S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Big brakes that fit standard wheels!!!!!

Old 03-07-2001, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Started project of better brakes July 2000. Felt that car had the most advanced engine, transmission, and suspension. Brakes worked great on street but did not have features that rest of car had. Wanted to improve over all braking performance and with open wheel spokes wanted better looking braking system. I went to all the venders that I could find Brembo, AP Racing , Porsche brake kits , Wilwood, Alcon, Project-Mu,Spoon, Movin-it, Nissin, and Baer plus others. I found out that none had system that was ready for S-2000. Companies that started development (Brembo,Spoon, Project-Mu) had problems fitting calipers in existing wheels and spacers were required or special offset wheels. You will find that Honda's (In-wheel)suspention does not leave much room for brakes. I decided to build a brake kit using finest components that I could find.
GOALS:
1 Fit stock wheels
2 Lighter
3 Easier to change pads
4 Better selection of pads
5 Improved cooling
6 Increased rotor dia.
7 reduce weight of rotor
8 increase clamping force
9 reduce flexing of caliper assembly
10 make servicing of brakes easier
11 reduce drag on rotor when not braking

I have chosen:
4 piston forged aluminum caliper (racin unit)
two peice rotor assembly with 12.19 dia. forged aluninum center hat , cast iron directional vane racing replaceable rotors ( left and right are different ) for Luis
custom milled aircraft aluminum adapter bracket
Earl's Hyperfirm D.O.T. Stainless braided steel brake lines (Earl's is the only company that has successfully passed all D.O.T. tests in a D.O.T. contracted test laboratory. Each line is tested to 4,000 psi before it is shipped . Most fittings are stainless)
custom bent stainless steel solid brake line
Old 03-07-2001, 09:48 PM

What caliper are you going to use? Maybe there is enough interest to do a small production run of the hats and brackets.
Old 03-08-2001, 05:01 AM

I will post second part of my project later tonight . This project comes out of my love of this Honda . I have set up entire kit so that we can make runs of 5 to 10 kits each time . I can also customize kits for people with more money or special needs . The costs and time invested is very high but when you enjoy what you are doing it makes it all worth it.

brad
6410 silver from:
(the north coast of america)
Old 03-08-2001, 06:38 PM

Part 2
When winter came to Ohio I had front suspension measured and put on CAD so I could figure out what space was available for brakes . I found forged calipers that would fit space and had brackets engineered and prototypes manufactured . I had custom rigid lines made. special valves were made to fit Honda master cylinder so that racing calipers could be used. Stock brake lines were sent to Earl's to produce prototypes for both stock and custom lines.
I will be measuring weight reduction of kit as final parts arrive. I can tell you now that it is going to be a very large reduction!!! The calipers use standard racing brake pads so Hawk,Wilwood , or many others can be used.
Because I have every thing on CAD I could make custom kits for people with special needs . Also can supply super light aerospace type rotors for any one that wants the lightest and very high heat rejection.
Love my S-2000 and can't wait for some nice weather and the drive to Ashville.
brad
Old 03-12-2001, 02:27 PM

to the top

brad
Old 03-18-2001, 09:33 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great concept..keep us posted! One note though. Request Earl's products your using have 304L CRES (Corrosion Resistant Steel) B-Nuts. If the "stainless" fittings are the same material for both male and female, galling may result. Then you won't be able to get them apart later .
Old 03-18-2001, 06:42 PM

Utah S2K
You are correct , I will check with Earl's because rigid line on drivers side had to be custom made and I had it made out of SS and I did not let them know . Will call tomorrow and make sure no problems . I am sure that their lines do not have any problems .

Ordering special Aluminum to make production adapters tomorrow . Hope to have brakes on next weekend.

brad