S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

autolite xp26 iridum spark plugs

Old 06-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default autolite xp26 iridum spark plugs

has anyone heard anything about these spark plugs. how would they compare to like denso and would they even work in an s2000
Old 06-18-2010, 09:32 PM

spark plugs wont give you any gain in hp. as a toyota tech, i recommend sticking with oem plugs, denso or ngk made for your car
Old 06-19-2010, 03:24 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

But I thought the ones with 5 prongs instead of one give you 5 times the spark power which equates to 5 times the explosion which means you get 5 more hp and 5 more mpg. That's what the directions say. And they cost 5 times as much and last 5 times as long, so I won't have to buy new plugs for a half million miles, right?
Old 06-19-2010, 03:30 PM

As R3 said, I would stick w/ oem NGK. I ran bosch iridiums once and nearly killed my car. Ran way too hot and the porcelain cover went loose and nearly cracked.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by davidc1,Jun 19 2010, 03:24 PM
But I thought the ones with 5 prongs instead of one give you 5 times the spark power which equates to 5 times the explosion which means you get 5 more hp and 5 more mpg. That's what the directions say. And they cost 5 times as much and last 5 times as long, so I won't have to buy new plugs for a half million miles, right?
Unless the laws of physics/electricity have changed,
it will ONLY spark to ONE of the 5 prongs, only one.

If the spark plug has more than one prong, it's just a marketing gimic. There can be nothing gained from those spark plugs.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by davidc1,Jun 19 2010, 06:24 PM
You have this confused with installing lots of JDM type stickers \ decals.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:14 PM

um wasnt really asking about performance i was just asking if it would work i need new plugs soon and i found those on sale online..... But thanks
Old 06-19-2010, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by HondaS,Jun 19 2010, 06:14 PM
um wasnt really asking about performance i was just asking if it would work i need new plugs soon and i found those on sale online..... But thanks
by far the best advice anyone could give you is stick with oem on this one. NGK or the other brand posted. They're quality products that do what they are supposed to do, as long as the gap is set to spec.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:27 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

This is from the June issue of Road and Track, in an article "Lighting the Fire". The author says a few things that make sense, but offers pretty much nothing in proof, or even a good explanation, of most of what he says:

Good/Better/Best of Plugs
Sparkplugs gained longevity in the 1970s with the phaseout of tetraethyl lead from gasoline. This accompanied the introduction of catalytic converters, to which lead is a poison. Another thing this phased out was the 3000-mile tuneup and its replacement of sparkplugs. (Lead deposits fouling their electrodes was a typical cause of misfire.) Today, amazingly enough, original-equipment sparkplugs are lasting 50,000 miles and more. Some owners’ manuals state 150,000 miles, these recommendations associated with specific emissions classifications.
Drivers are wise, though, to let their cars’ performance and fuel economy dictate sparkplug life. Depending on conditions, a new set of plugs could be the cheapest and easiest way to tweak performance a bit, gain a tad more mpg or pass a periodic emissions test.
There’s a definite ordering of sparkplug virtue, largely defined by the composition and number of electrodes. On a scale of Good/Better/Best, roughly $3–$10 per plug, electrode materials range from yttrium-nickel-copper, to increasing levels of platinum and, at the top, those of iridium. Needless to say, the plugs seen as lasting 150K are the iridium variety.
Generally, multiple electrodes sharing the spark events give greater durability at the plug gap. And, in a real sense, plugs are designed to have their maximum gap at the end of life. Yet, paradoxically, high performance benefits from a large gap, giving the most mixture exposure to the spark. Note, in that Good/Better/Best analysis, there’s also a bit of conflict between high performance and durability. It pays to read a plug’s documentation for an indication of its design intent
Old 06-20-2010, 03:18 PM

I haven't spent much time reading lately..or remembering when reading, but a while back I did. So take it with a grain of salt.

Iridium is often good for high-temperature motors especially ones with risk of detonation. Many use them on integras and other cars that are boosted. S2ks run high revs that produces some extreme heat in the cylinders, why else would you need 93 octance.

Quick Reply: autolite xp26 iridum spark plugs