S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

AP2 shift boot install, with pictures

Old 03-28-2008, 04:40 PM

Received 217 Likes on 78 Posts
Default AP2 shift boot install, with pictures

I've updated these directions. You DO NOT need to remove the hazard and roof switch from the console. There is enough clearance with them in.

This job is one of the easiest things i've ever done to the S. This shows how to remove your shift boot from an AP2 and install a new one - in this case, a CR boot. Bear with me, i've added quit a bit of detail.

Tools needed:
- Phillips screwdriver
- Adjustable wrench
- Towel or rag

The first thing you'll need to do is remove the shift knob.
I put a rag between the nut and the wrench to prevent scratches. Back the nut off a quarter turn, and then the shift knob will easily unscrew. Take the nut off and set both aside.

Next you will need to remove the center console top. There are six clips on the under side. Grab the front or back of the console gently, but firmly, pull upward until the console pops free.

Before you can remove it, you must disconnect the hazard and roof switches. Each has a locking tab you need to press while gently wiggling the connector free. The roof switch tab (gray and black) faces toward the rear and the hazard tab (gray and blue) faces toward the passenger seat.

Once you've disconnect both switches, pull the console out of the car and take it inside. Hint - the parking brake must be fully pulled back.
Lay a towel or a piece of carpet on your work bench or table and place the console on it upside down.

Remove the two phillips scews as shown by the green arrows. This will loosen one side of the shift boot holder. These two screws are the same as each other, so don't worry about mixing them up.

Take note of the direction of the flaps that are stitched onto two sides of the boot. The replacement boot must be installed facing the same direction as shown.

The boot and its retainer ring is now only held in by six plastic tabs. While pressing each tab in, gently pull the boot from the underside. Work your way, one at a time, and it will easily come out.

You old boot is now free, and it's time to install your new shift boot. Turn your new shift boot inside-out (if it isn't already) and place the numerous holes thru the plastic posts and under each of the six clips on the retainer ring. It helps if you curl the edge of the boot.
Don't forget to make sure the boot is in the correct orientation. The CR shift boot has a reinforcement sewn onto one side. That will face toward the rear.

While holding the boot onto the plastic ring, press it into the console until all six tabs snap back into place. Work your way, one at a time and the tabs should easily snap into place. If they don't, the shift boot may have come off of one of the plastic posts. DON'T FORCE IT - THE POSTS CAN EASILY BREAK.
Two of the tabs and two posts are shown below.

Install the two short screws into the retainer ring (green arrows)
DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN THE SCREWS!! They are only going into plasic, so just snug them up. No gorillas needed here.

Re-install the console. As they say, installation is the reverse of removal

- Slide the console over the parking brake and thru the shift lever.
- Insert the each of the two electrical connectors back into the switches. You cannot mix these up, the connectors are specific.
- Give a firm push, or whack over each of the locking tabs to seat the console into place

- run the shift knob nut all of the way down until it bottoms out.
- screw on the shift knob until it bottoms out on the nut, turn it back until its aligned, and then tighten the nut against the bottom of the knob.

Sit back and enjoy your handy work. This took me about 20 minutes, and that includes taking the pictures.

The following users liked this post:
datadr (03-07-2019)
Old 03-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

Old 03-28-2008, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice, I've been thinking about doing this as well. Where did you buy the parts?
Old 03-28-2008, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by SDUECE,Mar 28 2008, 09:01 PM
Nice, I've been thinking about doing this as well. Where did you buy the parts?
Hardtopguy. He's a club sponsor.

http://www.hardtopguy.com/store/home.php
Old 03-29-2008, 12:27 PM

awesome! i almost bought the cr boot and knob. Now that you posted this up, i think i might order them now.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:31 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

Great write-up Pete..

I followed the instructions and they work perfectly...

<---I have the CR knob and boot now as well.... I love the look.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:59 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

nice write up
Old 07-25-2009, 01:13 AM

nice write up! will def do this in near future! thanks!
Old 07-28-2009, 07:15 AM

Hey, do you guys know if i can get that boot in red? I have found the knob at hard top guy but I cant seem to find that exact boot. I have found others but the oem quality is nice.
Old 07-28-2009, 01:20 PM

I got the yellow stitched boot from Hardtopguy. The red one from the euro civic has a round base, not square.

Quick Reply: AP2 shift boot install, with pictures