S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP1 Head Installation

Old 07-04-2010, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AP1 Head Installation

hey guys i'm in the proccess right now of reinstalling my head and i have a couple questions for you guys that hopefully can be answered for me.
Ok first off when i took off my head there was still some coolant in the motor so when i got the head loose and cracked it i had coolant spilling and i'm pretty sure it got into my oil galleries so my question is how do i flush that out? Do i jus put oil in it start it and change the oil again after running a little bit. second question would be how do you put the motor back in timing? and last question how do you wrap the timing chain back around the gear? please if any one knows any answers to these questions lmk because i'm really trying to get my car running soon thank you.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:57 AM

Drain and change the oil to get the coolant out and there is timeing marks on the cams the front sproket and the crank that all have to match up for the timeing and yes the chain goes over the front sproket. Which no offence but if your asking that question maybe you shouldn't be doing this. Didn't you take it apart?
Old 07-04-2010, 10:15 AM

i know how the chain goes on i just don't know how to put it on if that makes any sense when i took of my head the idler gear shaft broke into my head and dropped the gear so it was super easy to take off the chain i didn't even have to loosen the tensioner that is why i am asking how to put it on. and als0 i'm only 19 its a learning experience for me. as for draining and chainging the oil would there still be some in the pan cuz the oil doesn't fully drain
Old 07-04-2010, 01:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by control_freak,Jul 4 2010, 10:15 AM
i know how the chain goes on i just don't know how to put it on if that makes any sense when i took of my head the idler gear shaft broke into my head and dropped the gear so it was super easy to take off the chain i didn't even have to loosen the tensioner that is why i am asking how to put it on. and als0 i'm only 19 its a learning experience for me. as for draining and chainging the oil would there still be some in the pan cuz the oil doesn't fully drain
you should buy a helm manual, you will love it !!
Old 07-04-2010, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by crank,Jul 4 2010, 01:30 PM
you should buy a helm manual, you will love it !!
link please lol
Old 07-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Former Moderator

Received 298 Likes on 277 Posts

www.helminc.com
Old 07-05-2010, 05:20 AM

Search eBay for a PDF file or some one might have it on here I bought the disk for 5 bucks and have it all on my shop computer so it's there when I need it. It's hard to explain how to put the chain on it has two blue links thst match up to the mark on the pully and then the marks on there have to be level with the head and then th cams have to be level with each other all while the crank is on it's mark.

As for the oil you will get 99% of the water and oil out if u drain it and fill it with fresh oil and if your really worried just run it for 1000 miles and do a change again but I would go the regular 3000
Old 07-05-2010, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by control_freak,Jul 4 2010, 09:08 AM
hey guys i'm in the proccess right now of reinstalling my head and i have a couple questions for you guys that hopefully can be answered for me.
Ok first off when i took off my head there was still some coolant in the motor so when i got the head loose and cracked it i had coolant spilling and i'm pretty sure it got into my oil galleries so my question is how do i flush that out? Do i jus put oil in it start it and change the oil again after running a little bit. second question would be how do you put the motor back in timing? and last question how do you wrap the timing chain back around the gear? please if any one knows any answers to these questions lmk because i'm really trying to get my car running soon thank you.
theres really no way to "flush" out the oil, you'll just have to fill/drain and fill/drain untill you're satisfied that the coolant is all out. the good thing is that all the coolant would have just sank to the bottom of the pan since obviously the engine never ran to really mix the oil/coolant.

to put the motor back in timing, put cylinder #1 at top dead center. line up the TDC marks on the main gear. it has 2 lines that line up flat with the head.

to put the timing chain on, you have to have the timing chain tensioner removed. put the bolt in but do not thread it in. allow the gear to "hang" down a bit. you'll want it to hang down towards the passenger side to allow room to get the chain in between the gear and chain guide. while doing this have the gear's timing marks turned about one tooth clockwise. because once the chain is on, the slop in the chain should be on the TCT side and once the tensioner is in, it'll push on the chain and turn the gear a slight bit, bringing it back to TDC.

i just reinstalled my head 2 days ago so all this is still fresh in my head. if you still have questions and can't wait for your helms manual to get shipped in, PM me with your number and i'll talk you through it.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:19 PM

I just did a cylinder head removal and install myself. Make sure you lube up all the moving parts with oil before putting everthing back together. And if the timing is not 100% the car will not start at all. This is due to our timing being computerized.

Did you put cylinder #1 at TDC before taking it apart? VERY IMPORTANT!

And with the oil you're just going to have to drain and fill a couple of times just like jeggy said. Oil is more dense than water so the water should sink to the bottom. or you can take your oil pan off and clean it up.

The timing chain is easy to put back on if you follow the helm. manual. then put in the tensioner and put tension back on to the chain. When I did mine I had a new tensioner that I put in so I didn't have to worry about putting the bolt in the middle of the tensioner.

Hope you get it done and good luck to you!
Old 07-05-2010, 08:56 PM

thanks guys for all the info ima try this weekend to get everything done ill let you know what trouble i run into and if i even get it running lol just checking with you guys do you think this link would be a good guide to go with?

http://garageninja.com/honda-s2000-f20c-cy...show_comments=0