S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 Hard to shift at high rpms

Old 05-17-2019, 07:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the long delay but I have not had time the past few weekends to do the work. I had the chance to get to it tonight. Basically I replaced my master/clutch slave cylinders, added the boot for the slave, greased what I could and added/flushed with new fluid.

I took it for a drive after I think I can report my issue is fixed. Its been the first time in a long time where I could hit VTEC and shift successfully. Did a few high RPM downshifts without any fuss either. The weird buzzing which I suspected was coming from my master cylinder also seems to have gone away. Im going to try keep a close eye on over the next few days to make sure everything continues to work.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:04 PM

Just a final update

TLDR: It was the clutch

I was driving back home one afternoon, and while just cruising, I heard a small metallic pop come from my transmission. then maybe 30s later, another. I wasnt sure what to think of it but got home safe, parked, and went on with my day. Next morning as I was driving to work, I noticed it was hard to put the car into gear. I got to my work parking lot and tried putting it into first with no luck. It wouldnt go into any gear while the car was on. I could get it into gear when it was off. I got it towed to a shop who managed to take a peak, and said my throw out bearing failed. Their quote to replace the clutch/TOB was ridiculous (almost 3k) so I had it towed to some local S2K mechanics.

When they took it apart, they found a non-oem clutch that threw a spring and got wedged in the pressure plate. My continued driving probably caused the TOB failing to fail as well. Replaced everything (Clutch,TOB,Sleeve,Bearings,Pressure plate, flywheel) with OEM parts. Its insane what a night and day difference. this was back over the summer, so things have been going well. the only sort of issue now is a tiny bit of notchyness when the transmission is cold in 1st and 2nd. its smooth as butter when warm. I just double clutch until its up to temp for a while.
The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (02-18-2020)
Old 02-17-2020, 05:09 AM

Received 405 Likes on 339 Posts

Originally Posted by Sutitan
Just a final update

TLDR: It was the clutch

I was driving back home one afternoon, and while just cruising, I heard a small metallic pop come from my transmission. then maybe 30s later, another. I wasnt sure what to think of it but got home safe, parked, and went on with my day. Next morning as I was driving to work, I noticed it was hard to put the car into gear. I got to my work parking lot and tried putting it into first with no luck. It wouldnt go into any gear while the car was on. I could get it into gear when it was off. I got it towed to a shop who managed to take a peak, and said my throw out bearing failed. Their quote to replace the clutch/TOB was ridiculous (almost 3k) so I had it towed to some local S2K mechanics.

When they took it apart, they found a non-oem clutch that threw a spring and got wedged in the pressure plate. My continued driving probably caused the TOB failing to fail as well. Replaced everything (Clutch,TOB,Sleeve,Bearings,Pressure plate, flywheel) with OEM parts. Its insane what a night and day difference. this was back over the summer, so things have been going well. the only sort of issue now is a tiny bit of notchyness when the transmission is cold in 1st and 2nd. its smooth as butter when warm. I just double clutch until its up to temp for a while.
When was the last time you did transmission fluid?
Old 02-18-2020, 03:02 AM

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

Check pedal adjustment as well
Old 02-18-2020, 05:54 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Sutitan, thanks for the update. Now, shifting at high R's is fine? Once, transmission is warmed-up?
Old 02-22-2020, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
When was the last time you did transmission fluid?
I got it done at Honda less than 5k miles ago. Just checked my service papers and they put in "08798-9031". Doesnt look like its MT3 after googling. Honestly im not even sure whats best at this point. MTF on here threads make me dizzy.

Originally Posted by starchland
Check pedal adjustment as well
After I thought I resolved this the first time (with the new clutch master/slave cylinders), I felt like I was adjusting it every other day. I eventually got it to a point I was happy, with what I assume is all the freeplay remove.

Originally Posted by windhund116
Sutitan, thanks for the update. Now, shifting at high R's is fine? Once, transmission is warmed-up?
Yup. The transmission feels so different with the new clutch. throws are effortless compared to what they used to be. It typically takes 5-10 minutes of warming up for it to start shifting regularly, depending on how cold it is outside.

A few bonus photos for those still reading. First photo is once the transmission was dropped. noticed the busted TOB, and a spring caught in the pressure plate. 2nd picture is the old, failed clutch. 3rd is the new parts in.

The following users liked this post:
windhund116 (02-24-2020)
Old 02-23-2020, 01:49 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Genuine-Honda-08798-9031-Manual-Transmission oil Genuine-Honda-08798-9031-Manual-Transmission oil

-- Chuck
Old 02-24-2020, 04:48 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Sutitan
I got it done at Honda less than 5k miles ago. Just checked my service papers and they put in "08798-9031". Doesnt look like its MT3 after googling. Honestly im not even sure whats best at this point. MTF on here threads make me dizzy.

After I thought I resolved this the first time (with the new clutch master/slave cylinders), I felt like I was adjusting it every other day. I eventually got it to a point I was happy, with what I assume is all the freeplay remove.

Yup. The transmission feels so different with the new clutch. throws are effortless compared to what they used to be. It typically takes 5-10 minutes of warming up for it to start shifting regularly, depending on how cold it is outside.

A few bonus photos for those still reading. First photo is once the transmission was dropped. noticed the busted TOB, and a spring caught in the pressure plate. 2nd picture is the old, failed clutch. 3rd is the new parts in.

Love the photos! Thanks!
Old 02-24-2020, 06:28 AM

Received 1,253 Likes on 948 Posts

For future posters....stuff like this is almost always a clutch or bearing issue.

Start with the easy stuff. Bleeds, adjustments, etc. But don't be too optimistic.

Usually, someone has installed an aftermarket clutch and it has failed. 99.9% of these type of threads end up like that.

If you have an aftermarket clutch...some component in that system will fail at some point before the clutch wears out.

Old 02-25-2020, 03:30 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

In particular, if you are having shifting issues that affect every gear and you've already covered the easy stuff, this usually indicates a clutch problem. My friend just went through a similar predicament in his 2006 RSX Type S--trouble shifting into every gear. He spent over $3000 on a brand new tranny + LSD + labor. Of course, his problem ended up being the same exact thing that happened to the OP and to myself in my old 1994 Civic EX--spring popping out of the friction disc.

Quick Reply: AP2 Hard to shift at high rpms