S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Brake cylinder

Old 05-31-2009, 02:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Brake cylinder

Help, I NEED HELP!!

While doing brake fluid change, I pumped the brake paddle while the rear brake caliper is not clamping on anything. And therefore the brake caliber cylinders extended a little to much (I think)

The cylinder it self is still on the caliper, but I couldn't push it back in and I've tried almost everything.

Is there a special method to the rear calipers? That's different from the front? Cos I've managed to push the front ones back in..

HELP!!!!!
Old 05-31-2009, 03:16 AM

its very hard to get back in. You have to make damn sure its goig in properly or you risk messing up the seals. YOu can use a C-clamp to push it back in.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:35 AM

It got back in.. Thanks for the advise.

I found a trick.. the rear caliper cylinder had a cross patten on it. And I've found I can jam a screw driver in the cross and use it to rotate the piston while pushing it in.

It's really strange cos I rotate one direction it would come back out and rotate another direction it would screw in..... wtf....

----------
Just finished flashing in brake fluid, installed in Ferodo DS2500 pads and bedded the pads..

Question:

While I was bedding in the brake pads, on maximum pressure, ABS kicked in and I found my brake paddle is touching the firewall.

I used Billman's method of gravity bleed. while bedding the pads in, and he said the most solid paddle. . . Errr... is it me.... or I'm under the impression most assisted brake system in automotive won't be as solid as a direct master cylinder => caliper...

I could have done something wrong.. or broken the piston seal like ikeyballz said...
Old 05-31-2009, 05:51 AM

Bloody hell.... 1PM until 11PM for a brake pad change plus new brake fluid... I'll be making a loss if I'm a mechanic..

Old 05-31-2009, 06:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You are correct, Wombo. Because of the parking brake, you must screw the rear pistons back into the calipers. You CANNOT push them back in with a C-clamp.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:37 PM

LOL. ya I found that one out..

I'm curious about the internal working of the park brake on the rear caliper piston.. how and why did they designed it so piston needed to screw back in..

Could some one answer the question about ABS? When ABS kicks in, could you press the brake paddle all the way to the fire wall??

The thing is when I brake ultra hard, ie ABS came in, the brake paddle could touch the firewall. Well ABS kicked it before the brake paddle touched the fire wall, but once ABS came in, I was able to press the paddle harder and deeper and touched the fire wall!!!
Old 06-01-2009, 02:40 AM

Ah. My apologies for almost screwing up the car. I didnt know the s2k's rear brakes were like that . As far as I know, your pedals should NOT be touching the firewall. Sounds like you didnt bleed it enough, and there are some air bubbles that are compressing as you push the brakes harder.