S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Blown MOtor

Old 04-30-2008, 04:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

BUY A SECONDHAND MOTOR!

Your GF's relative has offered free labour. Changing a long block is stretching the friendship as it is. I'll bet the offer doesn't extend to an engine rebuild.

FYI, you can't just slap some standard pistons in. You can bet the cylinder wall is scored and will need: (for light scoring) bore and hone; (for heavy scoring) bore, sleeving, bore and hone. If you don't understand these terms, GOOGLE. Just know that this is machining/engineering work and not in the bailiwick of you average mechanic.

Also, to bore or even just hone you have to completely disassemble the block. That is, remove all pistons, the crank and all bearings. It's a lot of work. I know, I've done it.

So, I repeat:

BUY A SECONDHAND MOTOR!

And leave the mini-drifting to those that have A) a clue B) sponsors with deep pockets.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aus i would take your wonderful advice and very helpfull but i just can the motors down here cost 4000.00 my g/f uncle did offer to rebuild it because i am part of the family( g.f of 7yrs) he told me he was going to hone it and he has in his shop a special machine for it. I am just worried. The block i bought was just a bare blocck no pistons
Old 04-30-2008, 05:38 PM

Ok, then good luck to you. Just make sure he understands FRM cylinder liners.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM

Aus but one more question. If the block i bought, the seller said all i had to do was hone it. why does the fiber reinforced metal matter, if it already has it done.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:45 PM

please help out
Old 04-30-2008, 05:49 PM

Why would you expect honda to fix it? You went around drifting...

As for the engine mysteriously losing power, im gonna call BS on. If what the mechanic said that happened then its 100% clear its an over-rev.

From now on dont go around driving like a fool if you dont have the money to fix when something goes wrong, happened to me once. Mis-shifted, bent all the valves in the first week of owning it after dishing out 15k I didnt have any money to fix it. But I was honest about it and didnt try to make honda fix it since it was clear what had happened and that there was no way to hide it. Start putting some money aside, the s2000 is not a cheap car to take care of.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 PM

If the cylinder wall is scored lightly you have to hone. If it is scored deeply you have to rebore and hone. You can only get one step larger pistons from Honda. If the scratch is any deeper you cut through the FRM layer so you have to bore and sleeve.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:26 PM

Thanks Aus GREAt help. And for GB okay im an honest guy first off. Now i might not know too much about cars but you dont have to be a mechanic to know that s2k have a revv limiter and assuming that s2k are sports cars and it could take alittle abuse the driver dishes out. Now the reason why i thought it was the dealers fault was because they gave the car to me with no oil and ontop of that when they changed the oil i was noticing leaks on the floor. Now anyone knows i CAN fight this with something called the lemon law. Or i can say that they sold me a defect car from get go. Maybe even going as far as requesting the 5point inspection that they didnt have when they sold me the car.Point in case it wasnt NO buy here pay Here.

I would like to thank aus for the last post i did research and i am somewhat understanding FRM
Old 04-30-2008, 06:38 PM

[QUOTE=Monsterofacar,Apr 30 2008, 10:26 PM] Thanks Aus GREAt help. And for GB okay im an honest guy first off. Now i might not know too much about cars but you dont have to be a mechanic to know that s2k have a revv limiter and assuming that s2k are sports cars and it could take alittle abuse the driver dishes out. Now the reason why i thought it was the dealers fault was because they gave the car to me with no oil and ontop of that when they changed the oil i was noticing leaks on the floor. Now anyone knows i CAN fight this with something called the lemon law. Or i can say that they sold me a defect car from get go. Maybe even going as far as requesting the 5point inspection
Old 04-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Well You DONT remember correctly "The term of protection is for the first 18 months or 24,000 miles on new leased or used cars from the date of delivery , whichever occurs first". I am sure honda does see 1 or 2 s2k's a week with bent valves but in this case i did not over revv and im sure if the cost is coming out of pocket from me now i would tell you guys i F-up but i am not. Now im not to knowledgable on cars but dont, you need oil lubrication on the motor so it can run? also thinking why would it be cylinder 4. can it be that oil was present on 1-3 and didnt reach 4 correct me if im wrong. Maybe you might live in another state but on my state of FLORIDA. Thats how it goes down over here but wait you live in orlando you should know.

I am not going to give into this back and forward because im here for people like AUs and other to help me out. So if you want to argue gtfo

Quick Reply: Blown MOtor