S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Axle nut, wheel bearing, or something else?

Old 08-21-2006, 07:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Axle nut, wheel bearing, or something else?

I have a noise that happens occasionally even after the axle nut has been torqued to 220 pounds. When very hot, like after an extended highway run (with periods over 90 mph) I can hear some cycling squeaking from the right rear when first getting to slower speeds. It goes away with cooling so I suspected a brake issue but cannot find anything wrong.

It also happens with heavy side loading through a turn. After the nut was tightened this was reduced but is still there with enough load.

I plan to re-torque the nut today using a little grease as it was done dry and may not be quite tight enough. Will also inspect the brakes again.

Is the noise of a failing wheel bearing substantially different that a lose axle nut? Any ideas or comments?
Old 08-21-2006, 08:10 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When very hot, like after an extended highway run (with periods over 90 mph) I can hear some cycling squeaking from the right rear when first getting to slower speeds. It goes away with cooling so I suspected a brake issue but cannot find anything wrong.

It also happens with heavy side loading through a turn.
I'm initially sensing wheel bearing. If it were the brakes, you should be able to alter the sound with mild application of the brake. If the sound changes, it's the brakes. If it doesn't, not likely brakes.
You said "right rear" first. When you load up in a turn, would this turn be to the left? (as in loading up the right side)

It also happens with heavy side loading through a turn. After the nut was tightened this was reduced but is still there with enough load.
I'm still sensing wheel bearing. Tightening that nut merely yanks the axle in tighter into the hub. This may just reduce the l/r movement of the bearing slightly, but if the bearing is going, it will still make noise.

I plan to re-torque the nut today using a little grease as it was done dry and may not be quite tight enough.
This may simply do what I posted in my previous comment. If the bearing is going or gone, tightening the nut will only be a temporary measure.

Is the noise of a failing wheel bearing substantially different that a lose axle nut?
One affects the other. A lose nut will allow for too much "schlop" in the bearing housing. This is usually observed as the "click" upon take off. This can then lead to the bearing wearing oddly, resulting in the typical bearing whine that changes with road speed. Temperature and weight loading on a bearing will also affect the presence or absence of whine and also the pitch of the whine.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:11 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Xviper, Thanks for the complete review.. sorry to say you are probably right, I will need a bearing.

I greased and tightened the nut and got a bit more of a turn, maybe 1/8 more so it staked next to where it was. The noise is gone for now.

Too bad this has come up with only 40K miles on my car. I have about six weeks left on my extended warranty.. does anyone know if HondaCare has covered any wheel bearings?
Old 08-21-2006, 04:15 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

wow, have this same exact problem. had that squeal and creaking just over a month ago. had both axle nuts greased/retorqued. well, a couple weeks after that, i get a pretty loud click when i load up the rear. it comes from the right rear, and happens 99% of the time when i'm turning right and accelerating from a stop. still havent replaced the bearing/hub. hasnt gotten worse than that one loud click, no squealing came back. make sure you buy the bearing and hub, just to be safe, the old hub may be messed up.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 290 Likes on 269 Posts

Hondacare should cover a wheel bearing.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd loosen it back to 180 and take it to honda. Milk the warranty while you can.
Old 08-21-2006, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Aug 21 2006, 05:45 PM
I'd loosen it back to 180 and take it to honda. Milk the warranty while you can.
hahahaha, thats great
Old 08-21-2006, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by iDomN8U,Aug 21 2006, 07:45 PM
They'd see where it had been staked in a different place.
Old 08-22-2006, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by xviper,Aug 21 2006, 06:16 PM
They'd see where it had been staked in a different place.
new nut maybe?
Old 08-22-2006, 08:17 AM

I can't see cdelena as being the type of person who would bother about faking something just to get a warranty claim. (Or is he? )

Quick Reply: Axle nut, wheel bearing, or something else?