hazard Warning Switch Light
Heater Control Panel Lights
Keyless Door Lock Control Unit
License Plate Plate Light
Option Connector
Convertible Top Switch Light
Rear Side Marker Lights
Tail Lights

Hopefully you find the short to ground where suggested as the Rear Lights are tied to both 5 and 23. If not look at other areas which may have been disturbed as previously noted, particularly items common to both fuses.

Utah

Quick Reply: AP1 fuse 23