S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Before I order a new clutch master cylinder

Old 05-03-2009, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Before I order a new clutch master cylinder

After extensive use of the search feature, I believe I need to replace my clutch master cylinder. I have a MY00 with 63k miles, oem clutch with 11k miles. My clutch has been operating just fine, then overnight, it seemed to become very soft with a lot of free play. The engagement point also went from fairly high up on the pedal, to pretty low. There are no leaks on the carpet or firewall area, however, my fluid is low and there seems to be a small leak/drop on the clutch master cyldiner (sorry for the awkward angle and poor lighting/picture quality, this leak is not defying gravitiy, I just can't hold a camera straight when in such an awkward position)

Before I order a new clutch master cylinder and bleed the system, are there other things I should check/do? The slave cylinder does not appear to be leaking. Thanks for your input!

Old 05-03-2009, 12:21 PM

i would fill it and bleed it first then try to find where you are losing fluid.
but it does sound like its the master u never know.
Old 05-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Ahhh, alrighty I'll do that.. I'm not very mechanically inclined, but where should I check for leaks, aside from the master and slave cylinders?
Old 05-03-2009, 12:35 PM

those are the most common places unless u somehow have a hole in you line. its not very common i dont believe.

but me im just cheap like that. id rather spend a few bucks on fluid and make sure im fixing the right thing. cuz trust me you will be very pissed if you bought a new master cylinder and it ended up that not being broken.

it is always better to have a friend over and help you out when doing any work on a car as an extra set of hand will make the work 10x faster.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:53 PM

I will step up and say I guarentee it is your CMC. That 'drip' IS the leak. Its not as though its leaking so much youre gonna see a puddle on the ground, its a slow leak, thats why your clutch still works.

CMC + clutch bleed will fix your problem.

If you just bleed it, it will work fine for a few days before getting soft and crappy again.
Old 05-03-2009, 03:34 PM

Thanks guys!
Old 05-03-2009, 04:33 PM

I had a similar problem... where it went to the floor before disengaging the clutch and also a VERY small leak, I checked the fluid level and it was very low... I filled the thing and bled it and it seemed to fix the problem... no more leaks... and the pedal positioning was perfect.

So try that first then come back and see tell us. If it works for a while then buggers up then you might just need to bite the bullet and buy a new CMC.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:24 PM

Yeah man, that's exactly what I'm going to do tomorrow! The leak I found may have been residual buildup from a long period of time, at least a new CMC is cheaper and easier for me to install than a new clutch! Thanks!
Old 05-03-2009, 10:12 PM

well when you fix it come back and tell us we were right lol.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:01 AM

After bleeding and flushing the clutch fluid everything seems back to normal. Unfortunately, I did it alone with the help of a broom handle holding the clutch down(was not fun). So far the CMC doesn't seem to be leaking, I only drove the car for 15 minutes or so though. Hopefully that solved it. Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply: Before I order a new clutch master cylinder