S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Best Source for crush washers?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:22 AM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Best Source for crush washers?

I've needed to change my differential fluid for a month or so now, but my dealer didn't have the crush washers in stock. I ordered them, but they don't know when they will come in. I've looked at a couple different online suppliers, including HandA, Hondapartsnow, and thehondapartsstore and all want about $10 shipping for less than $2 worth of washers that you could ship for the cost of a first class stamp! I know it's only $10, but paying that much for shipping on two flimsy washers pisses me off, is there a better source to use with more realistic rates? Or should I just throw a couple extra things in the order to get more stuff for my shipping $$$?
Old 04-25-2011, 06:08 AM

Received 3,429 Likes on 2,474 Posts

if you have your old one on hand you can try to match one up at a local auto parts store, they are usually kept where they sell the generic oil drain bolts.

If you are in a bind you can re-use the existing washer if it is in decent shape and still have some thickness to it. They last quite a while and being copper they deform to the proper shape with each use.

When I bought my car the washer was thinner than paper and was fused to the fill bolt, it must have been re-used about a dozen times perhaps never replaced since leaving the factory, and it still was not leaking. I would not have an issue re-using them 2-3 times if needed. In fact I have re-used my current one twice now because it is still in good shape, despite me having some spares on hand.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with an online supplier and buy 5+ of each washer plus some other stuff you may need in the future. I tossed in one of each bolt too just in case I break or screw one up at some point.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Google "Majestic Honda". That's where I get mine......

Utah
Old 04-25-2011, 05:30 PM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

order a large quantity, they are cheap and a necessity for fluid changes. I've never heard of a dealer not having crush washers in stock .

Buy here: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=3241
Old 04-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vanishing Point
order a large quantity, they are cheap and a necessity for fluid changes. I've never heard of a dealer not having crush washers in stock .

Buy here: http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pro...p?Product=3241
Exactly. Them not being in stock would mean they are re-using crush washers on fluid changes ...
Old 04-25-2011, 06:14 PM

I bought mine online from HandA whenever I stocked up on my fluids.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:14 PM

My dealer does not carry the copper crush washers like the one on the diff, I have to order them in, they only seem to carry the ones for the oil drain bolt. Heck they don't even carry the pcx oil filter in stock , they have to be ordered in. They re-use crush washers and use a generic smaller size oil filter if an s2k should come in unexpectedly for fluid changes, dumb setup.
Old 04-25-2011, 08:18 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

putting on my flame suit...
honestly... once i used a washer i flip it over and put it back on and tq it down,
then replace it.
napa has crush washers for diff oil and tranny and there cheap,
but i always forget where i put them so i flip it
Old 04-26-2011, 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by s2cho
putting on my flame suit...
honestly... once i used a washer i flip it over and put it back on and tq it down,
then replace it.
napa has crush washers for diff oil and tranny and there cheap,
but i always forget where i put them so i flip it
Quite honestly I don't see anything wrong with re-using a good washer one time like you describe. My fluid change intervals are pretty short and often the washers look to be in perfect shape upon removal that it's fine to re-use them once. They are thick enough that you can re-use them safely IMO. Like I mentioned above I know the previous owner of my car must have used the same diff. fill bolt washer for at least 8 years, and I seen no signs of leakage or loosening when I did my first drain and fill on it. I've never seen a washer that thin in my life, it was crazy, lol.

Quick Reply: Best Source for crush washers?