S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Billman's TCT

Old 09-26-2018, 10:54 AM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Purchased mine and @Billman250 had mine in my hands 2 days later via USPS Priority Mail. It was an easy 15-minute replacement that didn't require anything more involved than removing the airbox cover. Right angle needle nose pliars helped with removing the pin. I took the opportunity to replace my air filter while in there. My 2004 no longer sounds like a diesel truck at idle. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2019, 07:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Alternative to Billman TCT?

Hi All,

This is my first post! Apologies a bit lengthy and might I say what an amazing resource this forum is!

I'm based in Hong Kong and have a S2000 Type-S! Pic attached below and it's 100% OEM (except for some Ferodo pads I got recently). It's similar to the CR you have in the US except with a soft top! Details on the Type-S from Wiki below in case you were interested! Having searched the forum it seems the Billman TCT is the best bet. I did PM Billman but unfortunately he won't sell to me as I am not US based. I read in previous posts that he occasionally sells internationally but has had cases where he would never receive the core OEM back. So to mitigate all of that risk, I offered to pay up front for his TCT and that he ships me the Billman version only AFTER he has received my OEM core. But seems he won't ship internationally though I can provide a US address via friends or forwarding address. I'm not sure why business can't be done internationally though and would be happy to sort out any concerns there might be. I can only assume that there must have been some nightmare international orders in the past, but that's not going to be me.

I'm a legit S2K owner and car enthusiast and in the process of looking to do a full servicing to the car including upgrading the TCT (yes it's ticking already at around the equivalent of 40k miles), valve adjustment, changing idler and tensioner pulley (not just the bearings) and serpentine belt, greasing up the gear shift mechanism (I got me some HONDA super hi temp urea grease!), new NGK spark plugs, air filter, cabin filter, new tires (already installed Bridgestone Potenza RE71R), new wiper blades, protectant for vinyl roof, and changing all the fluids soon. I already bought the Honda MTF for the trans, will change clutch fluid, and got Motul 600 for the brake fluid.

Back to the point, are there other TCT's then besides the Billman version that you would recommend? I can obviously get the OEM version and I have watched enough videos to install it with the right torque specs on every bolt including the access port to pull the pin out.

I do hope that @Billman250 will change his mind, but whatever the outcome is, I fully respect his decision. Perhaps the next time I'm in the US area (frequent business trips to New York actually), I could bring my OEM core for a quick swap. I don't know where the location of the shop is but heck if it's not too far, maybe I even swing by. We also have an S2K club over here that I'm looking to join. Maybe this could be the beginning of some new business! S2K club pic gathering below showing just a few of the cars.

My S2K Type-S!

S2K Club gathering.

Type-S write-up from Wiki:

"The Japanese domestic market received the Type S edition for the last two years of production (2008–2009). Changes are similar to the U.S. market's CR edition, sharing the weight loss, a purpose built bodykit providing much higher downforce, bespoke wheels and interior. Although it shares the wheels with the CR edition, the Type S retains the rear tyre size of 245/40R-17 for better handling. A specific Type S suspension setup with improved geometry was designed to enhance the handling, the setup is stiffer but more compromising than the CR setup to suit it better to everyday spirited driving and the Japanese touge experience. The Type S retains its soft top folding mechanism.

The interior is a Type S specific yellow and black alcantara material scheme (similar to the CR). Leather interior from the standard S2000 was available as a no cost option. The aluminum shift knob with reduced shift stroke is shared with the CR. While the CR is designed to be a pure track car, the Type S is designed for improved handling and retains some creature comforts. Only 1,755 copies of the Type S were made and sold exclusively in Japan. (2007:168 units, 2008:827 units, 2009:737 units, 2010 [Jan-Jun]:23 units)"
Old 02-15-2019, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a quick update here. I have exchanged a few PMs with Billman and we are working on getting a TCT! There were a few concerns over international orders which are totally understandable which we have squared out.
Old 02-15-2019, 10:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There is a user on here with almost 400k miles and hasn't changed his TCT

Last edited by Billman250; 05-09-2019 at 07:50 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 12:09 AM
Site Moderator

Received 348 Likes on 302 Posts

uh huh. And who has 400k miles and never replaced a tct? There isn't many users with anywhere near that kind of mileage on their car and I somewhat doubt the tct has never been replaced at all. Also by this logic the ballade one is also a massive ripoff since it costs more than oem which you can also just order from a website without “freaking PayPal.” Also the Billman one ends up costing less when you send your core in which is common with many auto parts.

