S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Ballade sport tct replacement

Old 08-29-2017, 09:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ballade sport tct replacement

To start this thread off, I am fairly new to the forum. I own a MY07 for about 9 months now and it is a stock motor with only 47k miles. I am some what mechanically inclined with my brother who actually works on cars. We work on our own cars at home. With that being said, I was told that I should share this experience on this section of the forums to prevent anyone from destroying their engines. Like most people, I did my research prior to purchasing my S2K. I've read the TCT replacement threads on this forum and other forums as well as watched Engineering Explained's video on how to replace the TCT. I purchased a Ballade sports TCT to replace my original one as preventative maintenance. When my brother and I was replacing the TCT, it wouldn't fit. First thing to my mind was the tension on the chain. We turned the crank numerous times, still wouldn't fit. My brother forced it in without too much force so we both thought it should be fine at that point. Turned on the car and it idled for 20 minutes no problem. I'm not here to say Ballade sports is bad. I know they have a good reputation and I respect them as they are a huge supporter for the S2K community. I took the car out for a test drive and within a quarter of a mile, I heard a loud boom. Immediately turned off the car and coasted to the sidewall. When I popped the hood, the idler gear bolt was missing and found out it exploded by finding the pieces of it on the road. Had a buddy that is a Honda tech inspect the car. I am honestly one of the luckiest person that the bolt held my idler gear. If it had fallen, my chain would've had fallen too, destroying my motor. I had to replaced my idler gear, cam gear, idler gear bolt, idler gear collar, idler gear bushing, timing chain and timing chain guides and other few small parts here and there. My brother went to Ballade sports' shop as we live in Southern California. Their tech's inspected the TCT and said it was fine and that if it doesn't fit, it should be forced it. With that being said, I am purchasing Billman's TCT because I've read numerous post of him saying the TCT "should NEVER be forced in." Like I said I'm not here to say bad things about Ballade sports, I'm here posting my experience. Remember I purchased their TCT due to the people that uses their TCT and have no issues and I know their other products are great as well. I just probably won't recommend just their TCT to anyone anymore after that.

Sorry for the long post everyone and I hope whoever reads this will learn from my experience/mistake/whatever you want to call it to save their motor and not end up having to spend a lot of money on repairs.
Thank you for reading.

Last edited by Billman250; 07-20-2018 at 05:46 PM.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:43 AM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Here for 8 months and this is your first post. Sad it had to be such a horrible post.

Was your original TCT making noise or you just swapped it for piece of mind?
Old 08-30-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by freq
Here for 8 months and this is your first post. Sad it had to be such a horrible post.

Was your original TCT making noise or you just swapped it for piece of mind?
I heard a chain/metallic rattle from time to time. It wasn't consistent, only heard it less than 10 times in 1000 miles and lasts about 3 seconds every time. So I replaced it for a peace of mind
Old 08-30-2017, 10:05 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I hate to see this happen in general but especially to someone who seems to be so on the ball. Sorry brotha, we both know it could have been much worse. For the last 4/5 years, I've been chiming in on numerous different threads about people asking which TCT is better. My answer has always been the same, Billman. Why? It doesn't over tension the chain, simple. How is that better, well, I'd list off all the parts you broke and a few more as points that are being stressed, and no one understood what I was talking about, or how a simple TCT can grenade an engine. Well, unfortunately, thats how. I'm really glad its all patched up, it could have been a lot more expensive and atm engines are getting harder and harder to find. Really sucks when you realized that in 2-4 years what happened to you is going to happen to everyone. These cars are going to start dropping like flies.

Moral of the story, buy a Billman TCT, not because hes cool, or because hes a member, but because it ****ing works, How does it work, each one is custom made to your spec, it uses oil pressure and last but not least, all the finest components you can get, not like other TCT's using non hardened steel. One day when you open a company of your own you'll understand how difficult it is to get the reputation he has, its never by accident, its always well earned. I am one of the lucky ones, I live close to Bills shop and he takes care of my car. I've put over a 100K on it, idk how many track days, 50?, do yearly 5K mile road trips with it, take it to work, drive it in snow, rain, sun, hot, cold, tbh I'm never worried. I still get 27mpg, oil stays nice and clean, I don't burn any oil, he really does it right.

Oh and PS, Its called a Cam chain tensioner in the book, Bill coined it the TCT and its stuck since.

This is what a billman maintained car can do, everyday, all day, 365.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:31 AM

Received 147 Likes on 96 Posts

To be honest ive heard many stories over the years with ballade tct failure, and worse how they handle the situation when presented with it.
I would also second buying billman TCT.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:17 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by RussianHammer
To be honest ive heard many stories over the years with ballade tct failure, and worse how they handle the situation when presented with it.
I would also second buying billman TCT.

Hmmm....interesting. I've been on the forum for years, and I've never heard of a single failure. As recently as last year, there was a huge thread on the various brands of TCT, and why people liked each one, the only issue presented was excessive wear on the center pin. But never a failure. The pin was redesigned, and it's been fine since from what I understand.

As far as the the OP saying the techs at Ballade said to force the TCT in....well......I'd say they may be a little misunderstanding of what "force it" means. The OP stated "My brother forced it in without too much force so we both thought it should be fine at that point." So, you gotta take some ownership on that.

There's an old saying "If it don't fit, force it". But...it's a joke. Sometimes you gotta wiggle a part, jiggle it. cajole it, rock it....but you never "force" it. I think you may have had a different idea of what they meant by "force".