S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Which Is The Best Air Compressor to Get?

Old 06-23-2019, 04:42 PM

Received 1,443 Likes on 967 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidNJ
What tools do you use with that? It seems to be rated for a fairly low airflow (3.3 SCFM@90 psi) and it has a very small tank, 4 gal. The pictures and videos show it being used by carpenters to drive nail guns; none show a mechanic with any typical automotive application (e.g. impact gun, shear, riveter, grease gun, media blaster, etc.).
I used it with my old CP air gun, until I bought an electric Milwaukee impact wrench. The compressor worked fine with the Chicago...

Old 06-24-2019, 07:16 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I currently own the Dewalt 15 gallon 200 PSI version, so guessing it is similar to the one you're looking at with a smaller tank. Regarding the compressor I like it, albeit tad on the noisy side but manageable. It is the upright model and given the psi / capacity puts decent amount of ooomph in a smallf floor space. I stuck to oil free as my harbor freight cheapy struggled starting when it was cold out and it filled the garage with oil smells and most "good" oiled compressors were 220v from the looking I did. The regulator did fail but that was a very easy / quick rebuild fix with ebay parts.

I'm not too worried about motor longevity of oil-free as it gets very little use these days having moved mostly on to electric so it is relegated to: air chisel, compressed air cleaning, tire inflating, and the brake fluid bleeder. For me, the added weight of electric is offset by not having air hoses to drag around and the cycle time of waiting for pressure to build. Curious your experience with battery powered, the modern tools (i.e. Milwaukee Fuel M18) are ridiculously powerful.