Edit found it. This is what you are talking about? Hardly an apples to apples comparison since his oiling system is not oem. Go ahead and don’t change your oil for 40k miles and see how that goes for you. Still holds true that if you go by this the ballade one is also a way overpriced.
Originally Posted by slalom44
I replaced the original clutch at 330,000 miles due to a frozen throwout bearing. The clutch plate itself wasn't even close to being worn out. Still on original timing chain and TCT without any problems.

I installed an Amsoil dual remote bypass filter and an electric prelube pump when the car was almost new, and have extended my oil change intervals to 40,000 miles.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/4886349/1

Tons of websites use PayPal and many buyers prefer to use it as it offers a layer of security rather than just entering your card into every website or to any person.

You seem to believe what just about anyone else tells you including the random autozone worker. Your free to make your own decisions but when there is overwhelming recommendations for something and you ignore it because one person says contrary it makes me wonder why you even asked in the first place.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:04 AM

Received 1,280 Likes on 782 Posts

With all due respect, the only thing that matters is the chain tension. My TCT shares no similarities at all with any other on the market, ESPECIALLY with respect to chain tension.

My "store" is S2KI and it's all I'll ever need.

My unit is $260, and has gone up 10 bucks since 2014.

I find it humorous that those who don't know me think they need to shell out business advice. Business is just fine for the last 40 years. "Selling more units" is not and will never be my goal. Setting the chain tension to perfection and preserving the life of the S2000 has always been the goal of my posts here, and that is what sells them.

Last edited by Billman250; 02-16-2019 at 04:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
freq (03-23-2019)
Old 02-18-2019, 12:30 AM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah i dont think Billman's goal was to make a profit selling his TCT unit. He's a S2000 enthusiast and mechanic dedicated to the longevity of the few that are still out there. Its a project of passion. Just received my TCT from Billman in the mail and will be installing it within the next week. The ordering process was honestly easier than using an online store and Billman was prompt with his response and a tracking number.

There is really no reason not to go with a Billman. Go with a Ballade sports one if you want but you will need a timing gear to help with adjustments to the stretch that the chain experiences through its lifetime. If you watch the engineering explained video he bought one and installed it. If you take that cost into account plus the fact the Ballade Sports TCT is $275 (plus shipping), you're well over the 500$ range. Billman's is 260$ after the core refund and he's engineered it so that you dont need a timing gear. Honestly a hands down easy decision. Cheaper and you dont need to replace or add other parts.

Engineering Explained probably went with the Ballade sports TCT more due to the fact that its easier for him to tell people a website rather than tell them to make an account on s2ki.com and then PM Billman.

Either way, i know my S2k is set for the rest of its lifespan and its another part i now never have to worry about.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:20 AM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Engineering Explained (Jason?) obviously didn't have a clue about the S2000 when he bought it. That's evident in some of his modifications to the car and his lack of presence here. Guys with popular Youtube channels get free evaluation stuff all the time too.

Billman's contributions here are more than enough reason to buy his TCT.

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 02-18-2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old 02-18-2019, 05:42 AM

Received 93 Likes on 52 Posts

Briefly interacted with Billman at the dragon years ago and on the forums when I needed help via PM, and I can say that he is not here to rip anyone off. He is simply very successful and passionate about his work... it is lonely at the top right? . As for the tensioner, let the product speak for itself.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:10 AM

Received 1,568 Likes on 932 Posts

Too bad he does not have a twin in California!

Quick Reply: Billman's TCT